+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wrong character on my last name!

ajald

Jan 24, 2019
Hello everyone.
I hope there is someone to help me out cause I am unable to find any information online. I received my ITA yesterday and while going through it I got worried about my last name. My last name starts with a Ç and that is shown on my passport but given the fact that my whole life when abroad I have written it with C since Ç is usually a not recognized character. So when I applied for EE I wrote my last name with a C thinking that Ç would not be accepted. But now I realize that Ç is valid in French and it seems like it is for Canada also since French is an official language. Will this be a problem and should I consider declining my invitation.

Thank you all in advance for your responses.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
It shouldn’t be a problem. Unless you are prepared to have C in all your Canadian IDs.

I don’t remember if you are able to edit your last name after ITA. I think not, but you can try exploring your MyCIC account.

Here’s an idea: go ahead and apply with your ITA and include a brief letter of explanation to request the officer to edit your last name to the Ç in your application for your subsequent Canadian identification. It’s worth a shot. My experience with IRCC is if you ask nicely for something reasonable, they’ll comply.

Reactions: EstherBarros

ajald

Jan 24, 2019
Thank you for your reply. No I don’t care if it will show C instead of Ç on my Canadian ID. As a matter of fact it would make things easier for me. All I am worried about is the fact that the officer might consider this as misinterpretation on my end and declaring false statements. No I am not able to change it anymore. I am trying to contact them via webform but I do not know if they will see it fit to reply to me since the webform os mostly used for changes after you have applied for PR. I really don’t know what to do and of course I really do not want to decline ITA only for this.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thank you for your reply. No I don’t care if it will show C instead of Ç on my Canadian ID. As a matter of fact it would make things easier for me. All I am worried about is the fact that the officer might consider this as misinterpretation on my end and declaring false statements. No I am not able to change it anymore. I am trying to contact them via webform but I do not know if they will see it fit to reply to me since the webform os mostly used for changes after you have applied for PR. I really don’t know what to do and of course I really do not want to decline ITA only for this.
It definitely, absolutely, positively won’t be declined for that kind of reason. (Misrepresentation is a much more serious matter, certainly not concerning diacritical marks.) If you prefer it that way, go ahead and accept the ITA.

It will also help to write the accented version in the alias portion, if only to ease your mind.

Source: I’ve made minor errors in my applications to IRCC, including mixing up my parents’ names. None were ever declined.