+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

You can Study Online while waiting for Study Permit untill August 2023 - IRCC Announcement today

cpsingh

Star Member
Jul 29, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Reactions: ssup2406

HS7

Jun 6, 2022
App. Filed.......
May 19, 2022
Med's Done....
June 6, 2022
International students studying online from abroad or who submit a study permit application no later than August 31, 2022, will continue to be able to complete up to 100% of their program online without affecting their PGWP eligibility.

Link below

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/distance-learning-measures.html
" At the height of the pandemic, measures were introduced to help mitigate the impact of travel and health restrictions on international students and Canada’s international education sector. These measures allowed international students to complete up to 100% of their program online from outside Canada without affecting their eligibility to a potential pathway to permanent residence. "

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting how we have to try so hard to show ties in our home country and that our stay for studies is temporary, we have to show we have no intention for permanent residence in Canada but in this notice they are literally reassuring us that completing education will not effect student path to permanent residence.

Reactions: aspirant256

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
" At the height of the pandemic, measures were introduced to help mitigate the impact of travel and health restrictions on international students and Canada’s international education sector. These measures allowed international students to complete up to 100% of their program online from outside Canada without affecting their eligibility to a potential pathway to permanent residence. "

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting how we have to try so hard to show ties in our home country and that our stay for studies is temporary, we have to show we have no intention for permanent residence in Canada but in this notice they are literally reassuring us that completing education will not effect student path to permanent residence.
This is only relevant if your program is 100% online. Most schools are back in-person and not offering online studies or have a hybrid program (some in-class and some on-line). So not sure who is eligible for this.

Reactions: HS7 and aspirant256

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020

IRCC loves to create confusion, leaving people wondering.

Reactions: HS7

HS7

Jun 6, 2022
App. Filed.......
May 19, 2022
Med's Done....
June 6, 2022
This is only relevant if your program is 100% online. Most schools are back in-person and not offering online studies or have a hybrid program (some in-class and some on-line). So not sure who is eligible for this.
Yea I understand it is for online and they are saying that online student will be treated same as student studying onsite (physically in school) in term of PGWP and permanent residency.

My point is that I see quite a few students getting visa refusal due to " I am refusing your application because you have not established that you will leave Canada, based on the following factors : The purpose of your visit is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details provided in your application. ".

This visa refusal Implies that the visa officer thinks that the student is not coming to Canada for a temporary stay but to stay permanently right?

But... In this latest notice they are saying that study in Canada (distance/online/onsite) is path to permanent residence and reassuring us that it will not be affected if study is done online.

So in summary IRCC logic is that they know that most student are coming to Canada to stay permanently (by their own admission in the latest notice) but then will give a visa refusal if you don't show in your SOP that your stay is temporary.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yea I understand it is for online and they are saying that online student will be treated same as student studying onsite (physically in school) in term of PGWP and permanent residency.

My point is that I see quite a few students getting visa refusal due to " I am refusing your application because you have not established that you will leave Canada, based on the following factors : The purpose of your visit is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details provided in your application. ".

This visa refusal Implies that the visa officer thinks that the student is not coming to Canada for a temporary stay but to stay permanently right?

But... In this latest notice they are saying that study in Canada (distance/online/onsite) is path to permanent residence and reassuring us that it will not be affected if study is done online.

So in summary IRCC logic is that they know that most student are coming to Canada to stay permanently (by their own admission in the latest notice) but then will give a visa refusal if you don't show in your SOP that your stay is temporary.
No that is not what the statement mean at all. GCMS notes will help but it can mean program doesn't build on education, doesn't show career progression, can't justify costs of the program, no ties to home country, immigration status.

RamSatt

Mar 8, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-12-2020
Med's Done....
15-11-2020
Passport Req..
17-03-2021
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2021
LANDED..........
19-04-2021
Last year my university started classes for the summer semester in-person and then switched to online in the 2nd week, because they noted that a lot of the students didn't land in Canada yet. While I agree the COVID restrictions and flight bans that existed last year, don't now, the processing time for visas are still pretty long. This could benefit colleges and universities where the majority of students haven't landed for their program in-person.

Will be very confusing, in case of last-minute changes though.