Years of education

gurleegurl

Star Member
Dec 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Form 5540.

Question 5 regarding education, my husband only finished up to grade 12 and I'm not sure if its equivalent to HS/secondary? And if I check that box, should I write "12" in number of years completed or does this only apply for number of years completed while in HS?

Thanks

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
I've done a rough draft of the forms for my fiance's application and that form is for the sponsor. For myself I checked off university and put 5 years because that's how many years I attended university for. In the guide for question 5, form 5540 it says "Check the appropriate box to indicate your highest level of education and provide the number of years of study completed." I took that to mean the number of years of study at that level, so if highschool/secondary is from 9-12, I understand that u would write "4 years." But really it can be interpreted in different ways... that's how I interpreted it....
Perhaps some other people will chime in and explain how they interpreted it.... It could be total education (encompassing elementary and secondary) and in that case would be 12 years.... on mine though, I put the number of years at that particular level....

Sorry, not much help... you could try the call centre and ask them, however, I've heard that depending on who u talk to, different answers are often given...

Now looking at it, I'm second guessing myself and thinking that it should be that's the highest level completed and how many years in total for all education.... therefore in your case it would be 12.... BAH! I don't know. Sorry for rambling and not being helpful.... the more I look and analyze the more I second guess my initial reaction.

weary-damsil31

Star Member
Feb 8, 2011
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2012
Med's Done....
April 28,2012
LANDED..........
July 10/14
I also had a confusion to that question but when i called the cic the lady whom i talked to said that its the total of the post secondary...the guide says,total of number of formal education...so,people from here said it's from elementary to completion of bachelors degree.so i did answer 14... :p