+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A liberal promise: residency time credit to be restored towards citizenship

robw

Mar 10, 2014
I highly recommend that everyone here contact the MP in their riding and tell them that you're counting on them to stick to their clearly-worded promise on restoring the residency credit. Obviously you need to wait until the new government is formed, but make sure you do that...just a short 2 paragraph email. If you can, drop by the office of the MP and speak to their staff. Make your voice heard. I know a lot of you (myself included) who come from autocratic countries are skeptical of how effective the democratic process is, but this is no time to be cynical.

Frankly, I think all of us need to be more involved in the political process. Sure we're outsiders with no voting powers in this country, but obviously some immigrants had Trudeau's ear seeing as though his party made that promise. The real challenge is holding him to it and that needs a lot of people speaking out. Like others have said, amending or repealing laws is no trivial matter, and if we don't push hard for this the lib have no reason to engage in this process...especially since it involves a segment of the population that can't vote. So the case you want to make is that if such a law passes it will usher in a huge new cohort of future liberal voters (again, like others have said here).

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SevenWonders said:
I lived in Toronto between Aug 2012 and September 2013.I have a 1year full time Post-Grad Diploma from a Canadian College,afterwards I applyed for a post graduation working visa,but I didn't apply for the PR because I didn't have the full time work experience I needed.
With the new policies,what would be the best way to qualify for a PR?Will the time I resided in Canada be enough?Would I have to come back later to get the working experience I need?Or is it too late?
In advanced,thank you for your help
Your question is not related to this thread.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I'd like to see this restored. It was the main thing in C-24 that I had an issue with. But I'm not sure if they'll get around to it. Of the two bills, C-51 was the more hot topic. Likely the Liberals was take a look at changing that one and C-24 gets thrown in the backburner

websphereguy

Mar 28, 2012
Singapore
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17 Jan 2014
Doc's Request.
send altogether during filing
Nomination.....
17 Apr 2014
Med's Request
23 Jun 2014
Med's Done....
02 Oct 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
08 Apr 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 Apr 2015
LANDED..........
02 May 2015
chikloo said:
I also voted Liberal. Glad to hear that you are all positive. Not to rain on your parade. It is not that easy to repeal a law. It is not a Bill C24 IT is a law now. All part of it has come into effect. Justin will be first busy learning the day to day activities of being a PM. To get to Immigration it will take him a while. So If I were you I would not hold my breath. Enjoy life in Canada. You will become a citizen.

Also please don't think I'm saying this because I have crossed the bridge. A lot of my friends have been affected by the new law and they are also a little unhappy. Having said that there life is not affected in anyway. They still travel in and out as much as they want. They even have Nexus card which allows easier entry and exit than a regular Canadian citizen without Nexus.

So all the best for your citizenship Journey. I hope Liberals make the promises that they have given.
Didn't know that PR holders can apply for Nexus. Thanks for sharing that info.

subha_1962

Dec 20, 2013
Also read the new conversation thread started by morgan yesterday on "Bringing Back 3 Year Residency by Repealing Bill C-24"

gavin_cic

Star Member
Dec 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20 Nov, 2014
Doc's Request.
28 May, 2015
Nomination.....
PER on 10 Feb, 2015
Med's Request
28 May, 2015
Med's Done....
15 June, 2015 (TLU: 30 June, 2015)
Passport Req..
11 Jan, 2016
LANDED..........
1 Feb, 2016
Very impressive about the analysis of dpenabill, and glad to see Diplomatru over here - you are everywhere.

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gavin_cic said:
Very impressive about the analysis of dpenabill, and glad to see Diplomatru over here - you are everywhere.
You are welcome to this thread gavin_cic! Good stuff to keep in mind while you walking your pathway to Cit.

YoyoTofi

Star Member
Apr 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
Do you know if this includes a protected person people who entered Canada as a refugees? Or only the international students and workers?