+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2020 Spousal Sponsorship

tgoericke

Feb 4, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Hi guys,

My husband and I just secretly got married back in December 2019 at the City Hall as we have bought a house which closing date is the 18th of February. Our original plan was January 2021 but we kinda had to get married immediately to avoid the 15% foreign tax on our home as I'm a non-Canadian citizen and he is. We are planning on applying for my PR under Spousal Sponsorship this coming March/April. I've been living here for 3 years and just got my 3-year Open Work Permit after graduation.

1. I'm wondering we would need to be living together for a while (6 months or so) in order to be qualified to apply for my PR?

2. Since we got married in secret, we didn't tell our families and friends about that and wanted to make it a surprise at our actual ceremony next year. The only people know about our marriage are two friends of mine who were the witnesses. We are concerned if that might be a reason we would get rejected. I have already had my wedding website ready, wedding invitation card designed, bought my wedding dress (won't arrive until May though). All friends and families know about the wedding coming up in January 2021 but not the one back in December 2019. I also got my last name changed to his.

We are not sure if we should apply this March/April, or better wait until next year after the actual wedding ceremony.

If anyone has the same situation or any advice, I'd really appreciate that! Thank you very much!

DiiDii

Apr 8, 2019
Toronto Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kingston VO
App. Filed.......
01-23-2020
AOR Received.
02-06-2020
File Transfer...
23-01-2021
Med's Request
18-09-2020
Med's Done....
23-09-2020
Passport Req..
13-07-2021
You can apply in March even next week if you wanted to...

In regards to the small wedding no red flags. Just explain your situation and your plans. More along the lines that you just wanted to be husband and wife sooner without the pressure of family etc. Have lots of pictures of your relationship overall. Include the house purchase documents. Basically just read the guide you'll be fine.

Congrats on the wedding and new house.

tgoericke

Feb 4, 2020
Toronto, Canada
You can apply in March even next week if you wanted to...

In regards to the small wedding no red flags. Just explain your situation and your plans. More along the lines that you just wanted to be husband and wife sooner without the pressure of family etc. Have lots of pictures of your relationship overall. Include the house purchase documents. Basically just read the guide you'll be fine.

Congrats on the wedding and new house.
Thank you so much!! I wonder if they would actually pay a visit our house? Would they give us some notice in advance so we could make sure to stay home? We will be going to Europe for our honeymoon in summer for a month, then I need to be there for work for another 10 days around summer, plus an away bachelorette party in autumn. That's the only concern we have that if they stop by during that time, we wont be home.

Awaisali15

Dec 29, 2018
Hello members,

Need an advice from members of this group. I am about to apply my wife’s PR. She lives in Pakistan and I am living in Toronto on PR. I am planning to move to Calgary, Alberta by June or July without any job offer, however, I have a full time job here in Toronto. My concern is:

1. If I apply her visa while I am in Toronto, should I mention her province of arrival as Toronto or Alberta?

2. Once applied, if I move to Calgary in June for example, would I have to submit my proof of employment again to cic? (As mentioned I do not have any job offer there and it might take long to get job there)

3. If I cannot find job there considering current COVID-19’s effect on job market, will it have a negative impact on her application, since I will have to inform cic about my address/province change.

Please advice

Thank you in advance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys,

My husband and I just secretly got married back in December 2019 at the City Hall as we have bought a house which closing date is the 18th of February. Our original plan was January 2021 but we kinda had to get married immediately to avoid the 15% foreign tax on our home as I'm a non-Canadian citizen and he is. We are planning on applying for my PR under Spousal Sponsorship this coming March/April. I've been living here for 3 years and just got my 3-year Open Work Permit after graduation.

1. I'm wondering we would need to be living together for a while (6 months or so) in order to be qualified to apply for my PR?

2. Since we got married in secret, we didn't tell our families and friends about that and wanted to make it a surprise at our actual ceremony next year. The only people know about our marriage are two friends of mine who were the witnesses. We are concerned if that might be a reason we would get rejected. I have already had my wedding website ready, wedding invitation card designed, bought my wedding dress (won't arrive until May though). All friends and families know about the wedding coming up in January 2021 but not the one back in December 2019. I also got my last name changed to his.

We are not sure if we should apply this March/April, or better wait until next year after the actual wedding ceremony.

If anyone has the same situation or any advice, I'd really appreciate that! Thank you very much!
Will you actually be living together as man and wife until January 2021. Not sure how you are going to hide living together in a house for almost a year from al your family and most of your friends.

Reactions: tgoericke

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello members,

Need an advice from members of this group. I am about to apply my wife’s PR. She lives in Pakistan and I am living in Toronto on PR. I am planning to move to Calgary, Alberta by June or July without any job offer, however, I have a full time job here in Toronto. My concern is:

1. If I apply her visa while I am in Toronto, should I mention her province of arrival as Toronto or Alberta?

2. Once applied, if I move to Calgary in June for example, would I have to submit my proof of employment again to cic? (As mentioned I do not have any job offer there and it might take long to get job there)

3. If I cannot find job there considering current COVID-19’s effect on job market, will it have a negative impact on her application, since I will have to inform cic about my address/province change.

Please advice

Thank you in advance
Why would you move to Calgary without a job especially give the recent oil price decreases? Stay in your job and only move if you have another one lined up. We are probably entering a recession so not a great time to voluntarily leave a job with no back-up.

Awaisali15

Dec 29, 2018
Why would you move to Calgary without a job especially give the recent oil price decreases? Stay in your job and only move if you have another one lined up. We are probably entering a recession so not a great time to voluntarily leave a job with no back-up.
I agree with the recession point but I have to move because I have got admission there and the job which I have here in Toronto is also a minimum wage one which ofcourse wont be enough once my wife comes here keeping in view the expenses of Toronto (rentals and transportation). Its a risky move but I have no choice.
If I move there without a job while my wife’s application is in process, would I have to submit Proof of employment along with address change? That is what troubling me a lot

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I agree with the recession point but I have to move because I have got admission there and the job which I have here in Toronto is also a minimum wage one which ofcourse wont be enough once my wife comes here keeping in view the expenses of Toronto (rentals and transportation). Its a risky move but I have no choice.
If I move there without a job while my wife’s application is in process, would I have to submit Proof of employment along with address change? That is what troubling me a lot
Admission to a school is assume although moving in June or July is what is puzzling me. As long as you as you can prove you have savings to support you and your wife without needing government help you will be fine.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You will have to inform IRCC of the address change but will not have to submit proof of employment.

tgoericke

Feb 4, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Will you actually be living together as man and wife until January 2021. Not sure how you are going to hide living together in a house for almost a year from al your family and most of your friends.
Yeah, we've been living together but my name wasn't on the contract at his rental place. We officially live together with our names on paper since Feb (last month) when we bought the house