+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Xray results showed abnormality but I am healthy -- please help

wonderbread

May 23, 2019
I had my medical examination and x-ray done; however, my x-ray showed some shadowing on my lungs.

The immigration doctor that organized all the tests told me to not worry and proceed with my application, but they may contact me to take another x-ray, and it may severely slow down my visa acceptance.

I am quite certain I am healthy as I haven't been to a TB risk country, am very healthy, young, and work from home (never around sick people).

So what I am wondering is if going to a family doctor and getting additional xrays showing the issue is benign can help?

If I am contacted by an immigration officer about a potential lung abnormality, can I present the additional tests I took from my family doctor as proof there is no issue and avoid having to wait and take the additional tests through the immigration approved xray clinic again?

I have heard about people with disabilities being able to use the word/tests of their family doctor to help them get their visa accepted, but have not heard how it works for abnormalities in xrays.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will have to do a sputum culture and a repeat x-ray after 3 months. If there is no sign of TB or other disease you application will be processed.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Yeah, I don't think they'll take the word of your family doctor for this one because they take potential TB very seriously in Canada.

As previously mentioned, your application will just be delayed 3 more months while the sputum test is completed.

Reactions: visatest and scylla

visatest

May 24, 2016
London Ontario Canada
Yeah, I don't think they'll take the word of your family doctor for this one because they take potential TB very seriously in Canada.

As previously mentioned, your application will just be delayed 3 more months while the sputum test is completed.
TB is a disease that has essentially been eliminated in Canada. Someone who has or has the possiblity of being ill is VERY closely examined and followed up.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
TB is a disease that has essentially been eliminated in Canada. Someone who has or has the possiblity of being ill is VERY closely examined and followed up.
There is TB but usually limited to vulnerable populations like indigenous populations in reserves, homeless people and refugees. Plus others who pick up TB while traveling. Canada doesn't want a TB problem especially the multi drug resistant kind.

wonderbread

May 23, 2019
Well, I don't have TB. And I haven't even been out of the country in 5 years. And I've never been to a TB risk country in my life.

The abnormality is likely nothing, scar tissue, etc.

I believe I also had an xray last year which came back fine.

Unless the old people are spewing germs into the air ducts here in my apartment building, I don't see how I could have anything, especially considering I have 0 symptoms.

My hope was that my family doctor might be able to rule TB out; perhaps another x-ray will show nothing and the first was in error, or he could confirm it was was residual benign infection (even though I haven't been really sick in years, nor had a cough in years either).

Can any of this be presented to your immigration officer as supporting evidence to rule out having to wait 3 months and do a sputum test?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well, I don't have TB. And I haven't even been out of the country in 5 years. And I've never been to a TB risk country in my life.

The abnormality is likely nothing, scar tissue, etc.

I believe I also had an xray last year which came back fine.

Unless the old people are spewing germs into the air ducts here in my apartment building, I don't see how I could have anything, especially considering I have 0 symptoms.

My hope was that my family doctor might be able to rule TB out; perhaps another x-ray will show nothing and the first was in error, or he could confirm it was was residual benign infection (even though I haven't been really sick in years, nor had a cough in years either).

Can any of this be presented to your immigration officer as supporting evidence to rule out having to wait 3 months and do a sputum test?
Unless you have previous x-rays that show the exact same areas of scarring on your lungs then no you will likely have to wait the 3 months.

wonderbread

May 23, 2019
Unless you have previous x-rays that show the exact same areas of scarring on your lungs then no you will likely have to wait the 3 months.
What if a doctor determined there was nothing there and the first was error of xray/technician or something like that. Do you think that could be used?

I just know some people who have issues, when immigration calls them back they have a finite amount of time like 15 days or so to present additional information or else the application is denied. Although I have typically read this when it comes to former arrests, charges, or people with disabilities where they need to know whether they are health enough to work or not via family doctor proof.

I should clarify why I'm asking this as well: My immigration approved doctor who organized the xray and bloodwork was the one who called about having shadowing on both lungs. However, I was told that it was minor and to not worry and just apply, and that immigration would contact me in a few days if there was an issue. I asked if I should follow up with my family doc as I thought there was nothing wrong; however, I was told to not worry and just wait and see.

It's now been about 14 days since. Don't want to start throwing up red flags by getting tests and what not but am worried perhaps a family doctor could clear this up if it were nothing and not have to cost me another 3 months waiting time.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What if a doctor determined there was nothing there and the first was error of xray/technician or something like that. Do you think that could be used?

I just know some people who have issues, when immigration calls them back they have a finite amount of time like 15 days or so to present additional information or else the application is denied. Although I have typically read this when it comes to former arrests, charges, or people with disabilities where they need to know whether they are health enough to work or not via family doctor proof.

I should clarify why I'm asking this as well: My immigration approved doctor who organized the xray and bloodwork was the one who called about having shadowing on both lungs. However, I was told that it was minor and to not worry and just apply, and that immigration would contact me in a few days if there was an issue. I asked if I should follow up with my family doc as I thought there was nothing wrong; however, I was told to not worry and just wait and see.

It's now been about 14 days since. Don't want to start throwing up red flags by getting tests and what not but am worried perhaps a family doctor could clear this up if it were nothing and not have to cost me another 3 months waiting time.
Your family doctor cannot help. The further tests must be performed by the IRCC approved doctor.

What you're talking about is a procedural fairness letter where IRCC is getting to refuse someone due to medical issues. In this case you can introduce evidence from other doctors to try to fight this. This is not your situation. You're just at the point of completing your medical exam.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Impossible for a doctor to guarantee that there is nothing there if there are shadows on the x-ray. As I specified if you had a recent chest x-ray that shows the same shadows that would show that there is no active disease. It is very common to have to give a sputum sample for culture and do repeat x-rays. It just takes time for things to grow in the sputum. Even if they find something you will just be given treatment not denied forever.

ruby*2275

Sep 30, 2019
I've got my sputum test result and its negative. My 2nd xtray was done last sept. 19 I received a letter from ircc that my medical was incomplete and need more medical information required.. I went to my panel physician and gave the letter he said they just submit my last xtray on sept 24. And I asked him about the result of my xtray he said my lungs are stable and my 1st and 2nd xtray is the same.. but the consulate doctor still want me to do the 3rd xtray. I asked the doctor why? He said maybe they want to make it sure for the stability of my lungs... although my sputum culture and genexpert are negative... it really doesnt make sense at all coz I still need to wait for another 3 months to do my 3rd xtray.. it takes too Long for me to wait and the processing of my Visa is delay. I was so scared that my employer will gonna back out... anybody here has the same situations like me.. thank you..

prasad003

Star Member
Jul 14, 2019
Hi all need your help I had sputum test which were negative and had X ray second time which has some scar so embassy again write some test and refer me to same doctor I am really worried what will happen know can any one know any thing about this situation

Raman137

Feb 17, 2021
I've got my sputum test result and its negative. My 2nd xtray was done last sept. 19 I received a letter from ircc that my medical was incomplete and need more medical information required.. I went to my panel physician and gave the letter he said they just submit my last xtray on sept 24. And I asked him about the result of my xtray he said my lungs are stable and my 1st and 2nd xtray is the same.. but the consulate doctor still want me to do the 3rd xtray. I asked the doctor why? He said maybe they want to make it sure for the stability of my lungs... although my sputum culture and genexpert are negative... it really doesnt make sense at all coz I still need to wait for another 3 months to do my 3rd xtray.. it takes too Long for me to wait and the processing of my Visa is delay. I was so scared that my employer will gonna back out... anybody here has the same situations like me.. thank you..
Hey dear
Same happen with me
Did ur medical passed?
And how
Can u explain plz... I m worried and in same situation... Plz reply

Raman137

Feb 17, 2021
Hi all need your help I had sputum test which were negative and had X ray second time which has some scar so embassy again write some test and refer me to same doctor I am really worried what will happen know can any one know any thing about this situation
Did ur medical passed???
In same situation
Plz help

musaraza14

Jun 3, 2020
Once an applicant is diagnosed with TB, is he/she officially advised by IRCC to undergo treatment?
What I am worried about is that I would be submitting my PR application this week and the sputum sample collections would start from tomorrow for 3 days. The results would be out in Feb 2022, followed by a repeat Chest Xray in mid March 2022. God forbid, if I am diagnosed with TB (curable one), would IRCC reject my application right away or they would further refer me for treatment to their approved physician in my country and await for the final results of the treatment (6-8 months) and then make decision on my application processing? (The underlined scenario is quite unclear). Would appreciate valuable input.