+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2012 Quebec Inland Applicants

wortip

Mar 12, 2013
Hi kanadskazena. Thanks for the welcome! Your reply is very helpful. I thought I read somewhere it could take sixteen weeks. Perhaps I misread. A six week wait is not so horrible. What a relief!

kanadskazena said:
Hi wortip,

Welcome to this forum!

My husband lived in the US for almost five years and so had to request a certificate from the FBI. It took slightly less than six weeks to get.

On Sept. 23, 2012, I called the FBI because we had had trouble with a credit card. They told me that it took four weeks to start processing and six weeks to finish processing, on average.

Hope that this helps--good luck with your application!

kanadskazena

jg84

Jan 29, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta [IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/vo0di9.png[/IMG]
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wortip said:
Hi kanadskazena. Thanks for the welcome! Your reply is very helpful. I thought I read somewhere it could take sixteen weeks. Perhaps I misread. A six week wait is not so horrible. What a relief!
On the page written by the CIC, it does say 16 weeks for the FBI Background Check.

If other peoples were much shorter, that is good news.

I think the 16 weeks is for people with a complicated background / have a criminal record.

jg84

Jan 29, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta [IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/vo0di9.png[/IMG]
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wortip said:
My husband decided we'd wait until Tuesday morning to have the finger prints done.

Jg84, thank you very much for the fax number and all your answers to my inquiries thus far.
Ok that makes sense as they are probably closed for the holidays.

Unlike some people I did my medical and police certificate at the start but then I had 2 things which I didn't do so well.

The 12 months worth of bank statements and the 10 year back ground history. The bank statements delayed my AIP about 3 days. The back ground history is now delaying things but I have sent it and there should be no more holdups once they process it. My background checks have not been completed because they need this info.

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
wortip said:
Hi QuebecOkie. I am also trying to adjust to the lack of English here in Montreal. It is nothing like California. My neighbors speak very little to no English. However, some do make an effort to try to communicate with me because they absolutely adore our fur-child.

My husband and I worked on the application together but honestly, he wasn't too much help. He is quite an impatient guy and hates dealing with paperwork. Would you mind if I ask how long ago you sent off your FBI documents? The website states the processing time is awfully long. I'm so glad I only need to request police clearance from one country! I can't imagine all the extra work involved if I was a globe trotter in the past.
We go down to Montreal every now and then. Certainly it's a big change from the States, but you can easily get by in english there. I'm about 5-6 hours northeast of Montreal, and you really can't get by in english at all here. I've learned some very basic french, but the people here have trouble understanding my french, and frankly, I often can't even tell they're speaking french when they speak (I might recognize one word in 30, even if they are saying words I know). I have a terrible ear for it, and they have a very strong accent here in Saguenay. Once I get AIP, though, I think I can get into a full-time french class here (I'm just taking the 5 hrs a week classes the base offers for spouses - husband is mlitary), which should hopefully help a lot.

I mailed off the fingerprints on Feb 27. Received by FBI on March 4. They charged my card yesterday, March 29. From what I've read here on the forum, the 16 weeks thing isn't the normal timeline (despite what it says on...I think it was the CIC website where I read that). Most FBI requests (no clue on other nations' police certificates) seem to take around 6-8 weeks.

My husband is "administratively retarded," as we like to say. He's lucky he's cute! ;D He wasn't much help at all with this process, except for whipping out the credit card...and you know, supporting me completely, since I can't work...and dealing with me when I'm crazy and crying and freaking out, haha!

kanadskazena

Star Member
Aug 27, 2012
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2012
AOR Received.
16-01-2013
Med's Request
Sent with application
Med's Done....
05-11-2012
Interview........
None requested
Passport Req..
AIP 16-10-13
VISA ISSUED...
DM 21-10-2013
LANDED..........
09-01-2014
Hi again,

At http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks/submitting-an-identification-record-request-to-the-fbi, it states at the bottom that " processing times may take approximately five to six weeks depending on the volume of requests received."

Still, it was slower than the UK (a few weeks) or Croatia (just a couple weeks, despite having to go through the embassy in Ottawa)!

kanadskazena

Chickadee

Jul 8, 2012
South Carolina, United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-16-2012
AOR Received.
09-18-2012
Med's Request
Sent with Application
Med's Done....
05-15-2012
Interview........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
VISA ISSUED...
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
LANDED..........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
Hi Guys!

Just wanted to stop by and wish you all good luck with the immigration process and your life in Québec. :)

My husband and I withdrew our application on February 27, and will be moving back to South Carolina in 2 weeks and 5 days.

I must admit that we did not do our homework enough before we started all this, otherwise we would have known that starting this long process meant that my husband would not be allowed to visit his family and would feel like a prisoner for more than a year :'(

Towards the end, we were both sad and homesick, and one morning, we woke up knowing that it was time to throw the towel and go back home.

Anyway, after this is all done, we are just happy to go back to South Carolina, and we have no regrets: doing this gave us a chance to spend a year in Montréal, which we both loved. But now, we are more than ready to go back to the beach. Yeah!

As they say in the South: Good luck y'all! 8)

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
Awww, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you and the hubby up here, Chickadee. But glad you both seem comfortable with an alternate decision, and that you have another home to go to. I *totally* understand him feeling like a prisoner. Not being able to visit my family and friends in OK and NY is probably the single most difficult thing about all of this. Best wishes with the move and everything that follows!

Chickadee

Jul 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-16-2012
AOR Received.
09-18-2012
Med's Request
Sent with Application
Med's Done....
05-15-2012
Interview........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
VISA ISSUED...
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
LANDED..........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
QuebecOkie said:
Awww, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you and the hubby up here, Chickadee. But glad you both seem comfortable with an alternate decision, and that you have another home to go to. I *totally* understand him feeling like a prisoner. Not being able to visit my family and friends in OK and NY is probably the single most difficult thing about all of this. Best wishes with the move and everything that follows!
Thank you very much QuebecOkie! I suspected that you, of all people, woud understand. With your husband being away a lot, I hope you find comfort with friends and your new family.

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
Yeah, he'll be gone for a month again starting in late May. *sigh* He'll miss "our" (my, but we joke that we have two birthdays a year, we share them) birthday in June, but we'll celebrate after he gets home. My sis (who has only traveled by air *maybe* three times in her life) has finally applied for her first ever passport, so I'm hoping she can come up for a week or two while the hubby is in Alberta.

What's going to be a bit hard to come to grips with is that I can never go "home" again. Once I can finally visit again, it'll be nice, but a lot of my friends are military. One has been posted to Germany, never to return to OK most likely (not from there originally or anything). Another just deployed for six months (well, ostensibly, deployments are routinely extended now) and will be posted out after she returns. I left a life I loved to follow my best friend and husband into a mystery, and that life is gone now. Weird stuff.

But I ramble. Best wishes again! I can't help but giggle about you two moving back to the US AFTER getting through a Canadian winter, haha! I think you're supposed to summer up here and winter down there, silly!

Chickadee

Jul 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-16-2012
AOR Received.
09-18-2012
Med's Request
Sent with Application
Med's Done....
05-15-2012
Interview........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
VISA ISSUED...
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
LANDED..........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
QuebecOkie said:
I think you're supposed to summer up here and winter down there, silly!
That was the original plan, but somewhere along the line, a wheel fell off :p

Loops

Star Member
Oct 12, 2012
OMG!!!!

Im jumping of happiness guys!!!!

I got an email from CIC saying that my Permanent Residence has been completed!!! And they will contact me soon to schedule an interview!!!

I only have one question though! ... They are asking me to pay the Rights of Permanent Residence fees $490 buuuut ... When we sent our application I did a payment of $475 that I thought it was that!! Now Im confused! What was that 1st payment for then??

Im gonna give CIC a call tomorrow to make sure, but do you guys have any info on that 1st payement that I think we all did?

Chickadee

Jul 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-16-2012
AOR Received.
09-18-2012
Med's Request
Sent with Application
Med's Done....
05-15-2012
Interview........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
VISA ISSUED...
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
LANDED..........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
Loops said:
OMG!!!!

Im jumping of happiness guys!!!!

I got an email from CIC saying that my Permanent Residence has been completed!!! And they will contact me soon to schedule an interview!!!

I only have one question though! ... They are asking me to pay the Rights of Permanent Residence fees $490 buuuut ... When we sent our application I did a payment of $475 that I thought it was that!! Now Im confused! What was that 1st payment for then??

Im gonna give CIC a call tomorrow to make sure, but do you guys have any info on that 1st payement that I think we all did?
The $475 is the application fee for the principal applicant.

Look under: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/fees.asp

Loops

Star Member
Oct 12, 2012
Chickadee said:
The $475 is the application fee for the principal applicant.

Thanks Chickadee!! So I still have to pay the 490$ now ... I was not expecting at all to spend that money :(

So you are now moving to the USA? :(

Chickadee

Jul 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-16-2012
AOR Received.
09-18-2012
Med's Request
Sent with Application
Med's Done....
05-15-2012
Interview........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
VISA ISSUED...
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
LANDED..........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
Loops said:
Thanks Chickadee!! So I still have to pay the 490$ now ... I was not expecting at all to spend that money :(

So you are now moving to the USA? :(
Yes, and yes :D

Actually, I am quite happy to go back. Sometimes, one has to be away from home in order to realize what Home Sweet Home means ;)

I forgot to say: I am really for you, as well!

Chickadee

Jul 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-16-2012
AOR Received.
09-18-2012
Med's Request
Sent with Application
Med's Done....
05-15-2012
Interview........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
VISA ISSUED...
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
LANDED..........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
For you, Loops:

4. Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF)
▼ Acquisition of permanent resident status - Fees For the acquisition of permanent resident status $490
This fee is payable by principal applicants (with some exceptions) and accompanying spouses and common-law partners. It must be paid before the immigrant visa is issued overseas or before the applicant becomes a permanent resident in Canada.