+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Your advice needed: Q10 of the application + FBI clearance PLS help!

H

highhopes

Hi all,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read through this. Any input would be highly appreciated.
I have several specific questions. Here's my situation:

I acquired my undergrad degree in the US and have lived there for six years. I've been accepted at Concordia in Montreal for a 2 year Masters program. I have submitted my application for CAQ and I'm waiting for the results. Now, I know that in order to save time it is preferable that I submit my application for the study permit, while I'm waiting for the CAQ, however I'm not sure if I need FBI criminal record clearance or I can go without it. I'd be applying in the Canadian Embassy in Bucharest. In their website it says that I need to provide "clear police certificates for you and your accompanying spouse for any countries in which you have resided in for 6 months or more." It has no mention of FBI! However, I've been reading through forums and ppl mention that for ppl that have lived in the US, FBI clearance is needed as well. So I e-mailed the embassy and asked them and they said that I do need the FBI document.
First of all, I find it odd that this is not mentioned in the website. Regardless, I have submitted a request for the FBI doc a month ago, however it might take up to 13 WEEKS for it to come. My semester starts in Sep 2010 - I need to apply for the study permit asap! Has anyone been in the same situation? Can I go ahead and submit my application only with the State Clearance and without the FBI one, and maybe explain the situation in a letter to the embassy? Or maybe just pretend that I don't know that I need the FBI doc? After all, the embassy website doesn't mention it at all.

And one more question: I'm confused what to write on Q10 of the application for the study permit "The cost of my studies will be:"
In the Instruction Guide at 'cic dot ca' it says : "Provide the total cost of your education and living expenses while in Canada" - I understand this as the total cost of tuition (32k CAD) + living expenses for 2yrs (2x12k + 32 = 56K!) :(
However, in the local embassy website it says that I need to provide "original letter from the institution in Canada specifying the total costs for THE academic year" and "proof that sufficient funds are available and transferable to cover all expenses during THE academic year (grant, sponsorship, bank account)" - I understand this as I need to show funds only for the first year?? My admission offer also mentions the tuition only for the first year (17k CAD).
So what do I write in Q10? Do I follow the main instructions and write 32k? If I go with the local embassy's instructions and write 17k in Q10, would I be giving misleading information? I can show funds for about 45k CAD. So if I write 17k in Q10 I'm in good standing, but if I have to write 32k, the money I can show wont be enough :(

Sorry for the long post. I looked through the forum, trying to find answers to those questions but I couldn't find anything. Sorry, if this has been already discussed. And thank you once again for your help!

Cheers!

janx

Jun 29, 2010
hi,

How were you able to get the exact amount for you living expenses 2yrs (2x12k + 32 = 56K!)? Is it okay if I indicate $0.00 in this blank since I'm living with my cousin? Would that be fine in the embassy?

Thanks a lot! I hope somebody can help us what to indicate in the 'tuition fee' I also have the same problem.

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
highhopes said:
Hi all,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read through this. Any input would be highly appreciated.
I have several specific questions. Here's my situation:

I acquired my undergrad degree in the US and have lived there for six years. I've been accepted at Concordia in Montreal for a 2 year Masters program. I have submitted my application for CAQ and I'm waiting for the results. Now, I know that in order to save time it is preferable that I submit my application for the study permit, while I'm waiting for the CAQ, however I'm not sure if I need FBI criminal record clearance or I can go without it. I'd be applying in the Canadian Embassy in Bucharest. In their website it says that I need to provide "clear police certificates for you and your accompanying spouse for any countries in which you have resided in for 6 months or more." It has no mention of FBI! However, I've been reading through forums and ppl mention that for ppl that have lived in the US, FBI clearance is needed as well. So I e-mailed the embassy and asked them and they said that I do need the FBI document.
First of all, I find it odd that this is not mentioned in the website. Regardless, I have submitted a request for the FBI doc a month ago, however it might take up to 13 WEEKS for it to come. My semester starts in Sep 2010 - I need to apply for the study permit asap! Has anyone been in the same situation? Can I go ahead and submit my application only with the State Clearance and without the FBI one, and maybe explain the situation in a letter to the embassy? Or maybe just pretend that I don't know that I need the FBI doc? After all, the embassy website doesn't mention it at all.

And one more question: I'm confused what to write on Q10 of the application for the study permit "The cost of my studies will be:"
In the Instruction Guide at 'cic dot ca' it says : "Provide the total cost of your education and living expenses while in Canada" - I understand this as the total cost of tuition (32k CAD) + living expenses for 2yrs (2x12k + 32 = 56K!) :(
However, in the local embassy website it says that I need to provide "original letter from the institution in Canada specifying the total costs for THE academic year" and "proof that sufficient funds are available and transferable to cover all expenses during THE academic year (grant, sponsorship, bank account)" - I understand this as I need to show funds only for the first year?? My admission offer also mentions the tuition only for the first year (17k CAD).
So what do I write in Q10? Do I follow the main instructions and write 32k? If I go with the local embassy's instructions and write 17k in Q10, would I be giving misleading information? I can show funds for about 45k CAD. So if I write 17k in Q10 I'm in good standing, but if I have to write 32k, the money I can show wont be enough :(

Sorry for the long post. I looked through the forum, trying to find answers to those questions but I couldn't find anything. Sorry, if this has been already discussed. And thank you once again for your help!

Cheers!
U will need to provide state police report for the state that u have before for more than 6 mths and also FBI report. As for the funds, u will need to show, only the first year funds required to sustain your studies in canada, ie, tuition plus expenses.

Yes FBI reports take a longtime to process, same with the state police reports but if u submit asap then u will get it earlier as well. So dont hesitate and waste time waiting.