+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A complicated case

user29

Dec 4, 2014
I am in a rather complicated situation and nervous about the outcomes of my PR renewal interview coming up in December.

I immigrated to Canada with my mom in 1999, I was 7 at the time. My step father, has never adopted me, but they are married. In 2005 they decided to move back to Europe because both of my parents are originally from there and were often home sick, they wanted to be closer to their families. I was 13 at the time so had no say in this decision. My dad (step) has dual citizenship, one is Canadian. My mom doesn't, she is a permanent resident like me. When my pr card was expiring we tried contacting the embassy about renewing it, but they said that it can only be done from within. At that time I wasn't 18 years old yet and one of my parents would have to go with me to Canada, for 3 months. This would be during a school year so we saw the situation as very unreasonable, since my mom was also pregnant at the time. After I finally graduated (2011) we filed for a travel document. It took awhile, but the embassy finally gave me one and I was able to travel back to Canada and re-apply for my permanent resident card. I gathered what documents I could get my hands on, but not nearly as much as they ask for since I don't have a drivers license, health card. All I have is my expired pr card with a photo of me when I was 10-11. A status verification document, my passport and my travel document stamp.

I got a letter saying that all permanent residents of Canada are subject to a residency assessment at the time of distribution of their new permanent resident card and that an immigration official will review my documents to determine my eligibility for a pr card. So I'm wondering what to expect and if the officer will even know what do with me or am I going to be frowned upon for not having enough back up documents.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You may need to speak to a lawyer.

One question is whether the CIC would deem your step-father as your parent, since days spent accompanying a Canadian citizen abroad who is your spouse, one can maintain their PR status if they are accompanied by a spouse, parent or partner who is a citizen

OPTION 1. Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada

You may count each day that you accompanied a Canadian citizen outside Canada provided that the person you accompanied is your spouse, common-law partner or parent (if you are a child under 19 years of age).
Supporting documents may include:

...child’s birth certificate, baptismal document, or adoption or guardianship document (mandatory if you are accompanying a parent)
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#appendixA

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Even if they won't count your days based on your step father you are still young and taking the first opportunity to return to Canada as soon as you were able and of legal age. They likely issued you a PRTD on this basis and will likely also renew your PR card based on this decision. They will look at the documents provided and also see the entry regarding your PRTD and issue you a new PR card. It will not alleviate you from the necessity to continue to meet your RO forthcoming, but you will have the PR card in hand.

Good luck.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
user29 said:
I got a letter saying that all permanent residents of Canada are subject to a residency assessment at the time of distribution of their new permanent resident card and that an immigration official will review my documents to determine my eligibility for a pr card. So I'm wondering what to expect and if the officer will even know what do with me or am I going to be frowned upon for not having enough back up documents.
Every PR Card renewal has a residency obligation review. Your PRTD was issued on H&C grounds which overcome any RO issues and in turn this apply to your PR Card renewal subject to this being within a reasonable time of the PRTD issuance and arrival into Canada. You can't get a pass on the RO, travel to Canada for a short duration, leave and remain outside Canada for extensive periods then expect the previous H&C pass to apply for an infinite period.