+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

3-month waiting period for OHIP and pregnancy

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear @canuck78 thanks very much again! Your kind help has made me more knowledgeable. If I have anymore questions, I will disturb you again. Apologies in advance and God bless you million times for your help!
No problem. Would encourage you to at least read the OHIP website there are also residency obligations just for OHIP which people are usually unaware of. Even if you have a valid card you need to follow the residency obligations or you can be asked to pay back the cost of services. People just assume they have coverage because they have a valid card.

Reactions: eninevo

eninevo

Star Member
Apr 4, 2018
No problem. Would encourage you to at least read the OHIP website there are also residency obligations just for OHIP which people are usually unaware of. Even if you have a valid card you need to follow the residency obligations or you can be asked to pay back the cost of services. People just assume they have coverage because they have a valid card.
Dear @canuck78 yes i read the residency obligation, which is basically to stay 5 months after getting OHIP out of 6 months and thereafter, 5 months minimum stay in Ontario for any 12months.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Dear @canuck78 thanks very much for your prompt reply and kind guidance. Mean a lot to me! Even with OHIP i have to pay for medication, wow! thats gonna be a bill!

Guys, would anyone of you who have used the pregnancy medical insurance, please share the name of the company so that I can have some piece of mind of paying for it?
Given that she is already pregnant, you probably aren't going to find any company that will cover pregnancy-related emergencies.

eninevo

Star Member
Apr 4, 2018
Given that she is already pregnant, you probably aren't going to find any company that will cover pregnancy-related emergencies.
Dear @canuck_in_uk have one more query

1- I used address in Malaysia for my EE profile. I will be leaving for my country soon. It was mentioned by IRCC in the PPR letter and COPR that "any changes in address, cell contact should be informed". How should i inform IRCC, is it via web forum CSE or i should send email to my Singapore IRCC office?
2- My wife is 1 month pregnant, do I have to inform IRCC? We will be travelling prior to expected delivery date.

Please advise? Thanks in advance

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

1- I used address in Malaysia for my EE profile. I will be leaving for my country soon. It was mentioned by IRCC in the PPR letter and COPR that "any changes in address, cell contact should be informed". How should i inform IRCC, is it via web forum CSE or i should send email to my Singapore IRCC office?
2- My wife is 1 month pregnant, do I have to inform IRCC? We will be travelling prior to expected delivery date.

1. Webform.

2. No.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Why is that? Nothing on their site suggests it - or am I missing something?

Also, would you know if the 3-month period (where it applies) is supposed to be a maximum or a minimum?
What will be your status in Canada? Visitor? or what?

Unless you are a Citizen or Permanent Resident yourself (with some exceptions for temporary residents) you will not qualify for OHIP even after the 3 months or ever. It is not like anyone entering the province qualifies.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi Alex, i came to Ontario 1 year ago, studied at a college, started working as fulltime 1st September 2018. I have just applied ohip, because my original open work permit has just arrived. Do u think i will be waiting for the health card for 3months? You said the waiting period starts from the day you moved to Ontario . if not, do u have an idea of it is really 3 months? Is there a possibility to get it earlier? I am 3 months pregnant, that's why i am asking.. hospital bill for 1 visit is 359cad.
They'll send you the card around the time when you'll meet the 3 months so you'll receive it shortly after. or even before that date. Regardless the date from which it will be valid is the 3 month anniversary from when you moved to ON.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......

1.- Depends where you applied from and where it is being procesed (webform for Canadian VO or directly the VO if it is outside of Canada).
2.- No, unless the baby is born.