+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

8 Months left on PGWP - Considering AINP - Your suggestions please

dubaitotoronto

Star Member
Oct 28, 2011
Hello Friends,

I have 8 months left on my Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) currently working as retail sales associate (NOC category C) in Calgary for the past 3 months, (I finished my studies from Toronto and then moved to Calgary)

1. I read that minimum processing time for AINP is 25 months after September 20014, so I am confused since I have 8 months. Should I apply under AINP?

2. If I move to other provinces like BC, since I have 8 months left on work permit, will employers hire me?

3. Do you know any option to get an LMIA here in Calgary?

4. Any options for me in your mind?.

Look forward to hearing from you friends

dell2

Feb 3, 2011
Calgary, Alberta.
processing times in BC has also increased recently but they're supportive than AINP suckers. you can move there (expensive) and even get a job but processing time is - 10-13 months but you only have 8 months left on permit. you can apply for extension then buy 90 days more on implied status. this only works if you get job within a month. meanwhile keep looking for LMIA. i know it sucks after spending so much money in tuition u r stuck here with no clarity. most of ppl here are in same boat. Good luck
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate/About-the-BC-PNP/About-the-BC-PNP/Processing-Times.aspx

Estimated Processing Times by Date of Application
Date Submitted Estimated Processing Time

Mar-May 2014
6-8 months

June-Aug 2014
8-10 months

Sep-Nov 2014
10-13 months

mirko.alilovic

Star Member
Dec 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2015
AOR Received.
28-07-2015
Med's Request
23-12-2015
Med's Done....
08-01-2016
dell2 said:
processing times in BC has also increased recently but they're supportive than AINP suckers. you can move there (expensive) and even get a job but processing time is - 10-13 months but you only have 8 months left on permit. you can apply for extension then buy 90 days more on implied status. this only works if you get job within a month. meanwhile keep looking for LMIA. i know it sucks after spending so much money in tuition u r stuck here with no clarity. most of ppl here are in same boat. Good luck
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Estimated Processing Times by Date of Application
Date Submitted Estimated Processing Time

Mar-May 2014
6-8 months

June-Aug 2014
8-10 months

Sep-Nov 2014
10-13 months
No, he cannot, PGWPs are not extendable. If he did that he would be working illegally. He has the option to change his status to visitor to remain in Canada or to leave the country after his PGWP expires.

hope for the best

Star Member
May 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
unknown
NOC Code......
6XXX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dubaitotoronto said:
Hello Friends,

I have 8 months left on my Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) currently working as retail sales associate (NOC category C) in Calgary for the past 3 months, (I finished my studies from Toronto and then moved to Calgary)

1. I read that minimum processing time for AINP is 25 months after September 20014, so I am confused since I have 8 months. Should I apply under AINP?

2. If I move to other provinces like BC, since I have 8 months left on work permit, will employers hire me?

3. Do you know any option to get an LMIA here in Calgary?

4. Any options for me in your mind?.

Look forward to hearing from you friends
No ... go to other provinces if you can ... AINP is hopeless and won't go anywhere cos they have already too many files stock up

mirko.alilovic

Star Member
Dec 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2015
AOR Received.
28-07-2015
Med's Request
23-12-2015
Med's Done....
08-01-2016
dell2 said:
if he apply work extension before his WP expires. he'll be on implied status till the decision is made.
whatever, mate

liisa227

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2014
Nomination.....
04-02-2014
AOR Received.
27-08-2014
IELTS Request
not required
Med's Request
27-08-2014
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
dell2 said:
if he apply work extension before his WP expires. he'll be on implied status till the decision is made.
If the OP has a work permit that can be extended, then what you're saying is true.

But if PGWP's are not extendable (which they're not) then the OP doesn't have a basis for implied status.

One can only be on legal implied status and keep working, if a new work permit application or extension has been submitted.

In this case, the OP won't qualify for a new work permit unless
1) he has his PNP certificate
2) he has a positive LMIA
3) he has AOR from his PR application, or
4) he qualifies for immigration through some other program, like Family Class, Live-in Caregiver Program etc.

Of course, to win some time, he can submit a work permit application (in which case he can legally work until the processing goes through, which is around 40 days for online applications and 70ish days for paper applications) but unless one of the above conditions are fulfilled, then the application will be rejected and he will have to leave Canada (but not earlier than what the PGWP expiry date is). If he overstays his PGWP without being on a legal implied status, then he's obviously doing it illegally and can/will face trouble the next time he tries to enter Canada, gets pulled over by cops, is questioned by the transit police, and so on and so on. Also whatever work experience he would gather wouldn't be admissible for any future immigration processes (since the PNP/CIC will know that the work was done under illegal status). Short things short--don't rely on being on implied status unless you're 150% convinced that you're allowed to do so!

AOR/file number from PNP alone is not acceptable basis for a work permit. AOR from PR application is, but getting one is currently taking at least 2-3 months from submission (and obviously one needs to qualify for PR first).

It's super tricky right now with the long PNP processing times. It's getting to be virtually impossible to maintain working status while waiting for the certificate to come through.

In my opinion the best option would be to either
1) see if the OP qualifies for any of the categories in Express Entry (mainly CEC I think),
2) do whatever's necessary to get a positive LMIA (which obviously means finding an employer willing to file one for him, which in turn might mean moving to an area that has a shortage on workers in whatever field he's willing to work in), or
3) see if he qualifies for PNP in a province where the processing time is currently shorter (BC PNP and AINP are definitely out of the question). I'm not sure about the other ones but I think they all have websites with current processing information.

Good luck buddy!

dubaitotoronto

Star Member
Oct 28, 2011
Thank you very much dell2, mirko.alilovic, and liisa227 for your replies! The attitude of people like you to help strangers like me are awesome.

I am thinking to do the following things in my case

1. Go with AINP application and try to get a Managerial position in my current company. (I will have only 6 months left by the time I apply for AINP because I have applied for my new passport and i have to write IELTS)

2. Will look for LMIA options

3. Consider studying in Quebec after my work permit expires

4. Consider studying in BC after my work permit expires.

What do you think on these?.

dell2

Feb 3, 2011
Calgary, Alberta.
1. Managerial position NOC code ? if your job is in demand only then they'll process your application faster otherwise processing time is 25 months if you submit now.
2. Good luck with search.
3. I don't know any QC rules.
4. you can study to stay in the country but you only get PGWP ONCE