+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wrong name on CoPR

Endlescc

Star Member
Jul 4, 2013
So i got CoPR last week and went landed at emerson border.

everything went smooth and ecas changed to completed.

went to service canada and the agent told me CIC made a mistake on my name, both my last name and first name are under family name.... ugh....

my given name was left blank...

anyone have similar situation......

joshy008

Star Member
Apr 25, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
SEPTEMBER 5 2013
Nomination.....
july 10
AOR Received.
OCTOBER 9
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
0CTOBER 9
Med's Done....
OCTOBER 29
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
NOVEMBER 4 2014
VISA ISSUED...
nov 21 2014
LANDED..........
DECEMBER 11 2014
There is a form called request to amend the copr..i think that will help to change errors

kelbc

Star Member
Nov 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
11xx
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
PNP:22-Oct-2013/CIO:11-Apr-2014
Nomination.....
10-Jan-2014
AOR Received.
09-May-2014
Med's Request
09-May-2014
Med's Done....
22-May-2014/Recv'd:30-May-2014
Passport Req..
26-Jan-2015 / DM: 27-Jan-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Feb-2015 (PP back 13-Feb-2015)
LANDED..........
14-Feb-2015
Endlescc said:
ugh but i a already landed....
try this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/amend.asp

If that doesnt work i suggest you get your pr card and then do a correction and get your pr card reissued.. Call cic call center to confirm

Endlescc

Star Member
Jul 4, 2013
Ok so finally talked to a CIC Agent.

He said there is nothing wrong with CoPR.

What happened is on my Malaysian passport, all it said is "Name" and my name is Chan Tax Tax, where Tax Tax is my first name and Chan is my last name.

On the CoPR there is Family name and Given names, CIC said since my name on my passport does not classified Last and First name, it all goes to Family Name and CoPR and Maple card will show exactly the same as Passport, there is nothing to be corrected.

So I guess for those who from country that does not mention last/first name on your passport, you are stuck with Family name only when it come to CoPR lol....

Indian applicant

Jun 29, 2014
Endlescc said:
Ok so finally talked to a CIC Agent.

He said there is nothing wrong with CoPR.

What happened is on my Malaysian passport, all it said is "Name" and my name is Chan Tax Tax, where Tax Tax is my first name and Chan is my last name.

On the CoPR there is Family name and Given names, CIC said since my name on my passport does not classified Last and First name, it all goes to Family Name and CoPR and Maple card will show exactly the same as Passport, there is nothing to be corrected.

So I guess for those who from country that does not mention last/first name on your passport, you are stuck with Family name only when it come to CoPR lol....
Hi Chan TaxTax (Endlescc) thank you for the original post and the final resolution too. I would certainly fall in that category too. You get +1 from me. Cheers

dannyhcang

Feb 2, 2016
;) ;D mr chan! i feel for you... but then again I have done legal name changed prior to CoPR.
shouldnt cic honour the legal name changed i have done (believe me, i was kicking myself for changing my own name to suit their backward thinking system!)

shrinivaskk

Star Member
Dec 17, 2015
So i got CoPR last week and went landed at emerson border.

everything went smooth and ecas changed to completed.

went to service canada and the agent told me CIC made a mistake on my name, both my last name and first name are under family name.... ugh....

my given name was left blank...

anyone have similar situation......

Hi,
We have faced the same situation today.
On the COPR for my daughter who has the Malaysian passport, both first name and last name are mentioned under 'Last Name' section.
And when we went to get her health card done, technically she doesn't has the first name at all in the records.
The reason given to us was that they have followed the details on passport. Now as you mentioned, malaysian passport doesn't has any seperation between first and last name.

This has become tough for us now as she doesn't has any first name in the govt records at all.

Can you share on how you went to get this information corrected ?

Thanks

ashuindian

VIP Member
Jan 5, 2016
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
4Jan16
Nomination.....
01Jun16
AOR Received.
17Jan17
File Transfer...
09 Feb17
Med's Request
08 Jun17
Med's Done....
13 Jun17
Passport Req..
05-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2018
LANDED..........
15-05-2018
GST = Goods and Services Tax
Where GS is first name and Tax is surname.

Last edited:

Farhan51214

Jan 11, 2019
Yesterday i submitted online visit visa application, after landed i realized and reviewed where mistakenly i wrote my full name in family name portion. What should i do now..?