IELTS Request
Submitted with application
Med's Request
29-01-2015
Med's Done....
31-01-2015
LANDED..........
In-land applicant
After waiting an excruciating 5 mths I finally got my work permit to see that the employer name is wrong. Now I can't apply for a trv which I need urgently to travel. Does anyone know the process of making the change and how long that takes? Thanks y'all!

Kiwisteph

Star Member
Sep 28, 2013
Are you sure its the wrong employer name and that company isnt registered as another name but trading as the one you know ?
Just a thought as happens a lot here in NZ
Might be Smith Company Ltd trading as BP Fuel. Confuses me when I get my bank statements and a random name comes up from eftpos and not the name I was expecting

joyous

Star Member
Sep 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-08-2014
AOR Received.
15-01-2015
IELTS Request
Med's Request
29-01-2015
Med's Done....
31-01-2015
LANDED..........
In-land applicant
Unfortunately not... they got it totally wrong.... :'(

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
A friend's closed work permit was issued with the wrong CITY mentioned (Toronto instead of Gatineau) with the CBSA agent insisting that he is issuing permit valid all over Canada.

It took a month and an application for amendment in work permit costing 1500 CAD to get a new work permit for the applicant.

Apparently CIC does not consider themselves doing a mistake so it is always treated as a mistake on part of applicant.

joyous

Star Member
Sep 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-08-2014
AOR Received.
15-01-2015
IELTS Request
Med's Request
29-01-2015
Med's Done....
31-01-2015
LANDED..........
In-land applicant
What was the $1500 cost for???!!!

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
joyous said:
What was the $1500 cost for???!!!
Like i said before, 1500 was fee for amendment in work permit. Their assumption is mistake is on client's part. So there is no procedure to prove that CIC made a mistake and they have to fix it without fee.

PeachCEC

Jul 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2014
AOR Received.
09-12-2014
Med's Request
Jan 20, 2016
Med's Done....
Jan 30, 2016
Passport Req..
Feb 28, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 1, 2016
LANDED..........
April 5, 2016
fkl said:
Like i said before, 1500 was fee for amendment in work permit. Their assumption is mistake is on client's part. So there is no procedure to prove that CIC made a mistake and they have to fix it without fee.
Hi FKL,

Could you provide a bit more information regarding this? I just applied for a spousal OWP and the location is stated as Burnaby (my residential city). Now my employer is questioning if I can work in Vancouver... I am thinking of amending it without fee

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
PeachCEC said:
Hi FKL,

Could you provide a bit more information regarding this? I just applied for a spousal OWP and the location is stated as Burnaby (my residential city). Now my employer is questioning if I can work in Vancouver... I am thinking of amending it without fee
Hi PeachCEC,

I don't think you even need any further details. Though i am surprised that an open work permit states the city. I just reverified that of my spouse and it says UNKNOWN in employer location.

Even then i dont think it matters. Here is why

The case i referred above was that of principal applicant who was hired on an LMIA based work permit. He couldnt work for any one else. Even his city was specified with employer's office (since employer had offices in multiple cities).

The mistake in his work permit was significant because it stated a different province i.e. he landed in Ontario and job was in Quebec. The company lawyer stated some thing along the lines, it won't have been a problem even if it was the same province. But it is because the province is different.

So that case is much restrictive than yours a) it wasn't an open work permit b) province was different in mistake. You have neither so i believe you should be good to go.

An open work permit means you could work any where in Canada unless it is specified otherwise.

Hope that helps

PeachCEC

Jul 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2014
AOR Received.
09-12-2014
Med's Request
Jan 20, 2016
Med's Done....
Jan 30, 2016
Passport Req..
Feb 28, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 1, 2016
LANDED..........
April 5, 2016
fkl said:
Hi PeachCEC,

I don't think you even need any further details. Though i am surprised that an open work permit states the city. I just reverified that of my spouse and it says UNKNOWN in employer location.

Even then i dont think it matters. Here is why

The case i referred above was that of principal applicant who was hired on an LMIA based work permit. He couldnt work for any one else. Even his city was specified with employer's office (since employer had offices in multiple cities).

The mistake in his work permit was significant because it stated a different province i.e. he landed in Ontario and job was in Quebec. The company lawyer stated some thing along the lines, it won't have been a problem even if it was the same province. But it is because the province is different.

So that case is much restrictive than yours a) it wasn't an open work permit b) province was different in mistake. You have neither so i believe you should be good to go.

An open work permit means you could work any where in Canada unless it is specified otherwise.

Hope that helps
Thank you very much. Yes, my HR just clarify with the legal department and they said I am good to go. The location means nothing.