+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Young American family looking into moving to Canada on a study visa

Canada411

Nov 16, 2016
Hey everyone my wife and I are looking into going to school in Canada. After she graduates and works for a year. Would she be able to apply for PR? We are from states I don't know if that matters. I plan on working until she finishes. Then I will go back to University. Any help is much appreciated.

Second question is it easier to migrate to Nova Scotia or Saint John VS Ontario/BC/Alberta Mantobia or is it all the same??

We originally wanted too move to Ontario but I was worried we wouldn't receive permanent residence because isn't it really competitive.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
A year of work experience in Canada unfortunately won't guarantee PR. There are many on this forum who have completed schooling in Canada and obtain a year of work experience, but still haven't been selected for permanent residency. The best piece of advice any of us can give you is to ensure your wife takes a program that is at least two years in length to ensure she qualifies for a 3 year PGWP. She should also ensure the program she takes makes sense in light of her previous education and work experience. In the event she plans to attend college rather than university - make sure it's a public college and not a private college (private colleges have bad reputations and often don't qualify for PGWPs even though they are on the DLI list).

I'd recommend you join the International Students section of the forum for your remaining questions. The fact you are American doesn't differentiate you from applicants from any other country - and you'll find the richest discussions related to studying in Canada in this section of the forum.

Andynd1uk

Star Member
Jan 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2016
AOR Received.
01-06-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
10-03-2016
Passport Req..
29-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2016
LANDED..........
10-09-2016
Canada411 said:
Hey everyone my wife and I are looking into going to school in Canada. After she graduates and works for a year. Would she be able to apply for PR? We are from states I don't know if that matters. I plan on working until she finishes. Then I will go back to University. Any help is much appreciated.

Second question is it easier to migrate to Nova Scotia or Saint John VS Ontario/BC/Alberta Mantobia or is it all the same??

We originally wanted too move to Ontario but I was worried we wouldn't receive permanent residence because isn't it really competitive.
Hi Canada411, you should probably redirect your first question to the International Students section under Temporary Immigration to Canada, somebody would be able to answer it better.

As for your second question it doesn't matter where in Canada you wish to migrate, sure Ontario and BC are more popular areas but it's entirely your choice where you end up. You may want to steer clear from Alberta considering we're in a recession here. Good luck.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Andynd1uk said:
As for your second question it doesn't matter where in Canada you wish to migrate, sure Ontario and BC are more popular areas but it's entirely your choice where you end up. You may want to steer clear from Alberta considering we're in a recession here. Good luck.
It actually does matter if someone is applying under PNP. While a PR is free to move where they wish to in Canada - if you are applying under PNP, the province will want to see you're going to make a commitment to live there. So for example, if an international student along with their family is all living and working in Ontario but attempts to apply for the Manitoba PNP program - Manitoba will likely state that it doesn't look like they have any intention of settling there and refuse the nomination unless the family can somehow demonstrate they are actively relocating. So I suspect the OP is thinking of PNP when considering where to attend school.