+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

a proof of English language ability

kaka_melano

May 24, 2010
hi,

I’m graduated from UK this year and i have got my PhD from one of ranked universities. Do you think it is sufficient as a proof of English language ability?

Thanks

Anil_Toronto

Star Member
May 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2009 (Nova Scotia - Centralised Intake Office)
AOR Received.
14-01-2010 (at Buffalo)
File Transfer...
11-05-2010 (NY Visa office)
Med's Request
11-08-2010 (NY Visa office)
Med's Done....
12-08-2010 (Toronto)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-03-2011
LANDED..........
11-03-2011
Unless u did a degree in english language. You can write a letter explaining your education and skill level in english - but it will be left on the decision of the Immigration officer. The 2nd option is give IELTS, get the desired scores and then you don't have to worry about the application being held/delayed on Language ability grounds.

asd

Dec 19, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you give explanation when you live in a country whose mother language is english & your studies wher conducted by english , otherwise you have to submit ielts

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Non native english speakers are required to do IELTS if they want points under language proficiency, exception will be in the case where non native speaker had studied in native english speaking country at elementary / secondary level. Studying for certificate level/ graduate level/ post grad level/ professional cource/ working on office where english is used / staying in native english speaking country for long time / bla bla bla will not fetch any points.

& why shy away from IELTS if anyone consider that his/ her english is good.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you read the instructions, you may notice that it's strongly recommended to take IELTS unless your first language is English. If you decide to ignore that and go with a written submission anyway, it will be completely up to the immigration officer if they give you any points.

Loads of people have studied/graduated from univerities in English speaking countries even though their English isn't the best. Loads of people have lived and worked in English speaking countries even though their English isn't the best. Loads of people have tried to trick CIC into thinking that their English is very good because they have studied or worked in an English speaking country for a while. That's why CIC wants you to take IELTS. If your English is as good as you think it is, it should be a breeze and nobody will be able to refute your points. If you go with a written submission, it's your risk to take. Up to you.

misty02

Apr 13, 2010
some1 pardon me, what should the validity of IELTS result be during submission of initial documents to CIO? i heard "so long is valid its ok regardless of the

remaining months or week before expiration?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
misty02 said:
some1 pardon me, what should the validity of IELTS result be during submission of initial documents to CIO? i heard "so long is valid its ok regardless of the

remaining months or week before expiration?
Your IELTS must be less than 1 year old at the time you apply. After that it doesn't matter.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
misty02 said:
thanks for the responds,
will it matter also if i have 6 in all bands?
No, it does not matter unless you need more points. 6.0 in all bands is moderate and will give you 8 points total.

seanbalanon

Feb 18, 2014
Hi under language ability,

There's a question stating that

I have used English or French as the primary language of communication at work No Yes - How long?
*I completed my secondary or post-secondary education in English or French

Do I have to provide a proof and documents here while I already have an ielts result?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

seanbalanon said:
Hi under language ability,

There's a question stating that

I have used English or French as the primary language of communication at work No Yes - How long?
*I completed my secondary or post-secondary education in English or French

Do I have to provide a proof and documents here while I already have an ielts result?
A valid General IELTs is your proof of language ability