+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A couple of questions about leaving-coming back

inaina

Nov 3, 2009
Hello guys,

I thought that instead of sitting in front of my computer and stressing out like crazy I should try asking you. It would be great if you could share what you already know with me.

My boyfriend`s Canadian and I`m from visa exempt country. I`ve lived in Canada with him for a year now and have entered the country 3 times so far. I feel like I`ve been really lucky, because have never had major problems dealing with immigration people. Now my 6 months are coming to an end again and I need to leave the country. When (if...) I`m back, my boyfriend and I most likely will get married. What`s the shortest amount of time that I need to leave the country for in order to come back and have another 6 months to stay here? Does the fact that when I came back to Canada for the 3rd time the immigration officer hand-wrote the date of my next leave in my passport mean anything? Do I still have a chance to come back to the country, even though I have resided here for so long and it's my 4th time of re-entering? And if I get denied, will there be a certain amount of time that I can`t come back to Canada for?

I'll be very grateful if you could help me.
Thank you!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you can prove that you have lived together for 12 months, your boyfriend can apply to sponsor you right now.

The general understanding about visiting is that you should not spend more time visiting than you do at home. Instead of leaving and coming back, the "by the book" policy would be to apply for a visit status extension. You would have to show that you have the funds to support yourself in Canada or that your boyfriend will support you. There is no guarantee that your visit extension would be approved and there is also no guarantee that you will not have problems if you try to leave and re-enter again. Generally speaking, they are not supposed to let you in as a visitor if they believe you are not visiting. Like you said yourself, you have been living in Canada for a year now so it's a stretch to say that you are still just visiting. If you get denied entry, you can ask them what you need to try it again and when you can.

inaina

Nov 3, 2009
Thank you, Leon, this is very helpful even though doesn't give me much hope :)
Unfortunately we're not able to prove that we've been living together as my boyfriend's landlord doesn't know about me living the same house. So I don't think that's possible.
I guess I'll just have to leave the country and hope for the best when I need to go back.
Anyways, thank you so much for your help!