+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

10 years in Canada without valid PR card

caloca

Nov 20, 2022
Hello everyone, I have lived in Canada for 15 years and I have not had a valid PR card for 10 years. I want to travel outside of Canada but I don't know if when I request a new card they will reproach me for not renewing my card before.

I fulfill the residence obligation without problem.

Do you think you IRCC can expel me from the country for having lived here for so many years without a valid pr card?

island755

Dec 24, 2014
Toronto ON
Hello everyone, I have lived in Canada for 15 years and I have not had a valid PR card for 10 years. I want to travel outside of Canada but I don't know if when I request a new card they will reproach me for not renewing my card before.

Do you think you IRCC can expel me from the country for having lived here for so many years without a valid pr card?
Understand PR Status - Canada.ca
Losing your permanent resident status
You don’t lose your permanent resident status when your PR card expires. You can only lose your status if you go through an official process.
You can lose your permanent resident status if:
  • an adjudicator determines you are no longer a permanent resident after an inquiry or PRTD appeal;
  • you voluntarily renounce your permanent resident status;
  • a removal order is made against you and comes into force; or
  • you become a Canadian citizen.
Even if you don't meet the residency obligation, you are still a PR until an official decision is made on your status.
Learn how to avoid travel delays if you are not sure of your status.

Reactions: caloca

Eusufzai

Oct 30, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
Doc's Request.
12-12-2013
Nomination.....
24-07-2015
AOR Received.
02-12-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
13-01-2016
Med's Request
13-01-2016
Med's Done....
06-02-2016
Interview........
Waived

Hi Caloca,

Greetings!! I just want to know, whether you entered in Canada without the validity of PR Card first time at the port of entry? Did you meet the residency obligations at the first entry to Canada? I have just one year left in my PR Card and I am afraid whether I will be reported at the port of entry in Canada.

Your response is appreciated.

Eusufzai

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

No issue as long as you’ve been living in Canada.

caloca

Nov 20, 2022
Hi Caloca,

Greetings!! I just want to know, whether you entered in Canada without the validity of PR Card first time at the port of entry? Did you meet the residency obligations at the first entry to Canada? I have just one year left in my PR Card and I am afraid whether I will be reported at the port of entry in Canada.

Your response is appreciated.

Eusufzai
Hello, I have always lived in Canada, I have not really traveled. I am inside Canada and I am going to renew my card due to travel plans that I have. since I got my PR status I have lived here, so I comply with it the RO.

rehanacca

Apr 22, 2017
Hello, I have always lived in Canada, I have not really traveled. I am inside Canada and I am going to renew my card due to travel plans that I have. since I got my PR status I have lived here, so I comply with it the RO.

You are in no trouble at all as you have been living here all time. However, you must present a PR Card or a PR Travel document when you return to Canada. Otherwise they won't let you enter so i'd suggest renew it before you travel.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are in no trouble at all as you have been living here all time. However, you must present a PR Card or a PR Travel document when you return to Canada. Otherwise they won't let you enter so i'd suggest renew it before you travel.
Neither are needed if you pass through a Canadian land border. They will let you enter even with your provincial driver license.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Neither are needed if you pass through a Canadian land border. They will let you enter even with your provincial driver license.
Really?

https://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/entering-canada
Permanent residents

Permanent residents (immigrants living in Canada who are not yet Canadian citizens) need a valid permanent resident card to return to Canada. Check the expiry date on your card.

Note that a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship is not a travel document. See Canadian Citizenship for further details.
---

But even that is not true for all PRs. For example a U.S. passport holder does NOT need to have a valid PR Card to `return' to Canada, nor do they need one to `re-enter' Canada (CBSA inspection), BUT will undoubtedly be questioned by CBSA as to why they do not have one.

This whole `needed to return to Canada' is because commercial carriers need to see the card (unless a U.S. passport holder).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Really?

https://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/entering-canada
Permanent residents

Permanent residents (immigrants living in Canada who are not yet Canadian citizens) need a valid permanent resident card to return to Canada. Check the expiry date on your card.

Note that a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship is not a travel document. See Canadian Citizenship for further details.
Please, how many times must we revisit exaclty the same topic?

Yes, government recommends and says in pretty strong language that PRs should travel with a PR card.

They will never, ever suggest it is a good idea to travel without one.

But they also cannot deny that a PR who makes it to a land border (i.e. not travelling by commercial carrier) will not be denied entry if they can show they are a PR. (Citizens too but different issue obviously). An expired PR card is sufficient to do so. So is almost any valid ID that matches properly the name DOB etc that they have on file. They must let a PR enter - the only difficulty can be demonstrating that they are that PR in their files. (Caveat for if all computers are down).

They can still make it unpleasant (secondary, wait a few hours, mild haranguing for travelling without proper id, etc) IF they want to.

Let's please not go over this again. This is a settled matter. IMO.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please, how many times must we revisit exaclty the same topic?

Yes, government recommends and says in pretty strong language that PRs should travel with a PR card.

They will never, ever suggest it is a good idea to travel without one.

But they also cannot deny that a PR who makes it to a land border (i.e. not travelling by commercial carrier) will not be denied entry if they can show they are a PR. (Citizens too but different issue obviously). An expired PR card is sufficient to do so. So is almost any valid ID that matches properly the name DOB etc that they have on file. They must let a PR enter - the only difficulty can be demonstrating that they are that PR in their files. (Caveat for if all computers are down).

They can still make it unpleasant (secondary, wait a few hours, mild haranguing for travelling without proper id, etc) IF they want to.

Let's please not go over this again. This is a settled matter. IMO.
Was merely replying to the previous post, showing that there is NOTHING indicating that a DL is acceptable.

And is anything in these forums ever really a settled matter? LOL!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Was merely replying to the previous post, showing that there is NOTHING indicating that a DL is acceptable.

And is anything in these forums ever really a settled matter? LOL!
But really this one is settled (for now at least). LOL!

Reactions: armoured