+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

8+ Years IT | Canada Vs Australia PR

Feb 3, 2015
Dear Friends,
I am looking for PR for Australia or Canada, but unable to decide which one suit better for my profile.
Majorly I am concern about the Job aspects for an IT person. Currently I am working in TCS India. Now a days IT is not ramain promising sector, decided to move on. So that is for sure I am going for PR but Australia or Canada ?
I have talked to lot of people for the same but couldn't get any convinsing reply.
I would request to please sahre your thoughts for the same.

Thanks
Vishal

economicalindian

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Waiting period for Australia is less as compared to Canada..also...unless you do not have a job offer from Canadian employer i do not see any point in applying for Canada ....as most of people working in india will have point in range 350-400 and current people being picked up for Canada are those having more than 800 points

Feb 3, 2015
Thanks for your response.
I can even wait, I am not concerned about time.

My basic reason of worry is JOB aspects for IT EXP person in Canada or Australia.
I would move on the bases of opportunities only.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Canada must be better since it is closer to USA. But without job offer it is very difficult to get canada pr now due to new express entry system. Always USA has good market for IT people.

n4mo

Feb 2, 2015
vishalmnit2006 said:
Dear Friends,
I am looking for PR for Australia or Canada, but unable to decide which one suit better for my profile.
Majorly I am concern about the Job aspects for an IT person. Currently I am working in TCS India. Now a days IT is not ramain promising sector, decided to move on. So that is for sure I am going for PR but Australia or Canada ?
I have talked to lot of people for the same but couldn't get any convinsing reply.

Thanks
Vishal
Don't know about Australia's IT job market (better if you research your specific position here < joboutlook.gov.au >), but I did live there for almost a year and I certainly enjoyed my stay (I'll quote something from a previous post of mine regarding the same topic):

I would say if you come from a country which was a former British colony, Australia (or NZ) would be an easier transition because of:
- right-hand drive vehicles
- terminologies (ex: you call it lift, we call it elevator, torch = flashlight, etc) & spelling of english words (ex: aluminium instead of aluminum)
- sports (cricket & rugby is big in AUS & NZ, but almost non-existent here in North America).
Furthermore, you're from India so it'd be a shorter trip (from Australia) if you want to visit your native country. Good luck whatever you decide..

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
apply for both and keep the one you need....if Canada does not work out atleast you would have Aus...

koushikjis

Jun 4, 2015
Hyderabad
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Vishal,

Since Feb, do you have any update to share with us please?
I am in similar situation with 9+ years in IT in Web & ECM domain. Presently working with TechM.

Confused on the very topic.

--
Regards,
Koushik.

manjula87

May 10, 2016
Hi,

My name is manjula, seen ur post on applying australia/Canada PR visa, I am in the same confusion, can you shed some lights?

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manjula87 said:
Hi,

My name is manjula, seen ur post on applying australia/Canada PR visa, I am in the same confusion, can you shed some lights?
If you are eligible then apply for both. In that way you will have something as a backup.

ldrbjp

Oct 11, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
which can we choose, if we got PR in both?

I know its a long shot but my intention is to understand which one is better between Canada and Australia for IT professionals, in a long run

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
ttrajan said:
Canada must be better since it is closer to USA. But without job offer it is very difficult to get canada pr now due to new express entry system. Always USA has good market for IT people.

dsr

Jul 9, 2016
London, UK
Category........
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-11-2016
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-09-2017
Dear Friends,

Thanks
Vishal
Last year i received my Canada PR and in Jan 2018, i went to Canada for soft landing (1 week) to apply PR card, SIN etc. Getting Canadian PR is relatively easier right now as compared to Australia. Below is my analysis:

1. Australia - If you have B.E. computer science/IT degree then Aus is possible option for you. Even with these degree ACS is gonna deduct 2 years of work experience. To claim minimum 5 points, you need 3 years of work ex. So in reality you will need 3+2 = 5 years of outside Aus experience to claim these 5 points. If you are targeting max work ex points, you need minimum 7 years work ex.

if you are non IT engineering guy (e.g. EC, Mechanical, Electrical etc.) then ACS will deduct 4 years of work experience. In that case, it will be difficult to claim experience points. Other issues is that for core branches such as electircal, mechanical etc. they will ask to submit some case studies etc. to show your relevant IT experience which is a cumbersome long process.

Age is another factor. If you are 32+ you will get 5 lesser points.

So ideally someone younger than 32 and with 7-8 years of experience and did engineering in IT is most suitable person to apply for Aus PR.
Pro- Aus salaries are higher as compared to Canada. But living in Sydney can be expensive as well. While working in Australia, chances are you will be working with Australia based companies only. Weather is nice so that's a big advantage.

2. Canada - Canada does not deduct any experience for your degree major. you can easily claim all the points. The tricky part is to score good in English exam e.g. IELTS. It is very imp to score high in listening section (8.5+). Also, very important to either claim spouse point and/or age points.
Ideal profile is someone who is 27-30 years of age with 5+ experience and IELTS score around 8.

Pro- PR process is very transparent and fast. I got PR within 3 months of receiving ITA. Overall very friendly country for immigrants. GTA area has many IT job opportunities. Just did a comparison on Indeed website for Australia and Canada. Searched for common IT technologies such as Hadoop, Python, Informatica etc. and found that Canada in general has more jobs listed on Indeed.

one point to be noted is that getting a job in Canada even after receiving PR is not easy. Especially if you are not in Canada yet. It is a tough decision to quit current job in parent country (e.g. India) and to travel to Canada and do job search. But it is doable. If you have decent communication and technical skills, you should be able to get a job in a month and then work there get some exp and later apply for higher paying jobs.

One example of one of my friend's cousin. He has both Aus and Canada PR. he went Aus first and stayed there for 2 months and did not find job. Later he travelled to Canada and got job in second week. We cannot generalize it but it is based upon my experience.

Hope this helps.

dsr

Jul 9, 2016
London, UK
Category........
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-11-2016
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-09-2017
which can we choose, if we got PR in both?

I know its a long shot but my intention is to understand which one is better between Canada and Australia for IT professionals, in a long run
Hi, have you moved to Canada? We have the PR since 2017 and planning to make a move. Your insights would be much appreciated. cheers!