+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

730 days obligation

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If they happen to ask you what was the purpose of your trip and the purpose of your trip was to get married, you should definitely tell them that . You have nothing to hide. It is perfectly legal for a PR to go somewhere and get married. If they don't ask you, you don't have to tell them until you want to file for sponsorship.

gargsk

Jul 19, 2010
Hi all,

I have some clarification. My wife and son have completed 730 days obligation in canada by staying over there. However, I have so far completed only 250 days. Our PR is expiring at the same time at the end of Novemeber 2010. My Question is:
1. Should my wife and Son apply for PR card renewal without waiting for me to complete 730 days.
2. On the basis of information received with my wife and son application, will immigration authority come to know my status as well and cancell my PR status despite the fact that I entered canada before the expiry of my PR card.
3. At the entry point, if immigration ask to prove my status, will they allow me to enter on the basis of my family status staying in Canada

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1./2. I don't think that your wife and son applying without you will necessarily raise any eyebrows. It could be as simple as you being outside Canada and therefore not being allowed to apply until you get back. Still, you never know. If they do not have valid PR cards, it will not really affect their lives much except they can not travel.

3. They will allow you to enter but if they think you have failed to meet the 730 day requirement, they might want to revoke your PR status and will give you the option to appeal. If that happens, you can state your wife and son living in Canada as H&C reasons why they should let you keep your PR. If you lose the appeal, your wife can sponsor you again.