+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

“ MEDICAL TEACHERS FROM BASIC SCIENCES ” # LETS NETWORK AND GET CONNECTED ”

drofacademics

Dec 8, 2009
Dear All ,
I am starting this thread for Medical Teachers in Basic Medical Science who have applied under NOC - Code 4121 ( University Professors ) OR NOC - Code 2121 Biologists & Related Scientists.
Please share all the relevant information so that we can benefit from each others experience and knowledge and hence establish in regulated professions in Canada.
I look forward for your time and consideration.
Regards ,

drofacademics

drofacademics

Dec 8, 2009
Dear Friends ,
Greetings
I started this thread with the sole intention of having an academic platform where medical teachers can benefit each other . Now it appears that this forum is not visited by medical teachers in basic medical science . But I will keep this thread alive by keep on posting my experiences , struggle and solution for making a way in the Canadian Universities for teaching & research in Basic Medical Sciences ( e.g., Anatomy , Physiology, Biochemistry , Pharmacology etc) .
The life of an academician is very different from people of others profession . If in a country like Canada where we immigrate with high hopes for a good future in academics but land up in “ Survival Jobs ” outside of our profession ( like pizza boy etc . ) then the situation is very awkward. I have read a lot of stories of University Professors working as security guards .
I have firm believe that this thread will be visited by some from Basic Medical Sciences in future . So I see people to learn from my experiences as I am struggling & brainstorming for ways to make direct entry into Canadian Universities for doctoral / masters programme .
I am thankful to everyone here who post a question & to people who answer them . This is infact a real active processing of learning from others experience and honest opinion .
( I learned more from seniors who were in 4th category of the proverb below )

I would like to share an Arabic Proverb :

Men are four :
1. He who knows not and knows not he knows not ,
he is a fool – shun him ;
2. He who knows not and knows he knows not ,
he is simple – teach him ;
3. He who knows and knows not he knows ,
he is asleep – wake him ;
4. He who knows and knows he knows ,
he is wise – follow him !

regards

drofacademics

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
This is a nice initiative Dear Dr. of Academics...

I hope others in your category utilize this opportunity to connect with each other [peers in the industry as they say]. Networking is the forte of this millennia, those who don't join the bandwagon, often are at loss. The more no. of ppl we know in life -the more chances we get for being successful.

U did the right thing opening a warm portal... wish u & others keep it alive.

Deep regards,
Qorax

ADUFE

Jun 28, 2009
Drofacademics,
Pls shed more light on the subject matter. My spouse hope to find work in Canada as an anatomy lecturer. We have already applied under NOC 4121. He has Masters and PHD.

drofacademics

Dec 8, 2009
Maam ...ADUFE
Greetings
Teaching in Canada is a regulated profession. If your hubby has a qualification from U.K , Australia or U.S.A then chances are good . But if he has qualification from a developing country , then chances are not so good. He will be appointed as a teaching assistant or prosector if any vacancy lies in the department . But the exact position will be more clear if he interacts with the concerned department .
But remember faculty positions are available to people trained from their system ( university ) or developed country .
Please provide more details about the country from which he obtained his qualification .
I will provide more specific answer . ( Also provide about his research area + publication )
Regards
drofacademics

ADUFE

Jun 28, 2009
He has a Masters and PhD from the University of the Witswatersrand in Johannesburg South Africa. He also taught anatomy there for about 7 years and has about 20 Publications in peer-reviewed international journals.

mpapdp.1984

Oct 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-11-2008
AOR Received.
18-03-2009
File Transfer...
27-10-2009
Med's Request
16-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-04-2010 (Reached Ottawa May 4 2010)
Interview........
waived
ADUFE said:
He has a Masters and PhD from the University of the Witswatersrand in Johannesburg South Africa. He also taught anatomy there for about 7 years and has about 20 Publications in peer-reviewed international journals.
I do not mean to sound too pessimistic here but getting a tenure track faculty position in Canada can be a nightmare. Tonnes of people with superior educational qualifications are vying for the few faculty positions that open up every year. Equal opportunity/affirmative action has little meaning when it comes to faculty positions. Often qualified individuals from other countries work as post-docs for years together before they can find anything substantial in their field.

That said, if you are the best in your profession, you should have no problems landing with a position in a reasonable period of time.