+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2 nd time application of PR Left Canada 3 years ago

Sankaran28

Dec 28, 2009
I am wondering is any one here has experience of applying for PR for the 2nd time. I was in Canada from 2002 until 2006. I have been away from Canada for 3 years and do not intend to go back for another 2 years. I was wondering if its best to start to apply now to be there in 2 years?

Any word of advice would be nice.

- Tx

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You may have to officially give up your PR before you apply again. Otherwise, applying again shouldn't be that much different than applying for the first time except the immigration programs have changed somewhat so you'd have to read through all the instructions again to figure all that out.

Sankaran28

Dec 28, 2009
Thanks for your feedback. I thought that if you stayed out of canada for a period of time the PR automatically got revoked? is that not true?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, unless you tell Canada immigration that you have been gone, they might not even know. Usually they find out when you try to apply for a new PR card or if you are outside Canada, try to apply for a PR travel document to get back. At that point, you are supposed to write down all your abscenses from Canada in the previous 5 years and they will go over it and might double check your dates with the information available to them or for people who don't realize there is a residency requirement, they might actually write the truth and give themselves away.

Pk09

Jul 26, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dear Sankaran28
but why did'nt u applied for citizenship since u lived there fro almost four years 2002-2006. i guess one is eligible for citizenship after three years correct me if i am wrong

S

shibuya

Re: 2 nd time application

i had applied for pr in june 2000 and got rejected due to insufficient points. if i do not declare that issue now in background declaration point 9 could they find it out? Ur answers are greatly appreciated.

vmpvmp

Star Member
Nov 26, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sankaran28, Answer of Leon is right. For Travel Document (one time entry paper) you have to apply in IMM 5524. If Residency Obligation (730 days stay in past 5 years) are not met, they will refuse your case.

But simultaneously you will be given tight to appeal to IAD (Immigration Appeal Division) You or your representative has to remain present to face the hearing in Canada (the city where you stayed). It takes one year and chances are less to win.

If you don't apply for appeal within 60 days, your PR status is automatically revoked. Or within 60 days also you can fill the form to give up right to appeal.

Then you can apply as fresh.

Sankaran28

Dec 28, 2009
When I decided to leave canada for good I applied for something called "declaration of non residency" and I got a letter for Canadian revenue agency that I am an non resident. There after I have not entered canada.

Also I did not not apply for citizenship as I was under Wp first and then only the last two years on PR. During this time I had travelled out of canada for business and had not met the residency days.