+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

YouTuber as a job...how to proceed?

KierraRain

Oct 10, 2017
If your “job” is a full time streamer who takes donations for a living, what is your job classification in reference to immigration? Would you need a work permit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't think this will be classified as work experience for immigration purposes since work experience needs to be paid (i.e. salary, hourly wage, paid based on work/contracts completed). Donations don't meet any of these requirements.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If any of your revenue comes from Canadian companies or citizens, I would think that would require a work permit.

KierraRain

Oct 10, 2017
I don't think this will be classified as work experience for immigration purposes since work experience needs to be paid (i.e. salary, hourly wage, paid based on work/contracts completed). Donations don't meet any of these requirements.
If any of your revenue comes from Canadian companies or citizens, I would think that would require a work permit.
That’s where it gets muddy. If you’re partnered with Twitch as a streamer, people subscribe to your channel and or give you donations. That’s how you make your living in Australia. You are thinking of making a move to Canada being sponsored as common law. Streamer/YouTuber is not on the list of jobs that don’t require a work permit. Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this kind of situation? I’m asking for my daughter who is a permanent resident wanting to sponsor her bf

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That’s where it gets muddy. If you’re partnered with Twitch as a streamer, people subscribe to your channel and or give you donations. That’s how you make your living in Australia. You are thinking of making a move to Canada being sponsored as common law. Streamer/YouTuber is not on the list of jobs that don’t require a work permit. Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this kind of situation? I’m asking for my daughter who is a permanent resident wanting to sponsor her bf
Once someone is a PR - there's no need for a work permit. If their relationship is in fact serious, your daughter should simply marry her bf and sponsor him for PR. Problem solved.

Before he is a PR, he has to be careful what work he engages in while in Canada. The rules are quite clear. Specifically, he cannot be receiving payments from Canadians or anyone in Canada - doing so without a work permit will be classified as working illegally and a violation of his status in Canada. However it would be find to take payments from non-Canadians / people who are not in Canada. I suspect this might be difficult to achieve since I'm guessing the subscriptions aren't that specific that he's able to exclude people based on geography - but maybe he can?