+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wrong passport number in visa and student permit

hbdivers2

Jan 29, 2013
Hello everybody,

I have discovered recently that my student visa and study permit do not bear the right passport number.
An error slipped at the visa/permit issue time.

Does anybody know how I can go about getting this corrected ?
Also, I would like to have a telephone number where I can call the immigration service for more info or emergency ?

Thank you very much

ValientNine

Jan 28, 2013
Yea in order to help your going to have to give a bit more information.

1) Which country are you in now ?

2) Where did you apply for the visa from?

3) Did you make the mistake by filling in the wrong passport number?

Once you send in this info, then maybe we can help.

hbdivers2

Jan 29, 2013
Hello,

I am sorry, I forgot to provide full info about me in the previous email.

1-I am currently in Toronto.
2-I applied for my visa student from Morocco (I am moroccan)
3-I provided the wrong passport number. I have looked back in the application form I submitted back in Morocco, and it was my fault.

More info,
I intend to go back to Morocco in 3 weeks (I don't know if I will have gotten it corrected before my travel).
My visa expires on december 31st, 2013.

Thank you for your response

ValientNine

Jan 28, 2013
Go to CIC and have them change the passport number. Im surprised they actually let you in. Is the number you provided on your visa document your previous passport number? Talk to them and let them know the situation. Just so you know, they will start to ask you a million and one questions though, and its better you get it corrected from within Canada because if you go out they might not let you back in.

Make sure you take a letter claiming your issue, and make sure its properly written and explained.

hbdivers2

Jan 29, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

You have recommended I should go to CIC.
Do you mean their web site or is there an office in Toronto ?
In any case, could you also give me more details (web address, postal address) ?

On CIC web site, I was unable to find neither a phone number to call nor an office postal address for steps to follow to fix my problem.

Thank you very much for your help

ValientNine

Jan 28, 2013
Call CIC on 1-888-242-2100

You can find offices from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/help.asp#on

Make sure you CALL first. Talk to them about everything and they will tell you what to do

hbdivers2

Jan 29, 2013
Hello ValientNine,

I called the number 1 888 242 2100,
and it presents a recorded service which does not include an option for problems or to get an appointment. (You can see below the options presented by the answering machine along with my selections.)
I guess I should go to an office and explain them that the answering machine does not present an option for my case.

Thank you for having helped me

For info, here are the options offered, and the numbers I selected when calling 1 888 242 2100:
1-For information on immigration or Canadian citizenship
2-For status of an application
3-To report a change of address
4-For a birth certificate, border services and Canadian passport
5-Report a fraud on immigration
6-Options of victims of abuse

I selected 1. The menu was then :
1-Information to visit Canada or sponsorship
2-For permanent resident card
3-For Canadian citizenship

I selected 1. The menu was then :
1-Information on immigration or to sponsor a family member
2-Information for visiting, studying and working
3-Information on assylum system and refugees
4-Information on the living care-giver program
5-To apply for an immigration document

I selected 2. The menu was then :
1-To change condition or renew study permit
2-For visitors who want to study in Canada
3-For students who want to work
4-For worker who want to study

I selected 1.
The recording message gives information on how to apply for extension and what to do in case of the expiration of the study permit.

Regards

Reactions: EunpaKim

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

hbdivers2 said:
Hello everybody,

I have discovered recently that my student visa and study permit do not bear the right passport number.

Also, I would like to have a telephone number where I can call the immigration service for more info or emergency ?

Thank you very much

1. Ask yourself? Who is responsible for this error? You or CHC? If your answer is CHC, then no need to worry. They are not going to piss you off for their fault. It will get rectified next time you apply for renewal.

RonXenner

Jan 31, 2013
enfield said:
Hi,

1. Ask yourself? Who is responsible for this error? You or CHC? If your answer is CHC, then no need to worry. They are not going to piss you off for their fault. It will get rectified next time you apply for renewal.
enfield,

the issue is :
I intend to go back to Morocco in 3 weeks (I don't know if I will have gotten it corrected before my travel).
My visa expires on december 31st, 2013.

And you know how CBSA is.. If he goes and comes back with the wrong number... KAPISSSH!!!! You never know.. right :D

hbdivers2

Jan 29, 2013
Hello everybody,

1-
For record, I am explaining what I did to correct my student permit.

-Download and complete the form IMM1436E.pdf found on CIC web under english/information/applications/amend.asp
-Gather other requested documents as explained in the guide found on CIC web under english/information/applications/guides/5218ETOC.asp
-Send all the documents to the following address :
Amendment to the Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Temporary Resident Document
Query Response Centre (QRC)
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1

My new study permit landed in my mail box about 5 weeks after sending the request.

2-In my first trials to get in touch with CIC agents, I was selecting the wrong when calling 1 888 242 2100 (see reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 11:16:57 am).
Once offered the following options

I should have selected 2, since I already have a visa and so the CIC system already has my information.

Thank you all for your help

shabkhosh

May 3, 2013
Hi, Thank you for sharing your experience with us,
I walked through those links but I found that there is no way to amend "passport number"... could you please tell me what was your exact case? and If you or any one could recommend me any way to correct the wrong passport number in my study permit.
Thank you so much

hbdivers2 said:
Hello everybody,

1-
For record, I am explaining what I did to correct my student permit.

-Download and complete the form IMM1436E.pdf found on CIC web under english/information/applications/amend.asp
-Gather other requested documents as explained in the guide found on CIC web under english/information/applications/guides/5218ETOC.asp
-Send all the documents to the following address :
Amendment to the Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Temporary Resident Document
Query Response Centre (QRC)
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1

My new study permit landed in my mail box about 5 weeks after sending the request.

2-In my first trials to get in touch with CIC agents, I was selecting the wrong when calling 1 888 242 2100 (see reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 11:16:57 am).
Once offered the following options

I should have selected 2, since I already have a visa and so the CIC system already has my information.

Thank you all for your help

jyoti09

Jan 7, 2018
H
Hi, Thank you for sharing your experience with us,
I walked through those links but I found that there is no way to amend "passport number"... could you please tell me what was your exact case? and If you or any one could recommend me any way to correct the wrong passport number in my study permit.
Thank you so much[/QUOT
Hey how did you solve this problem Same issue here in my visitor visa

May 29, 2022
Hello everybody,

I have discovered recently that my work visa do not bear the right passport number.

Thank you very much