+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wrong Study Permit Application [Mistake]

kcoakley

Jun 21, 2022
Hello, how can I fix a mistake I made on an already submitted study permit application? I just submitted my study permit application on the 18th and thought that I'd done what I was supposed to do (I already have a study permit, I was applying for an extension on it per the recommendation of the border officer who originally issued it and other online information I sought out), but it turns out because I'm currently outside of Canada for the summer, I was supposed to apply for an entirely new study permit application as opposed to the extension (so I submitted a 5709 rather than the 1294). I didn't realize this until literally today because I was double checking something else on my university's international student services page. I've contacted them for help, but I'd really like to resolve this issue today and not keep the incorrect application submitted as I don't want it to seem like an intentional misrepresentation of my location because it was NOT. Should I submit a withdrawal form to the IRCC or should I just submit the 1294 document as a replacement document?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, how can I fix a mistake I made on an already submitted study permit application? I just submitted my study permit application on the 18th and thought that I'd done what I was supposed to do (I already have a study permit, I was applying for an extension on it per the recommendation of the border officer who originally issued it and other online information I sought out), but it turns out because I'm currently outside of Canada for the summer, I was supposed to apply for an entirely new study permit application as opposed to the extension (so I submitted a 5709 rather than the 1294). I didn't realize this until literally today because I was double checking something else on my university's international student services page. I've contacted them for help, but I'd really like to resolve this issue today and not keep the incorrect application submitted as I don't want it to seem like an intentional misrepresentation of my location because it was NOT. Should I submit a withdrawal form to the IRCC or should I just submit the 1294 document as a replacement document?
Submit application for a new study permit, and send webform to withdraw extension. Processing averages 12-14 weeks.

kcoakley

Jun 21, 2022
Submit application for a new study permit, and send webform to withdraw extension. Processing averages 12-14 weeks.
Okay, that's what I thought. Do you think there will be any issues with my withdrawal request? I'm just concerned that I'll be flagged for intentional misrepresentation which I know I didn't do and I just want to make it as clear as possible on my request to withdraw that I just misunderstood what application I was supposed to use.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Okay, that's what I thought. Do you think there will be any issues with my withdrawal request? I'm just concerned that I'll be flagged for intentional misrepresentation which I know I didn't do and I just want to make it as clear as possible on my request to withdraw that I just misunderstood what application I was supposed to use.
It isn’t misrepresentation so don’t worry about that.

kcoakley

Jun 21, 2022
It isn’t misrepresentation so don’t worry about that.
I have another question if possible--I'm currently filling out the new study permit application form, but I was wondering if you think it'd be better for me to just fully reapply at a Port of Entry because I'm a US citizen/eligible to do that and thus wouldn't have to wait the full weeks' time (which I can't really wait for because my original study permit expires the 7th of September.)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have another question if possible--I'm currently filling out the new study permit application form, but I was wondering if you think it'd be better for me to just fully reapply at a Port of Entry because I'm a US citizen/eligible to do that and thus wouldn't have to wait the full weeks' time (which I can't really wait for because my original study permit expires the 7th of September.)
Ah…you are a US citizen. You can apply at POE.

Applying at a POE
The foreign nationals who may apply for a study permit when entering Canada [R214] are any

• national or permanent resident of the United States (U.S.)
  • person who has lawfully been admitted to the U.S. for permanent residence
  • resident of Greenland or St. Pierre and Miquelon
Note: To apply for a study permit at an air POE, a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. who is travelling to Canada must apply for and obtain an eTA before boarding their flight to Canada.

Note: As of April 26, 2022, lawful permanent residents of the U.S. do not need an eTA to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport. In all methods of travel, they must present their passport and proof of their valid lawful permanent resident status in the U.S. (such as a valid green card or a valid I-551 [ADIT] stamp in their passport).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/making-application.html