+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2013 Anyone looking for 1 yr pg diploma course in ontario, with a IT bkgrnd.

pd_IT

Star Member
Nov 13, 2012
Hi all,

Im brand new to this forum. I am looking forward to applying for the 2013 fall intake(september). So, i thought, it's just about time to begin my groundwrk .I have a b.tech in Information Technology,so im looking for courses related to it and my target area is ontario preferablly.

I have a lots and lots of questions with regards to the whole idea. I 'll start one by one as i start getting responses.First, pls let me know if there are anyone out here with the same intereset and same stage of preparation,so that we cud colloborate and share more ideas. By the way, im from the south, chennai ;D.

Folks please join me atleast simply for a start, and we shal take it frm there and know a great deal..hope the seniors will extend their valuable support to me and other students like me..Thank You !..

Thi91

Nov 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pd_IT said:
Hi all,

Im brand new to this forum. I am looking forward to applying for the 2013 fall intake(september). So, i thought, it's just about time to begin my groundwrk .I have a b.tech in Information Technology,so im looking for courses related to it and my target area is ontario preferablly.

I have a lots and lots of questions with regards to the whole idea. I 'll start one by one as i start getting responses.First, pls let me know if there are anyone out here with the same intereset and same stage of preparation,so that we cud colloborate and share more ideas. By the way, im from the south, chennai ;D.

Folks please join me atleast simply for a start, and we shal take it frm there and know a great deal..hope the seniors will extend their valuable support to me and other students like me..Thank You !..

I am trying for masters in CS for fall'13..!

jaimit0707

Dec 2, 2012
pd_it
Hi u can go for project management at humber. I am MCA and applied for that. just got college approval yesterday

rohit53

Nov 15, 2012
Hyderabad
Visa Office......
University
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
06-12-2012
LANDED..........
31-12-2012
Since pd_it's background is IT, i suggest him strongly not to take project management. Stick to your field and you will have better chances of getting a visa. Also if you are looking for a PR, then opt for a 2 year course!

pd_IT

Star Member
Nov 13, 2012
jaimit0707 said:
pd_it
Hi u can go for project management at humber. I am MCA and applied for that. just got college approval yesterday
Hi jaimit, Thanks for ur suggestion on project mgmt @humber..but im doubtful abt the courses' prospects to me after its completion.. as i believe, project management course would be greatly helpful only to those who have already had experience working in some or many projects previously.Ony then employees would prefer to hire for roles such as a project manager..that too after a project management certification..tis is my understanding...pls correct me if im wrong on tis..also what i heard is that humber doesnot provide co-op placements to any of the 1 yr programs.so, this is anothr factor keeping me from considering the project management course.

In your opinion, is it practically possile to find a job relevant to our studies after doing a 1 yr course..im not aware of the job market in ontario or anything..pls comment,also share ur profile..

pd_IT

Star Member
Nov 13, 2012
rohit53 said:
Since pd_it's background is IT, i suggest him strongly not to take project management. Stick to your field and you will have better chances of getting a visa. Also if you are looking for a PR, then opt for a 2 year course!
Hi rohit, thanks for ur advice..hav u applied for any colleges? also if possibl, pls share me ur profile.. :)

jaimit0707

Dec 2, 2012
Hi pd_it

10th 42%
12th 51%
BCA 70%
MCA 63%
Work Exp 2.5 Years
But I strongly believe project management is the course meant for IT people or who have previous exp in IT industry. Now a days, almost all companies specially IT are working for projects. We may will not get job as project manager at scratch but may become part of the project management team. I have experienced during my job that if some one has exp and he gets promoted then he will become part of the management team. It means more responsibility. I observed it.
Share your views. :) :) :)

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Project Mgmt is a tricky field.. to be hired directly as a project manager, you need the certification for which you probably have to write an exam. Doing the 1 year program may help you prepare for the exam/ certification. even then, to be hired as a project manager, you need experience in the role.

Usually you start at a smaller role and work your way up to the project manager role after acting as a senior/ team lead even then employers may want someone with a strong grasp on management (not necessarily an IT background) since the entire project depends on this one person.

so not an easy nut to crack.... but nobody can blame you for trying

good Luck

pd_IT

Star Member
Nov 13, 2012
jaimit0707 said:
Hi pd_it

10th 42%
12th 51%
BCA 70%
MCA 63%
Work Exp 2.5 Years
But I strongly believe project management is the course meant for IT people or who have previous exp in IT industry. Now a days, almost all companies specially IT are working for projects. We may will not get job as project manager at scratch but may become part of the project management team. I have experienced during my job that if some one has exp and he gets promoted then he will become part of the management team. It means more responsibility. I observed it.
Share your views. :) :) :)
yes, with that experience ur good to tak that course.
but reminding u, in the words of different student counsellors, "choosing a course with a co-op program always facilitates for a smoother transition from college to work and opens a lot of doors for u which u might not get wile u r searching for jobs on your own".
but even otherwise u can get jobs if u hav the right attitude and spirit..so in my opinion, idont think it wil b a pblm for anyone with the right attitude and belief to get hired..so u cn always go ahead and prosper :D :D

All the Best.. Pls continue ur posts and stay in touch. ;)

New_Aspirant

Star Member
Jan 5, 2013
pd_IT said:
Hi all,

Hi,

Even i'm from chennai, India with similar ideas. Can you please share your complete profile?

Are you a working professional or trying to move to canada right after your B.tech?

Have a great day..!!

chaitnay7777

Star Member
Nov 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hii..i will also be applying in sep 13 batch..i am also doin btech in E.C.E.....i might be applying in conestoga college in mobile solution progrm..for u with IT background there are many course almost in every clg in ontario..so do search clg websites....anyways...george brown,conestoga,cenntinal,mohwak,fanshaw..are sme of d good clgs...

pd_IT

Star Member
Nov 13, 2012
Hi chaitanay,

Thanks for ur suggestions..is it one yr program ur considering to apply or 2 year pg diplomas?

BTW, whr r u from?

Regards.

chaitnay7777

Star Member
Nov 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pd_IT said:
Hi chaitanay,

Thanks for ur suggestions..is it one yr program ur considering to apply or 2 year pg diplomas?

BTW, whr r u from?

Regards.
i am looking for 2 yr program...it will be helpfull later on as we will get 3 years permit after 2 yr course.....i am from punjab

New_Aspirant

Star Member
Jan 5, 2013
chaitnay7777 said:
i am looking for 2 yr program...it will be helpfull later on as we will get 3 years permit after 2 yr course.....i am from punjab
You can even go for two 1-year programs which may also yield the same result in terms of PGWP.

selvakumarmvs

Dec 9, 2012
New_Aspirant said:
You can even go for two 1-year programs which may also yield the same result in terms of PGWP.
getting visa for second pg diploma is tough rt...because they will ask like already completed one pg diploma so why u want to do again..