+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

14 EE applicants sued IRCC because they could not pass IELTS requirements

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Apparently, a group of Express Entry applicants with low English skills had sued the IRCC because they think they were treated unfairly by the IRCC and the IELTS.

They claimed:

(b) Despite meeting all of the other requirements for permanent residence required by the FSTC, each was refused because he failed to meet the language requirement by failing the International English Language Testing System [IELTS], adopted by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration;

(c) The Plaintiffs allege that the IELTS is culturally biased towards “British English” rather than “Canadian English” and unfairly requires a high proficiency in English;

(d) The Plaintiffs further allege that the Minister administers the FSTC in a manner that favours persons from English-speaking countries and discriminates against those, like the Plaintiffs, who are from non-English speaking countries;

(e) Each Plaintiff, having failed to meet the threshold requirements under the IELTS, requested that the officer perform a substitute evaluation of his ability to become economically established in Canada

(i) The Plaintiffs suffered damages as a result of the Defendants’ wrongful conduct.

(h) The Plaintiffs allege that the conduct of the Defendants amounts to breach of statute, public misfeasance and abuse, excess of jurisdiction and authority, abuse of process, bad faith
Instead of trying to improve their English skills (only need CLB 5 in IELTS), these applicants sued the IRCC and requested them to give them an exception to become PR, and claimed that Canada, an English speaking country, discriminates against applicants from non-English speaking countries.

I don't know how these people brainstorm and function in a modern society??

Source: http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/decisions/en/item/182320/index.do

jamezmoran

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
15-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
16-11-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
The standard isn't even that high so I have no idea what they're moaning about, that it's not possible to pass the IELTS from a 4 week crash course in english?

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jamezmoran said:
The standard isn't even that high so I have no idea what they're moaning about, that it's not possible to pass the IELTS from a 4 week crash course in english?
They applied under the Federal Skilled Trade program which only requires CLB 4 in Reading and Writing (4.0 in IELTS), CLB 5 in Speaking and Listening (5.0 in IELTS).

The funny thing is that they are not even Canadian citizens but already getting entitled.