+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wrong spelling of Name?????

Rahimi

Star Member
Jan 24, 2008
Dear all,

Please let me know is there any problem. I have made a mistake in application form.

for example: My father's name in the application form its different spelling name.
in my Passport its different spelling name.

Do you think CHC, Local canadian visa office will delay or get action on spelling of name or not.

Best
Rahimi

LCS

May 5, 2005
I would contact them and let them know. This way at least they know you are trying to correct a misspelling. If you leave it and it comes up, they may try to say your information is not what other documents are and accuse you of not knowing your own family information making a problem in your case. Or if they see the difference it could delay things while they sit on it and finally contact you to confirm the error.
Better to show you know about it and are trying to make it right.

ash309

Jun 16, 2008
Etobicoke
this happened to me and so many other people i know thanks to the inability for the immigration officers to copy down names properly. I called CIC and was threatened that they will deport me right away as i 'misrepresented' myself and probably entered Canada for illegal reasons. I WAS 15 WHEN I ENTERED FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! Anyways i was scared out of my mind and then finally got the guts to go and meet an immigration officer in Calgary and told them what had happened. I had clear proof that it wasn't my fault and that even the government had my original birth certificate and passport where my name was spelt correctly so I had no intention of misrepresentation or false identity. The woman laughed and literally was cursing at CIC for their stupidity. She corrected my name for me so yah go face to face and meet someone with all the proof of you document submissions with the correct spelling or else your in for hell.

LCS

May 5, 2005
My husband's name was actually spelled differently on a letter I received from them confirming my sponsorship acceptance. I know all our paperwork and applications were correct so that particular misspelling is their problem. I haven't seen anything else from them so I am assuming/hoping that because all the application information, police checks, medical, passport etc. is all correct that they'll get it right for his PR visa when that eventually is ready. I WILL get him to confirm everything before he accepts it though.

Rahimi

Star Member
Jan 24, 2008
Thank you boths,

actually as i mentioned that i don't have any problems in my name spelling its only problem with my father's name (Only spelling) thats all.

Do you think local canadian office delay my case if only problem with the spelling name of my father. as i asked from many people they are saying no its ok.

what do you think guys/ladies.

Best
R

ash309

Jun 16, 2008
Etobicoke
Well yes my surname is different from my father's but that didn't make a difference in the case but could become a hassle in the future if not fixed on time - don't listen to any normal person and not even lawyers go to the immigration office and correct them on the spelling to avoid any questions being thrown at you about false identity, etc...

tanzeel99

Oct 17, 2017
My surname spelling is bit different in educational docs and birth certificate than in my passport. Ahmed & Ahmad (e/a) . What do you suggest should I inform CIC when they ask Name change question in ITA ?