+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wrong NOC for IEC Young Professionals, now applying for CEC EE

flxlwt

Feb 21, 2020
Hi there,

I have been working for the same company here in Canada since Nov 2018. First on a IEC WH visa and now on a IEC YP visa. Unfortunately, I noticed that the NOC2173 used in my IEC YP Visa does not reflect the actual duties that I am fulfilling (it's NOC2174). The listed duties didn't even match with the ones listed for my YP visa but it was still accepted apparently. They are both NOC A though and in a somewhat related field.

I am about to apply for CEC EE and this is the only work experience I have. I will need to specify NOC2174 as my primary occupation since that's what I am actually doing.

1. Question: Is it sufficient to add a LoE explaining the situation? I will probably also be able to include a statement from my company that will explain the situation from their side ("We choose this NOC wrongly because of the job title and it's actually NOC2174"). However, does that actually cause issues with my current work permit since it's technically not the correct NOC atm?

2. Also just to verify: Since I am on a closed LMIA exempt work permit which is the IEC YP visa, I can claim 50 points with a job offer from my company that is valid for at least a year after the PR has been issued, correct?

Best regards and many thanks in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

I have been working for the same company here in Canada since Nov 2018. First on a IEC WH visa and now on a IEC YP visa. Unfortunately, I noticed that the NOC2173 used in my IEC YP Visa does not reflect the actual duties that I am fulfilling (it's NOC2174). The listed duties didn't even match with the ones listed for my YP visa but it was still accepted apparently. They are both NOC A though and in a somewhat related field.

I am about to apply for CEC EE and this is the only work experience I have. I will need to specify NOC2174 as my primary occupation since that's what I am actually doing.

1. Question: Is it sufficient to add a LoE explaining the situation? I will probably also be able to include a statement from my company that will explain the situation from their side ("We choose this NOC wrongly because of the job title and it's actually NOC2174"). However, does that actually cause issues with my current work permit since it's technically not the correct NOC atm?

2. Also just to verify: Since I am on a closed LMIA exempt work permit which is the IEC YP visa, I can claim 50 points with a job offer from my company that is valid for at least a year after the PR has been issued, correct?

Best regards and many thanks in advance!
1. This is a bit messy. I don't usually think lawyer assistance is necessary however this is one of those cases where I would recommend getting a consult with an experienced immigration lawyer.
2. IMO you will not be able to claim the points since your work permit is under a different NOC than you are actually working. To claim the points you would need an approved LMIA. But again, I would speak with a lawyer.

flxlwt

Feb 21, 2020
1. This is a bit messy. I don't usually think lawyer assistance is necessary however this is one of those cases where I would recommend getting a consult with an experienced immigration lawyer.
2. IMO you will not be able to claim the points since your work permit is under a different NOC than you are actually working. To claim the points you would need an approved LMIA. But again, I would speak with a lawyer.
Hi scylla,

thank you very much for your reply! Indeed, that sounds like a good idea. Let's hope they can clear things up..

flxlwt

Feb 21, 2020
Hi there, just as a follow up for anyone else having a similar issue:
My company called IRCC and they said it's fine since my NOCs are really similar/almost the same and same skill level. I only have to attach an explanation from work in my LoE.