A few questions regarding being sponsored by spouse while in Canada

Fruityfull22

Star Member
May 13, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,

I have been in Quebec since august 2014 as a tourist and i applied for an extension a few months back. That accepted extension ends june 30th and meanwhile i am applying for spousal sponsorship (which i will send them immediately when i can include the marriage certificate in 3 weeks from now)

First of all, i thought that the processing times for spousal sponsorship only took 41 days if you applied online(no idea where i got this from)
But now i checked again and it said 18 or 25 months.

What is correct and what is not? My plan was that if it takes longer than 30th june to be accepted to wait it out in Europe, The Netherlands(Where im from), but my baby will be born in August this year and the baby wont be Canadian if born in Holland(though his father is canadian)?

But if it wil take 18 months or longer i dont know if i have to adjust the plan or apply for something else to be with my husband? Do i apply for another extension or permanent residency or something else?

Any information will be very appreciated! Thank you.

d_j_heckford

Feb 16, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2015
Doc's Request.
13-10-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt Decision Made: 26-11-15
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2015
Outland is def. the preferred method of applying for most applicants now a days due to it being a speedier process. Inland Canada for both phases you have a 25 month wait, and can be even longer then that if something comes up and require additional documents to a query they have of you. Your choice of course, but I got one going outland. I am canadian in the UK and i am returning in August to Canada

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
Your visa processing office would be Vienna, Austria, which is currently quoting 17 months for Stage 2... however, that is 17 months for 80% of applications. So if your application is complete and straight-forward, you can probably expect it to be faster than that. Worth doing a check around for others who have applied via Vienna to get a better and more realistic idea of processing times.

You also can't apply online for spousal sponsorship, it has to be on paper, and the application is pretty big.

d_j_heckford

Feb 16, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2015
Doc's Request.
13-10-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2015
Also if you submit your application inside Canada then yes you have to extend your visit Visa and must have a valid status throughout the entire application process until a final decision is made on your case

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
SchnookoLoly said:
however, that is 17 months for 80% of applications.
which really means 80% of applications are processed WITHIN 17 months. meaning, a majority of applications are processed in less than that time. The way it's written is misleading, and is not an accurate picture of what to expect. the vienna thread is pretty active, so you will want to ask there what to expect. i believe vienna may be around 8-10 months?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Fruityfull22 said:
but my baby will be born in August this year and the baby wont be Canadian if born in Holland(though his father is canadian)?
If the father was born in Canada or is a naturalized Canadian, the child will be Canadian regardless of where s/he is born.

Fruityfull22

Star Member
May 13, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Isnt it true that after you send them the sponsorship application you cannot leave canada because your application is in process?

I think a good option would be to extend my stay for a second time anyone?

Fruityfull22

Star Member
May 13, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
If the father was born in Canada or is a naturalized Canadian, the child will be Canadian regardless of where s/he is born.

yes he was born here like the rest of his family thank you

d_j_heckford

Feb 16, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2015
Doc's Request.
13-10-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2015
Fruityfull22 said:
Isnt it true that after you send them the sponsorship application you cannot leave canada because your application is in process?

I think a good option would be to extend my stay for a second time anyone?
You are allowed to leave Canada when sponsorship is going on Inland. They tell you not to because if you leave and attempt re-entry and the cbsa officer denies you entry, it can cause serious harm to your application status hence they advise against it.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
If you apply INLAND then as long as you apply while having valid status and submit an application for OWP along with PR app, there is no need to ever extend your status again as you would be able to stay in Canada under "implied" status for entire duration (2+ years) of processing. With an inland app you would get an OWP sometime after around 4+ months. Also with the inland app, it's advised to stay within Canada for entire 2+ years of processing time, just in case you ever left and were denied re-entry.

If you apply OUTLAND then in order to stay in Canada during processing, you would need to keep extending your visitor status. Also there is no OWP associated with an outland app. Outland apps are sent to CPC-Mississauga, and then they are forwarded to Vienna visa office for final processing. You can also come and go from Canada as you please during the outland process, with no fear of having your app cancelled.

Check the thread for Vienna officer to see what times people are actually seeing today, but expect it would take 1 year or less to get full PR status outland.

Fruityfull22

Star Member
May 13, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
If you apply INLAND then as long as you apply while having valid status and submit an application for OWP along with PR app, there is no need to ever extend your status again as you would be able to stay in Canada under "implied" status for entire duration (2+ years) of processing. With an inland app you would get an OWP sometime after around 4+ months. Also with the inland app, it's advised to stay within Canada for entire 2+ years of processing time, just in case you ever left and were denied re-entry.

If you apply OUTLAND then in order to stay in Canada during processing, you would need to keep extending your visitor status. Also there is no OWP associated with an outland app. Outland apps are sent to CPC-Mississauga, and then they are forwarded to Vienna visa office for final processing. You can also come and go from Canada as you please during the outland process, with no fear of having your app cancelled.

Check the thread for Vienna officer to see what times people are actually seeing today, but expect it would take 1 year or less to get full PR status outland.
Ah your amazing Rob thanks for all the needed information.
However i dont know what OWP stands for and what it is? I personally thought that if my husband sponsors me that that is the same as PR or that that request is withing the files you need to fill in? Is it a seperate thing different than sponsorship?

So basically, (if i understood you correctly) I can send my sponsorship application before june(the date my extension expires) I can just stay here in quebec without having to take care of something else?

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
You need to read up on the difference between applying inland vs applying outland.

The short version:

Inland: You apply from within Canada. You submit an open work permit (OWP) with your application. You'll get it in 4ish months. The total time to PR is a bit over 2 years, and is processed entirely within Canada by Canadian offices. It is not suggested you leave Canada until you have your OWP.

Outland: You can be inside or outside of Canada, but you apply as if you are outside of Canada. The application will stay in Canada for the initial sponsor approval (~3 months) then will be sent to Vienna for stage 2 processing. During this time you can stay in Canada but only as a visitor, unless you can get a work permit through another route. You can stay outside of Canada or be inside of Canada as a visitor while your application is processing. There is no OWP option with an outland application. Based on Vienna's average, you'd have PR in about a year.

Fruityfull22

Star Member
May 13, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SchnookoLoly said:
You need to read up on the difference between applying inland vs applying outland.

The short version:

Inland: You apply from within Canada. You submit an open work permit (OWP) with your application. You'll get it in 4ish months. The total time to PR is a bit over 2 years, and is processed entirely within Canada by Canadian offices. It is not suggested you leave Canada until you have your OWP.

Outland: You can be inside or outside of Canada, but you apply as if you are outside of Canada. The application will stay in Canada for the initial sponsor approval (~3 months) then will be sent to Vienna for stage 2 processing. During this time you can stay in Canada but only as a visitor, unless you can get a work permit through another route. You can stay outside of Canada or be inside of Canada as a visitor while your application is processing. There is no OWP option with an outland application. Based on Vienna's average, you'd have PR in about a year.
Why the OWP when i want to apply for sponsorship to be with my husband only explain pls

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
Please read up on it.

Sponsorship isn't immediate. Inland sponsorship takes 25 months. If you want to hang out for 25 months without being able to work, then that's fine. However, if you want to work, you can apply for an OWP alongside your inland application. That will allow oyu to work while your sponsorship is in process.