+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

yet another border question

raptorfan

Sep 14, 2009
I have filed my application to be sponsored by my common law spouse(CLS), outland. I am from the US, she is Canadian. Now I will soon be a few months into the process when my six months 'visitor' are up. So I am considering my options( I am currently in Canada):

(1) recross the border. My CLS and I will make a brief visit to the states and then return. I will plan to be here for say, seven weeks and then return. Airline ticket will reflect this. In seven weeks or so we will repeat . Alternative to this annoying back and forth is to ask for visitors record, but from what I have read this isnt always a good idea. Of course, they might stamp me for six months.

(2) send away for an extension when I am within 30 days or so of exceeding six months. Seems like these are usually granted for Americans (for another six months?), but what happens if I am still not a PR when this six months are up? Can I request another extension?? Everything is out in the open when I file the extension request.

(3) do nothing and wait it out. Will this have an impact when, say, PR is granted 8 months from now and my passport doesnt show recent entry? any other problems(other than the obvious that I can be kicked out)?

Opinions?

gypsygirl

Sep 12, 2009
I would say your best bet is to recross the border. You didn't mention where you are and whether you can possibly cross the border without having to fly. Can you drive across? You definately want to leave before your visa expires to show that you haven't stayed longer than supposed to.
Also, as a US citizen you do not need to reapply for a visa as you can stay for 6 months without a visa in your passport and you should have no problems re-entering Canada.
If you have already applied for PR, given that you don't have any legal issues, previous marriages or kids it shouldn't take longer than 6 months (at the most) to get your PR.

Hope this helps.

raptorfan

Sep 14, 2009
Thanks, gypsygirl. I am worried that, since I am now a PR applicant it will show up in my (Or my GF(sponsors)) information that is scanned at the border. Since they would now know what my true intents are, they might be more forceful and prohibit entrance or limit my stay.

Do you think overstaying represents a problem towards obtaining PR? My overstay is because my previous entry was about six months ago.

I also think that if I apply for an extension I will probably get a few months while they figure out what to do with me.

vivam

Jan 15, 2009
Kamloops
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8/30/2011/sponsor approved 10/23/2011
Med's Done....
6/10/2011/meds rec'd 01/03/2012
Passport Req..
2/13/2012
LANDED..........
5/11/2012
raptorfan said:
I have filed my application to be sponsored by my common law spouse(CLS), outland. I am from the US, she is Canadian. Now I will soon be a few months into the process when my six months 'visitor' are up. So I am considering my options( I am currently in Canada):

(1) recross the border. My CLS and I will make a brief visit to the states and then return. I will plan to be here for say, seven weeks and then return. Airline ticket will reflect this. In seven weeks or so we will repeat . Alternative to this annoying back and forth is to ask for visitors record, but from what I have read this isnt always a good idea. Of course, they might stamp me for six months.

(2) send away for an extension when I am within 30 days or so of exceeding six months. Seems like these are usually granted for Americans (for another six months?), but what happens if I am still not a PR when this six months are up? Can I request another extension?? Everything is out in the open when I file the extension request.

(3) do nothing and wait it out. Will this have an impact when, say, PR is granted 8 months from now and my passport doesnt show recent entry? any other problems(other than the obvious that I can be kicked out)?

Opinions?

I think number 2 option is your best bet. You can request another extension, while I am not personally familiar with filing extensions, I am another website where some people with "issues" have been in canada going on 2 years using extensions. Remember being in Canada is considered a privilege not a right and each time you cross the border you are the mercy of the guards. Until you are a PR I would cross the border as little as possible.

gypsygirl

Sep 12, 2009
Hey Raptorfan,

My husband is american and crosses the border at least twice or three times a week to come and see. He drives though. They can definately see that you applied for PR when they scan your passport which is actually in your favor because they will know why you are in Canada. A lot of ppl are already staying in Canada with their spouses while they are waiting for their application. It's normal so don't worry. It's common with outland application. If you don't want to leave the country, apply for an extension, I suggest you don't overstay. Don't worry about crossing the border, make sure you're honest. You're not doing anything wrong.

raptorfan

Sep 14, 2009
gypsygirl,
Your husband is frequently crossing the border. I don't want to be in a position where I have to cross the border frequently because if will increase the risk of a problem as well as being very inconvienient.. I would indicate a stay of a few months which might cause a red flag to be raised. Anything less than that might not be totally truthful and I don't want to get into that position.

It seems to me that requesting an extension is the safest way and I really can't think of a reason why it would be rejected(I know you could say the same thing about the border but it seems to me(heresay, I guess) that the border is more unpredictable.

raptorfan

Sep 14, 2009
vivam,

I tend to agree with you. I have crossed the border numerous tiimes in the past, but now that my application is in, I would rather not be questioned at the border about my obvious intentions and about how long I will be staying( I would need to put down multi - month stays and do a border crossing every few months). Alternative would be to ask for six months and I might as well do that via an extension.

raptorfan

Sep 14, 2009
while awaiting my PR(sponsored as family class by spouse - outland) I am filing for an extension of my visitor status. Question about client ID. We have received the letter from CIC approving my spouse as a sponsor. I believe the client id on that letter is hers - not mine. I therefore should leave the client id space on my extension request(IMM 1249) blank. Can anyone confirm?