+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A word of encouragement for IT people !!

indoire

Aug 25, 2016
Just wanted to share a little nice story !

I got my first job in 3rd week after my landing. It was low paying job in IT but still a job :)

I got my second job (government job in IT) within 3 months.

Work on your CV and keep applying, there will be enough interviews, at least in IT.

I don't know a single person in Canada, came here on my own. I'm Indian lived in Ireland 10 years and just moved to Canada. I didn't plan to settle down here, just wanted to see how it goes.

A lesson for Newcomers with a story if you like :- It was my 2nd week and I was sitting in YMCA to print out something, there was an Indian woman sitting beside me, she was talking to YMCA's employee and I overheard her, she was doctor and struggling to find work. She has been here over a year or something. She was very cocky woman, talking like I'm a doctor, I can do this and that in my country, what is this nonsense in Canada, not able to find any kinda work here.
I tried to say Hello to her after they finished talking. She didn't even acknowledge my Hello properly. She asked me very rudely how long u been here, I said 1 week. She smiled sarcastically and said Welcome to Canada in a very taunting way. I tried to pursue conversation and she said straight 'I don't have time'.

So I'm trying to say, talk to people, learn how to behave. Living in your own community with your own people, spending 24 hours there, You wouldn't learn anything and wouldn't get anything. Go out and talk to people. Don't underestimate anyone !!

I worked in well known Pharma companies 8 years and now got a job in Hospital. Could have given her some lead.

Reactions: DiNaV

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Thanks for your encouraging posts. IMO, the key to survival in Canada is forget what you were and did in your home country, shed the ego and pride, be humble and let people know that you are looking for work.

shakira2009

Star Member
Aug 29, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
first Manila, now Tokyo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-10-2005
AOR Received.
06-11-2005
File Transfer...
10-10-2009
Med's Request
25-01-2010
Med's Done....
10-02-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
25-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2010
LANDED..........
10-09-2010
indoire and xpressentry

Thanks for your encouraging posts! I totally agree with both of you. It's a matter of ATTITUDE !

I belong to a wonderful non-profit in Toronto that organizes networking events, mentoring and study sessions for newcomers. If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me. I can't post it here because the post would get deleted. I promise I won't sell you anything, I'll just give you information and it's up to you to participate :)