+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2 yr reqt - disclosing ahead of time?

analyze_that

Nov 15, 2009
I am a student - with plans gone really bad for graduation.
I was told that I have to take permission from somebody (immigration officers - asking them to add a note of reasons that I was open with them about the late arrival in Canada) might help me get 1.5 years in stead of 2 year requirement. Is it possible? Anybody knows about it? Who should I talk to? Immigration Officers? Please let me know if you think of any tips on that...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agreed, 2 years. If you lose your PR, you can appeal on H&C grounds but unless you have a spouse and children in Canada or you had real H&C reasons for being away such as a dying parent perhaps, you will probably lose it.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why dont you just come back before your card expires even if you won't have 2 years at expiration? Then you can stay until you have 2 years and then renew it.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is possible but not guaranteed to work. If the OP is unlucky and gets questioned at the border about how long they've been staying in Canada and not believed, they could still lose their PR.

analyze_that

Nov 15, 2009
Can you please expand OP and H&C?
Do I lose the PR at the end of 5 years? or in the middle at 3.5 years? Please let me know.

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OP = Original Poster, that's you
H&C = Humane and Compassionate

You lose the PR once you can no longer meet the 730 days in Canada residency requirements in your first 5 years which is after you have spent more than 1095 days outside Canada. However, Canada immigration doesn't have a GPS on your person and they are not watching everybodys every move all the time so if you do lose your PR after 1095 days outside Canada, immigration might not know that. If you enter Canada after knowing you have lost your PR in this way, they might catch you at the border and ask you to prove your residency or otherwise lose your PR but it's possible that you can get in without a problem

If you did get in, your PR would be safe as long as you stay in Canada and don't apply to renew your PR card until you meet the residency requirements again.