+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A big issue Please help and give suggestions.

Amit Rastogi

Star Member
Mar 6, 2013
Hello,
I went to canada in december. I join my college in toronto for pg diploma jan 2013. But unfortunately due to some family issue I came back to India withdrawing my admission from college in february. I got my semester fee back from the college. I have my visa valid till 2014. Now my question is that is there any condition that my visa is still valid and can I return back to canada now? I am confused with this. Can some body guide me what to do now. I know its a problem now for me. But please help me honestly. What all condition are there for me now to return back to canada.

tiger007

Champion Member
Amit Rastogi said:
Hello,
I went to canada in december. I join my college in toronto for pg diploma jan 2013. But unfortunately due to some family issue I came back to India withdrawing my admission from college in february. I got my semester fee back from the college. I have my visa valid till 2014. Now my question is that is there any condition that my visa is still valid and can I return back to canada now? I am confused with this. Can some body guide me what to do now. I know its a problem now for me. But please help me honestly. What all condition are there for me now to return back to canada.

Hi,

According to official CIC rules:
As a post-secondary student
You may change your school, program and/or field of study without applying for a new study permit. You do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either. You may continue to use your study permit as long as it is valid.
If you are changing your level of study (e.g., bachelor's to master's), you do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=487&t=15

Usually, you need to 1st take admission to the new course you are changing to, show the offer letter of new course to your present college/university, and officially withdraw from your present course. Later if the old/current study permit is about to expire before the completion of the new course, then just 3 months before the expiry of the current study permit... you should apply for extension of study permit This happens.. when student is inside Canada.

Since, you have already withdrawn from your present course, and you have a valid study permit and out of Canada... although legally you can re-enter Canada right now... by taking an admission in a new course..ANY course...(since you won't be applying for new study permit to CHC) for this May 2013 intake.. OR you may even take no admission and re-enter Canada... and go there..and take admsiion... but the main tricky part is... since you are already out of Canada... the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) may ask a few questions more, get suspicious (and it's entierly at their descretion to allow you to enter Canada or not). So.. better to be on the safer side... get an admission for MAY 2013 intake... and if asked about your status as a student... you should honestly explain the situation to CBSA officers (better if you can show some valid tangible proof about your emergency which caused you to leave Canada..like say photocopies of medical bills etc.) .. and re-enter Canada.

Best of Luck.

**All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too

Amit Rastogi

Star Member
Mar 6, 2013
Thank you so much...

Will apply for a college and get admission soon. But Is that an issue if the college from which I got ma visa will not give me the admission again. Can I go with another college...