+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wrong Primary Occupation NOC

CtrlZ

Jul 15, 2021
Hi everyone,

After receiving GCMS notes, eligibility is marked as "Review Required" and in the agent's observations they say that the primary occupation NOC (2173) doesn't match the work experience NOCs (2174 and 2175).

My husband, primary applicant, thinks that he provided primary occupation NOC as 2173 when he created the Express Entry profile (because NOC job title was the closest to his job title) then when we were invited to apply, he realised that NOC 2174 made more sense based on his job duties / description so he changed it in his work experience and put 2174 everywhere - the one with 2175 is irrelevant at this point.

Does this mean there is a chance that our eligibility won't be approved? Should we send a webform explaining this mistake and hope for the best? (both NOC 2173 and 2174 qualify for FSW)

Another observation in our eligibility assessment says that they need to confirm "family relationship" with my sibling (who is a PR in Canada). Is this standard? Maybe this why our eligibility is marked "Review Required" and NOCs have nothing to do with it...

@legalfalcon If you could please provide any advice, I would be grateful.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone,

After receiving GCMS notes, eligibility is marked as "Review Required" and in the agent's observations they say that the primary occupation NOC (2173) doesn't match the work experience NOCs (2174 and 2175).

My husband, primary applicant, thinks that he provided primary occupation NOC as 2173 when he created the Express Entry profile (because NOC job title was the closest to his job title) then when we were invited to apply, he realised that NOC 2174 made more sense based on his job duties / description so he changed it in his work experience and put 2174 everywhere - the one with 2175 is irrelevant at this point.

Does this mean there is a chance that our eligibility won't be approved? Should we send a webform explaining this mistake and hope for the best? (both NOC 2173 and 2174 qualify for FSW)

Another observation in our eligibility assessment says that they need to confirm "family relationship" with my sibling (who is a PR in Canada). Is this standard? Maybe this why our eligibility is marked "Review Required" and NOCs have nothing to do with it...

@legalfalcon If you could please provide any advice, I would be grateful.
You don’t match a job title. You match job responsibilities to the NOC so they believe that the work experience doesn’t match the NOC. You are mentioning 3 different NOCs. What NOC matches his responsibilities (title is irrelevant).

Are you included as accompanying in the application? Does does your sibling live in Canada? Because your husband is not a blood relative then they will have to review if there is a genuine relationship. So a review is required.

CtrlZ

Jul 15, 2021
You don’t match a job title. You match job responsibilities to the NOC so they believe that the work experience doesn’t match the NOC. You are mentioning 3 different NOCs. What NOC matches his responsibilities (title is irrelevant).

Are you included as accompanying in the application? Does does your sibling live in Canada? Because your husband is not a blood relative then they will have to review if there is a genuine relationship. So a review is required.
Well, that's the thing, they didn't state that the experience doesn't match the NOC, just that the applicant declared a different NOC for work experience than the primary one (there is some overlap between 2173 and 2174, that why husband was confused about which one to choose in the first place, but decided that 2174 is the closest one based on responsibilities).

And yes, I am included as accompanying in the application and have a sibling who lives in Canada (we claimed points out of it). We provided them with our birth certificates (mine and my sibling's) and my sibling's PR card, so I'm not sure what confirming "family relationship" means.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Well, that's the thing, they didn't state that the experience doesn't match the NOC, just that the applicant declared a different NOC for work experience than the primary one (there is some overlap between 2173 and 2174, that why husband was confused about which one to choose in the first place, but decided that 2174 is the closest one based on responsibilities).

And yes, I am included as accompanying in the application and have a sibling who lives in Canada (we claimed points out of it). We provided them with our birth certificates (mine and my sibling's) and my sibling's PR card, so I'm not sure what confirming "family relationship" means.
Does your husband have at least one year of continuous work experience in NOC 2173 which he declared as his primary? I think that's pretty problematic if he doesn't.

For family relationship, I assume both the birth certificates show your parents' names? Did you provide any evidence the sibling is actually living in Canada?

CtrlZ

Jul 15, 2021
Does your husband have at least one year of continuous work experience in NOC 2173 which he declared as his primary? I think that's pretty problematic if he doesn't.

For family relationship, I assume both the birth certificates show your parents' names? Did you provide any evidence the sibling is actually living in Canada?
We ended up submitting a webform explaining the situation, they're free to either take into account that this was an honest mistake because of the overlap between NOCs 2173 and 2174 (internet is full of people wondering which one to pick o_O) or just reject us after 14 months of waiting...

For family relationship, yes, both birth certificates show our parents names. I also provided my sibling's proof of address in Canada and a copy of their PR card (as required). Our application is being processed by the Paris VO and I'm wondering if they need to send it to a Canadian VO to verify that the PR card is valid or something like that.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We ended up submitting a webform explaining the situation, they're free to either take into account that this was an honest mistake because of the overlap between NOCs 2173 and 2174 (internet is full of people wondering which one to pick o_O) or just reject us after 14 months of waiting...

For family relationship, yes, both birth certificates show our parents names. I also provided my sibling's proof of address in Canada and a copy of their PR card (as required). Our application is being processed by the Paris VO and I'm wondering if they need to send it to a Canadian VO to verify that the PR card is valid or something like that.
I'm not sure they are going to switch your primary NOC. I've not heard of a situation where IRCC was willing to do this. But at this point there is no harm trying and maybe you'll get lucky. I think you're definitely at risk of rejection.

No - the Paris VO does not need to send anything to the Canadian VO. The validity of the PR card is not the issue. You need to prove your sibling is actually living in Canada. Proof of address doesn't prove someone is living in Canada. Anyone can have an address in Canada but not actually be living there. Strong proof would be things like proof of employment that shows your sibling is actively living in Canada.

CtrlZ

Jul 15, 2021
I'm not sure they are going to switch your primary NOC. I've not heard of a situation where IRCC was willing to do this. But at this point there is no harm trying and maybe you'll get lucky. I think you're definitely at risk of rejection.

No - the Paris VO does not need to send anything to the Canadian VO. The validity of the PR card is not the issue. You need to prove your sibling is actually living in Canada. Proof of address doesn't prove someone is living in Canada. Anyone can have an address in Canada but not actually be living there. Strong proof would be things like proof of employment that shows your sibling is actively living in Canada.
Well, I guess if they want additional documents for my sibling, they will have to ask for them :)
I provided proof of address and PR card as they requested when we applied, I can't make up new documents if they don't ask for them.

As for NOC, only time will tell.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Well, I guess if they want additional documents for my sibling, they will have to ask for them :)
I provided proof of address and PR card as they requested when we applied, I can't make up new documents if they don't ask for them.

As for NOC, only time will tell.
Yes, there's no need for you to do anything regarding your sibling. Also, it sounds like it would be easy for you to provide more evidence.

The NOC problem is your main issue. That's what's going to make or break your application.

Reactions: CtrlZ