+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

???6 months in one year??

sonay577

Nov 19, 2009
Hello, to anyone that can help....

I am an American and my boyfriend is Canadian, I was just visiting him canada from Jun 5th to Nov 12th, I didnt have any trouble at the border about how long I was going to be there for, niether gave me any grief when I left.
Ive heard theres the "6th month consecutivly" sp? allowed in canada rule, but then heard that its just a front?

Basically what im asking is earlier this year I visited him for about a week in january and about 3 weeks in April, I added the days up to the exact and I am right on the dot for the "183 days in 12 month period"...Just wondering if ill be able to go back before the end of the year somehow? or when i can?? dont have anything at home now, becoming depressed, all friends all moved away, dont have job so weve been talking and decided to get married next time I come up there to avoid all this stress. weve been together almost three years and have plenty of pictures etc. to prove our relationship and we were planning on getting married in the future just wanted to do it for the right reason and were just wishing we could get me up there any other way first, but now this is too hard on us...Buut i heard its better not to tell the officials if your intentions are to stay there and get married so not planning on it but......really want to spend the holidays with him and his family and my friends up there so if I just make up an innocent lie and just say hes sick in the hospital or just visiting for a while if i have a chance to get through??? I know it depends on the border guard also....but I do have proof that I have a court date on Dec. 16th up there for a very expensive speeding ticket(otherwise would of just paid it) if that would that help also? ...thanks:)

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
no one can say for sure. you can be lucky an get admitted for 6 more months. as far as I know they usually let Americans go without much checking on land port of entries, but I cannot say for sure about the air way.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
There is a 6-month (183-day) rule that says if you stay longer in Canada, you are taxable on income earned. Tax payable would be reduced by any tax paid in the USA, since the two countries have a tax treaty.

I've never heard of a rule that you cannot stay longer than 6 months in any one year -- provided you get the appropriate visas.

But since that tax doesn't seem to be your problem, I'll hazard a guess that you don't have a problem, but defer to others more experienced.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Usually the default period of stay is 6 months (immigration officers can give you more or less). You can either apply for an extension or leave and attempt to re-enter if you wish to stay longer.

ImmEnforce

Star Member
Oct 15, 2009
The 6 months is consecutive not cumlative. 6 months is the time an officer grants you temporary resident status for by default. (Meaning they don't have a reason to change it)

By the sounds of it, each and every entry you were granted a period of 6 months to stay. You left before the 6 months, therefore you are in compliance.

There appears to be 2 bigger issues....

1. You are thinking of lieing
2. You may no longer be a visitor

So....

1. Don't lie at the border. Tell them the truth. You are in a relationship with a Canadian (nothing new here). You have visited Canada in the Past and are in full compliance. Why would you give them a reason to refuse your entry? You explain to the officer that you are well aware that if you want to stay in Canada you must apply for PR status. If you wanted to truely circumvent the Canada's Immigration laws I don't think you would be asking questions on this forum.

2. Each time you enter the officer makes a determination if you are a visitor. If they believe that you are then they will allow you entry. You must maintain your ties to the USA. If you don't officers can make a determination that you are not a visitor and refuse you entry or take enforcement action.