+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Zoom oath ceremony overseas?

AlmostOntario

Mar 29, 2022
Hi All,

I have just received my invite for the oath ceremony and I see they are still doing them virtually over zoom. I have left Canada and really find it hard to justify flying back to do a zoom call.

Has anyone just not told them they were not in Canada when they received the invite and told them they were when they asked before the ceremony and done it from overseas?

Do we know if they check with CBSA to see if you crossed the border? After dealing with IRCC for both PR and now the citizenship application I would be surprised if at this stage they do a check like that.

I know my PR card will be destroyed and it will take a long time to get a passport delivered overseas, that's not an issue and I've no problem waiting.

Just wondering if anyone else managed this?

Thanks.

aspiringcanadian292

Feb 26, 2022
Hey, it depends on your risk appetite to be honest.

Some people wouldn't risk at all. Some people would take the chance. However, I'm sure if they somehow have access to the zoom meeting locations and it appeared, it will be a complex situation that would probably end up in rescheduling your oath to a longer period.

If you can travel just for the oath and go back, that'd be better in my opinion to make sure everything is fine. I wouldn't risk that last step to be honest.

Reactions: baimmeb

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Hey, it depends on your risk appetite to be honest.

Some people wouldn't risk at all. Some people would take the chance. However, I'm sure if they somehow have access to the zoom meeting locations and it appeared, it will be a complex situation that would probably end up in rescheduling your oath to a longer period.

If you can travel just for the oath and go back, that'd be better in my opinion to make sure everything is fine. I wouldn't risk that last step to be honest.
I do agree with this comment, it really depends on Risk and Reward.....from what I read into Zoom....they can identify your location.

Look you've spent this much money, time and everything else to not want to return for a ceremony....one of the first questions that they ask you is that 'Are you in Canada?' so in effect you'd be lying straight off and so you've got to ask yourself really do you want to take the risk and fall at the last but one hurdle?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
You should ask all these questions to IRCC instead... Contact them before the ceremony, see what they say. Worst case, you can't do it from outside the country and your oath ceremony is postponed for a few months, which shouldn't be much of a problem anyway.

What's for sure : don't conceal information and be truthful with them.

Reactions: BeerBeem

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hi All,

I have just received my invite for the oath ceremony and I see they are still doing them virtually over zoom. I have left Canada and really find it hard to justify flying back to do a zoom call.

Has anyone just not told them they were not in Canada when they received the invite and told them they were when they asked before the ceremony and done it from overseas?

Do we know if they check with CBSA to see if you crossed the border? After dealing with IRCC for both PR and now the citizenship application I would be surprised if at this stage they do a check like that.

I know my PR card will be destroyed and it will take a long time to get a passport delivered overseas, that's not an issue and I've no problem waiting.

Just wondering if anyone else managed this?

Thanks.
Interesting question!

This was the first question posed by the office in my Oath ceremony to physically confirm that I am indeed in Canada.

Don't know if you'll really get an answer if someone wasn't and still answered yes to that question. Do they check IP addresses and confirm, maybe, maybe not. Could that explain some of the delays in receiving the certificate? Who knows!
Could they verify with CBSA? Perhaps if they suspect. This could very well be true for all those who have taken the test while outside Canada. In some cases, those awaiting Oath have been asked to submit passport copies after they return to Canada. Quite a few posts on the forum dealing with that subject.

Would anyone be willing to take the risk of lying and claim they are in Canada while they are not? I waited close to 4 years to become a citizen so will be the last one willing to take that chance. There are quite a few posts here about urgent processing of certificate and passports, so that option is also open, unless you are completely against the idea of travelling for a zoom call, covid travel hassles, carbon footprint of commercial flights etc etc. There's a documented case of someone on the forum getting a passport within 72 hours of Oath and travelling back. So, options exist.

Alimohmand

Jul 18, 2021
Be truthful and explain your reasons. My request to give oath ceremony outside of Canada was granted, and there's at least one more applicant who wrote that she was allowed to take oath abroad. But it's a case to case scenario for sure.
Hi my friend, Im in the same boat, dont want to go just for a zoom call. I can get the certificate and passport delivered to my address in Edmonton. Could you let us know are there other people too who have conducted oath ceremony outside canada. And what reason did you provide to them?
Thank you so much

Svet81

Aug 15, 2014
Hi my friend, Im in the same boat, dont want to go just for a zoom call. I can get the certificate and passport delivered to my address in Edmonton. Could you let us know are there other people too who have conducted oath ceremony outside canada. And what reason did you provide to them?
Thank you so much
My reasons are personal and I'm not comfortable sharing on a public forum. The reasons are not health related and I do not serve in the Canadian military, though

Reactions: Dreamlad

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Thank you so much
Look....you went through the process over whatever time period and you're basically saying (and I do agree to an extent) that you can't be bothered to go for as you put it a 'Zoom Call'.....but had the pandemic not have happened you would've had to have jumped through ALL of the hoops as per the norm, the fact that tests were managed to be done outside of Canada (yes me included) and that interviews are also being allowed....now with the final step in the process....you also want that outside....come on please! I also apologise because yes I don't know your circs, money isn't easy and commitments mean it's tough but sometimes in life you have no choice....Svet81 and I believe reading on here another 1 or 2 people were lucky but again they probably had concrete reasoning.....I received my invitation and the least I could do was be in Canada as per guidelines.....was it easy NO, was it cheap NO, did I want to do it NO but I knew at some point I'd have to and so I sucked it up (to use a North American phrase) and obtained my citizenship inside Canada.
So if you don't want to do it then pick up the blower, tell them your jackanory (story) and see what the outcome is.

I'm not attacking or having a go (I know reading back I'm even afraid of myself lol!), but you really hand on heart even with whatever work, health or family commitments can't say that you didn't know this day would come.....so good luck and it'd be great to hear how your request gets on.

Cheers fella

tenacioustopanga

Star Member
Dec 9, 2017
I think part of this is logical too - if you attend your oath abroad and you cut up your PR card at the ceremony, how will you renter Canada to get your Canadian passport?

Jakke

Star Member
Nov 6, 2021
I think part of this is logical too - if you attend your oath abroad and you cut up your PR card at the ceremony, how will you renter Canada to get your Canadian passport?
You get someone to send you the certificate by DHL. Then you apply for a passport at the local Canadian embassy.

Reactions: snoopyta

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
You get someone to send you the certificate by DHL. Then you apply for a passport at the local Canadian embassy.
IRCC will send the certificate to the nearest Canadian embassy but it'll take up to 6 months. This is the official response from IRCC.

Saggitarius

Sep 29, 2006
Be truthful and explain your reasons. My request to give oath ceremony outside of Canada was granted, and there's at least one more applicant who wrote that she was allowed to take oath abroad. But it's a case to case scenario for sure.
What was your reason to take the oath out of Canada can I ask? I am asking because I want to ask them the same, my father is seriously ill and opnce I leave Canada , I don't know if I will return actually.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
What was your reason to take the oath out of Canada can I ask? I am asking because I want to ask them the same, my father is seriously ill and opnce I leave Canada , I don't know if I will return actually.
Their answer was explained here in this thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/zoom-oath-ceremony-overseas.763120/post-10039053

To the nearest Canadian embassy overseas?
Every embassy (or diplomatic mission, to be more general), by definition, is overseas.