+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

young student sponsoring her peruvian fiance (soon to be husband)

rollinsc

Aug 16, 2009
Hi there,

My fiance and I are getting married in mid september. I am Canadian and he is from Peru. We are getting married in Lima, Peru. We are already looking into immigration as we know it is a long process. I am hoping to prepare the papers now, and finish his part while I am there in Lima so I can take it back to Canada and send in the application quicker.

Just a few questions:
1. Is he able to get a medical exam BEFORE we are legally married? Would it still be valid, as I do know these exam results can take a few months.
2. I was reading a few things that say the paperwork for the marriage could take awhile... we are just having a civil marriage, so would this be less complicated?
3. I am a student and will be working part (or possibly full time) coming September, when school starts. I am just wondering the requirements for finances. It says that:

"A Sponsor must demonstrate a level of income that meets the minimum necessary income or low-income cutoff (LICO) for a given family size, as established by Statistics Canada. The Sponsor is freed from this requirement if:
The individual requiring sponsorship is the spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner of the Canadian Sponsor"

But would I still need SOME kind of income to show? For the past 6 months (February-August) I have been in Peru with my fiance, studying there. 6 months before that I was working with the provincial government of Saskatchewan (August-February) so I would have a BIT of income to show. I am a bit worried though, because I am going back to university so will only be working part-time. Will my status as a student, and because I have not been working for the past 6 months, be an issue if we do apply for a visa. If I do need to put my income, am I able to include the money that my parents give me to support me while I am in university?

4. My fiance does not speak very good english. I will be helping him with his section of the immigration papers... does that mean I need to put myself as his representative. Am I even able to do that since I will be the one sponsoring him?

Please help! I am so nervous about doing these forms properly. We want to be (physically) together as soon as possible and are doing our best to prepare even now, before the wedding, so that things can run smoothly, and hopefully as quick as possible without problems.

jstmarried

Aug 17, 2009
hello there,
I am currently sponsoring my husband in peru it took me 5 months after i was married to get all the documentation needed. Translations to english need to be done for all of his documents. My application was forwarded to lima June 23, 2009. I am the sponsor...

Just a few questions:
1. Is he able to get a medical exam BEFORE we are legally married? Would it still be valid, as I do know these exam results can take a few months. You can get the medicals done and they are Valid for 12 months.
2. I was reading a few things that say the paperwork for the marriage could take awhile... we are just having a civil marriage, so would this be less complicated? NO,its worse.. a headache make sure you are prepared and get all the information and documents needed to get married. I had a hell of a time getting married in peru due to the new Tupac legislation. Make sure you have your birth certificate it needs to be recent. You have to get it stamped by the peruvian consulate in canada then take it to the ministerio del exterior and have it stamped then take it to a translator if it is not in spanish then take the translated copy back to the Ministerio del exterior and have it stamped again. You will need a letter of non impediment, the canadian embassy does not issue these in lima you will need to find out in canada how to get it. Ohh and did i mention that you have have an add put out in the paper for 15 day before you can get married. You need to present all your documents and you must be present. I would suggest looking into sending a power of authority letter to your husband to act on your behalf.3. I am a student and will be working part (or possibly full time) coming September, when school starts. I am just wondering the requirements for finances. It says that: No, for spousal application you don't have an income requirement.

hope this helps

saralune

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Visa Office......
lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-2009
Doc's Request.
11-2011
Med's Request
15-11-2011
Med's Done....
17-11-2011
Interview........
02-11-2011
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
09-12-2011, pick up friday !
Hey Glad I am not the only that will have to go throughtt he Lima office. We are getting married in 3 weeks in the states. He will be going back to Peru for the interview and then wait there the answer..

My ask why it took you 5 months to get everything together ?I mean I sort of know at this point what we will need and all that we are already getting hings together, but why 5 months ?? what did you exactly needed translated in all that ? Please let me know. We have been apart for about the last 2 years and a half even if we see each other about twice a month, but I want to get this over with ASAP. I can't wait for us to start our lives togethe, and I want to be as prepaired as possible when we are married so we can send out the applciation ASAP.

Also how as you application been going so far ? Timeline and so on.....

Thanks

jstmarried

Aug 17, 2009
Well it was alot of things really, I have been apart from my husband for 2.5 years as well, I went to peru in december to get married with a full month so we could fill out the application together. That didn't happen... had no time. I had problems getting married there.. we were given wrong information. so we gathered the documents needed but the police certificates they have an expiry of 3 month and i had to get my most recent option c for 2008, Living in a town south of peru is harder too because you have to travel to lima to get certain things done and thats expensive all together. You have to get the medical done 12 months valid, police certificates Policial,Penal,Judicial yes three certificates,Birth certificates,marriage certificate. You have to translate all if not in English. We had people we knew write letters to prove our marriage and love was genuine just in case and we had to go through the application throughly.. We wanted it perfect. Here are my timelines so far.

sent to cpcm May 26,2009
approved as sponsor June 23,2009
application forwarded to lima
I haven't heard anything since then :(

thefairy

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
voided
LANDED..........
april the 4th 2009
Hello,
Application was processed through the Lima office as well. Although we filed as conjugal partners, not spouses. Everything went fine and I'm now here in Canada :)
We are planning to get married next year in Peru though because that's where my family is. We are planning on getting married by both civil and religious ceremony. Have any tips you could share? We may not get married in Lima but in some other city as we would like a wedding in a small chappel preferibly in huaraz, cusco or some other place with nice colonial arquitechture and close to the mountains. Civil wedding may be in surco, Lima. So do you know where can I start with the tons of paperwork??
Thanks!

saralune

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Visa Office......
lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-2009
Doc's Request.
11-2011
Med's Request
15-11-2011
Med's Done....
17-11-2011
Interview........
02-11-2011
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
saralune said:
Hey Glad I am not the only that will have to go throughtt he Lima office. We are getting married in 3 weeks in the states. He will be going back to Peru for the interview and then wait there the answer..

My ask why it took you 5 months to get everything together ?I mean I sort of know at this point what we will need and all that we are already getting hings together, but why 5 months ?? what did you exactly needed translated in all that ? Please let me know. We have been apart for about the last 2 years and a half even if we see each other about twice a month, but I want to get this over with ASAP. I can't wait for us to start our lives togethe, and I want to be as prepaired as possible when we are married so we can send out the applciation ASAP.

Also how as you application been going so far ? Timeline and so on.....

Thanks
Did you get all the letters written by family and frends translated to french or english ? I know that most people we know will be able to do so, but a few won't...

Also do the police clerance and such need to be translated ??

If you could list the things that you did translat I would really appreciate.

rollinsc

Aug 16, 2009
Thanks for the responses... just wondering if it would be simpler to marry in Canada then?
I'm looking into it, and it seems pretty simple compared to all the crap you seem to go through in Peru. Just that my fiance would need a tourist visa. For the letter of invitation on the tourist visa (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/letter.asp) should I mention he would be coming because we are getting married? He would only be coming for a few weeks, but I know how strict they can be about giving out tourist visas. I am not sure if they would use that for or against him if I was to mention that in the letter?

saralune

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Visa Office......
lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-2009
Doc's Request.
11-2011
Med's Request
15-11-2011
Med's Done....
17-11-2011
Interview........
02-11-2011
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Hey, as far as I know getting a tourist visa for your fiance is going to be harder than anything. Get married in Peru. I am saying not knowing his situation exactly, but it is most likely that they will not give him one.... for varisous resons, but basically if he says that he wants to go to Canada to get married they will most probably not give him a visa based on the argument that once in Canada he might never go back to Peru....

Also if you decide to go down that route, you should mention he is coming to see you and to get married because it could get you back later on when applying for immigration. If he lies about his intention to enter Canada and then gets married, when they will look at his case he might lose credibility based on that and reject his application. They will say you told us you came to visit a friend, when really you meant to come here and get married to your girlfriend.

do a serach for "dual intent" on the forum. It has been talked about in great lenght a few time.

Beside I don't know his economical situation, but at his age (I assume he is probably in his 20's since you are a student), being a male it will be hard for him to get a visa regardless... unless he can show he has really strong ties to Peru, for example a good(money) stable job, property, a family(meaning kids and wife, not just his parents and cousins, brother), some money in his bank account( I don't remeber the exactnumber but I think it's about 3000 $)....

Young man in third world countries are desperate to get out of their countries to find a better future for themselves...Just based on that, they make it harder for them to get a tourist visa .. unfortunatelly

If you need more info, there is a Peru expat forum that I have found very useful form time to time. I can't find it now, bu tI'll do a bit of research. There is always lots of people asking about getting married in Peru.

Good Luck and let me know if you have any questions.

saralune

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Visa Office......
lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-2009
Doc's Request.
11-2011
Med's Request
15-11-2011
Med's Done....
17-11-2011
Interview........
02-11-2011
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
http://www.livinginperu.com/

here I just found the address.

jstmarried

Aug 17, 2009
Hello all take a look at this link i found basically all prerequisites are the same for all municipalities the pliegue for the marriage announcement on the paper varies form municipality this is the one for san isidro. Take a look at the Matrimonio para el extrangero you will definately need this the only thing it is in spanish.
http://www.msi.gob.pe/portal/images/stories/pdfs/leyes_y_normas/Tupa/mod9.pdf

You must find out what the pre-requisites are on the place you want to marry. I paid to have the add only be posted 3 days i/o the 15 days at my municipality due to travel but not all municipalities offer this we went to three with my husband.

jstmarried

Aug 17, 2009
Guys i strongly suggest if your planning to get married in peru do your homework first. I asked my husband to go to the municipality and find out. There was someone that was temp at the registrars office and gave him the wrong info. i was left going crazy if you have the documentation everything should go smoothly. I had problems with my birth certificate. I had the one that was given at birth. I was not born in canada i was born in the us. I went to the consulate and see if Do anything they said no because the state that i was born they were unable to duplicate my birthcertificate and gave me the worst advise ever... GO TO THE US AND GET IT...no other way??? i was already in peru and do not live in the states. I had to go a second time weeks after to see if they could do anything my parents were there too for the wedding and we had to travel 18 hours and of course everything is done in lima. Luckily the 2nd time i went the officer told me i could order online even luckier i had family there to help me recieve the certificate at their home, take it to the embassy of lima get it stamped and have it couriered to me not to the city were i was at but to LIma wich is 18 hours by Omni not only that it was christmas and new year time. While my family was here we couldn't get married although we tried we went to so many municipalities and nothing all required the same, i literally that we were not going to get married we had a symbolical ceremony while they were here it felt the same but we still had lots todo. God is great and we finally got married and it was just 3 days before i left. My mom said that the things that are harder to get are the things you cherish the most, these obstacles that you went through has only made your relationship stronger. She is right and even this process although torcherous has only made us stronger.

jstmarried

Aug 17, 2009
Last thing the fairy i found the prerequisites online for surco
http://www.munisurco.gob.pe/municipio/municipio.htm

saralune

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Visa Office......
lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-2009
Doc's Request.
11-2011
Med's Request
15-11-2011
Med's Done....
17-11-2011
Interview........
02-11-2011
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
jstmarried and the Fairy, any suggestion on where we can get teh docs translated, ideally in Peru since it will be cheaper.... or in Canada

thefairy

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
voided
LANDED..........
april the 4th 2009
thanks for all the info! I suppose getting married outside of Lima will always be more complicated since everything is so centralized in Lima. Arequipa is beautiful too, I think we should consider that city as well... Is in the route to cusco so it would make a great trip!
By the way, I translated all the documents in Peru, it was about 30 soles a page or document. The verified translator 's name I used is: Karen salvatierra. Ksm traducciones. Phone (511) 9629-5010 this is located in san borja. She was very professional and friendly, so I do recommend her services ! :)