+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A British Citizen in BC who needs advice.

Guch

Feb 1, 2014
I am a British citizen who recent came to Canada to visit Family members, but was asked to stay and support the family business (like work with them) It's a Car Towing Company at first I turned them down cos I very got a masters degree in Psychological approach to health and management from a university in UK. But now I have agreed to stay but I need to apply for a temporary work permit. The questions are:

1) If they apply for an LMO for me will it be accepted being a family business?
2) How long does an LMO takes to process.?
3) Do I need a lawyer?
4) if granted a work permit will they allow my fiancée and Child move to Canada?
5) Can I apply within Canada or do I really have to go back to London?

Please I need advice because I don't wanna make any mistakes and just want to do the right thing .
Many thanks to all members in the forum!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
1) If the business can meet all of the requirements for obtaining an LMO, it shouldn't matter that you are family.
2) A few months.
3) No.
4) That depends. If you and your partner are common-law and your job is NOC A, B or 0, your partner could apply for a work permit. If not, they can only come as visitors. As the child of a work permit holder, your child would be able to attend school.
5) You must apply through a visa office outside of Canada but don't have to leave Canada, unless you are called for an interview. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=172&t=17

When applying for a work permit, they will look at how your work experience/education/skills are relevant to the position. They may have a problem reconciling "a masters degree in Psychological approach to health and management" with working at a "Car Towing Company".

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
5) You must apply through a visa office outside of Canada but don't have to leave Canada, unless you are called for an interview. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=172&t=17
You have to leave to come back to activate the visa.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
OP does not have to leave Canada to apply, which was the question.
LMO is not the same as work permit.

An approval from embassy, with an LMO as supporting document, is not the same as work permit, because the work permit is applied for and issued at POE, using the LMO and (if applied) letter from embassy.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
itstime said:
LMO is not the same as work permit.

An approval from embassy, with an LMO as supporting document, is not the same as work permit, because the work permit is applied for and issued at POE, using the LMO and (if applied) letter from embassy.
I am well aware of what an LMO is and what a work permit is.

I was talking strictly about the application process, as OP directly asked if s/he could apply while staying in Canada, which s/he can. I did not address what OP would have to do after that point; yes, after that, s/he would have to leave Canada and re-enter for activation.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
I was talking strictly about the application process, as OP directly asked if s/he could apply while staying in Canada, which s/he can. I did not address what OP would have to do after that point; yes, after that, s/he would have to leave Canada and re-enter for activation.
But you CAN'T apply for a work permit from within Canada because you apply for that at POE, using a positive LMO as a supporting document.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
itstime said:
But you CAN'T apply for a work permit from within Canada because you apply for that at POE, using a positive LMO as a supporting document.
There is a big difference between applying from "within Canada" and "applying through an office outside of Canada while in Canada". I am speaking about the latter.

A person can apply for the work permit at a visa office outside Canada and receive approval. The work permit is then printed at the Port of Entry.

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
Just to mention as an option since no one has brought this up so far. There's a temp visa for Brits under 30 called 'working holiday' which allows you to work for 12 months in Canada. So if you fulfill the criteria this might be something to consider as an option for you or your fiancee.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/experience_canada_experience/working_holiday-vacances_travail.aspx