+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

1 year staying outside Canada

Citizenoftheworld

Jun 14, 2020
Dear all,
I am new to this forum but I have been following it for a while, through out my PR application and now the citizenship too
I have been reading online either on this blog and other blogs that some of the reasons of the RQ are staying outside Canada for 365 days or more in the last 4 years and being unemployed for extended periods of time.
How true is that, I have been a year outside Canada (majorly soft landing) and was unemployed for some time when I arrived in Canada.
So what do you guys think

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Dear all,
I am new to this forum but I have been following it for a while, through out my PR application and now the citizenship too
I have been reading online either on this blog and other blogs that some of the reasons of the RQ are staying outside Canada for 365 days or more in the last 4 years and being unemployed for extended periods of time.
How true is that, I have been a year outside Canada (majorly soft landing) and was unemployed for some time when I arrived in Canada.
If you went away after a soft landing then you didn't really settle down here until you actually came back to establish residency. I don't think that should be a problem.

I am not sure about the unemployment part and how they view extended periods of unemployment. Can you link any threads here that talk about unemployment being a concern?

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/reasons-you-may-get-a-rq.555296/

And thank you for answering, this link also mentions travelling outisde for extended periods
I will go over the thread later.

An important thing to notice is that only a small number of applications get RQ and not every soft landing person gets it. And a LOT of people do a soft landing. Most applications go through without hitch.

I don't know about the extended unemployment periods though.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
ok, so i read the website quickly. Seems like you have a valid concern. However most of your time away from canada can easily be explained by soft landing issue. And you can probably explain that to them as well.

A few months of unemployment in Canada shouldn't be a big problem though.

As long as you can conclusively prove that you were in Canada for 1095 days in last 5 years, you should be able to get citizenship.

Reactions: Citizenoftheworld

Citizenoftheworld

Jun 14, 2020
It does make sense because unemployment is not the applicants mistake is he/she is vigilant in looking for one, ofc if the applicant keeps denying jobs looking for the perfect one might be inadvisable but again, I dont know why people say unemployment is a concern, what if someone has 50k or something to sustain a year or more without working

omerhaha

Star Member
Dec 15, 2017
Dear all,
Do you have an address contract for 3 years ? , if yes that will help a lot in proving that you was in Canada for three years

Citizenoftheworld

Jun 14, 2020
Do you have an address contract for 3 years ? , if yes that will help a lot in proving that you was in Canada for three years
yea but having a contract isnt really a very good proof, someone could be living outside and wiring rents to maintain the address, but having the address contract that is at the same time in line with the address history and travel history will help
I have heard that questionings have become less and less ever since 2015 bill that was passed and that now IRCC is able to access the entry and exit database of the CBSA as well as the CRA for tax returns.
On paper non of the employment or the frequent travel/extended travel should be of any concern but that just puts the applicant including myself at unease
The only thing that is making me calm is the fact that my only affiliation to any country outside Canada was Saudi Arabia but I have cancelled the residence visa when I left (cancellation stamp on passport, and cancellation papers with me ) so that strengthens the fact that I have left Saudi and settled in Canada and that I dont reside/work there anymore. (I dont know I think it helps)

omerhaha

Star Member
Dec 15, 2017
yea but having a contract isnt really a very good proof, someone could be living outside and wiring rents to maintain the address, but having the address contract that is at the same time in line with the address history and travel history will help
I have heard that questionings have become less and less ever since 2015 bill that was passed and that now IRCC is able to access the entry and exit database of the CBSA as well as the CRA for tax returns.
On paper non of the employment or the frequent travel/extended travel should be of any concern but that just puts the applicant including myself at unease
The only thing that is making me calm is the fact that my only affiliation to any country outside Canada was Saudi Arabia but I have cancelled the residence visa when I left (cancellation stamp on passport, and cancellation papers with me ) so that strengthens the fact that I have left Saudi and settled in Canada and that I dont reside/work there anymore. (I dont know I think it helps)
It will definitely help a lot