+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wrong application date which is an obvious typo

Conaider

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018
Hello everybody,

So I sent my Citizenship application on March 19, 2018 and I made a stupid mistake on the date of the application (where you sign it).

I completed and signed my application on March 17, 2018; I wrote this date consistently through my application and in the physical presence calculator. However, the date I put next to the signature is March 17, 2017.

I know this is the most important date of the application and a mistake there usually can't be corrected. However, this is an obvious typo, especially considering that the form is from October 2017 (which would make it impossible for me to have filled it out in March 2017).

Does anybody have a similar experience or any guess about whether this could cause my application to be rejected? I am getting a bit concerned. Is there a way to contact IRCC to amend this date?

Thank you!

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
You can only contact IRCC regarding an application once you get your AOR, and yours haven't been opened yet. And a correction to an application is only possible if that application hasn't been rejected in the first place...

Your call here, you can wait for them to open the application and see if they'll understand or, more probable, return it to you for a correction.
Or you can go ahead and send another application with an explanation letter saying that you're correcting a mistake in a previous application they need to disregard.
The second solution may easily save you a couple of months.

sebbie

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
From reading other people's experiences, I agree there's a good chance you will get your application returned in a month or two.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello everybody,

So I sent my Citizenship application on March 19, 2018 and I made a stupid mistake on the date of the application (where you sign it).

I completed and signed my application on March 17, 2018; I wrote this date consistently through my application and in the physical presence calculator. However, the date I put next to the signature is March 17, 2017.

I know this is the most important date of the application and a mistake there usually can't be corrected. However, this is an obvious typo, especially considering that the form is from October 2017 (which would make it impossible for me to have filled it out in March 2017).

Does anybody have a similar experience or any guess about whether this could cause my application to be rejected? I am getting a bit concerned. Is there a way to contact IRCC to amend this date?

Thank you!
No matter how obvious it is this is a typo and a different date (2018) was intended, previous reporting indicates this is NOT a date which can be amended or changed to conform to your intent, that a new application will need to be submitted. So it is indeed highly probable this application will be returned, since it is stale, using the wrong form for the date it was "made," and you probably do not meet the requirements as of that date.

As others observe, there is no way to communicate with IRCC about this particular application unless and until there is AOR, which is NOT likely to happen, as the more likely thing to happen is the application is returned.

I believe, and perhaps others can offer some ideas about this, you can make and submit a new application based on the same receipt, and not have to wait for the return of the one already sent off.

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
I had a mistake in list of addresses.

Correct dates:
Sep 2013 to Oct 2017 - address 1

Oct 2012 to Aug 2013 - address 2

What I put in the application:
Sep 2013 to Oct 2017 - address 1

Oct 2012 to Aug 2012 - address 2

Clearly, 2nd entry will cause a gap and date range is incorrect and not plausible.

Despite this error, I got Aor and it's now in process. I contacted ircc through webform and gave them correct dates, which they acknowledged.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I had a mistake in list of addresses.
Apples and dingleberries.

There is a fundamental, substantive, and definitive difference between erroneous information in the application VERSUS entering the wrong date in the signature box.

The completeness check does not involve an assessment, let alone verification, of information submitted. It merely checks to see that necessary information has been provided, and that information (as provided) meets the requirements for PROCESSING the application. Many, many errors will thus pass the completeness check so that the application results in AOR.

Those sorts of mistakes can be and often are addressed later in the process. If they do not have an impact which negates qualification they can be, in effect, disregarded. Or, they can be corrected by the applicant later in the process.

The date in the signature box, however, is the critical date which the whole application is based upon, by definition. This date is not mere information. It is the operative date the application is made. If the applicant makes an error in entering this date, not only does previous reporting indicate there is no way to amend this, that is what makes sense.

scorph

Aug 17, 2017
Abbotsford BC
Apples and dingleberries.

There is a fundamental, substantive, and definitive difference between erroneous information in the application VERSUS entering the wrong date in the signature box.

The completeness check does not involve an assessment, let alone verification, of information submitted. It merely checks to see that necessary information has been provided, and that information (as provided) meets the requirements for PROCESSING the application. Many, many errors will thus pass the completeness check so that the application results in AOR.

Those sorts of mistakes can be and often are addressed later in the process. If they do not have an impact which negates qualification they can be, in effect, disregarded. Or, they can be corrected by the applicant later in the process.

The date in the signature box, however, is the critical date which the whole application is based upon, by definition. This date is not mere information. It is the operative date the application is made. If the applicant makes an error in entering this date, not only does previous reporting indicate there is no way to amend this, that is what makes sense.
Great explanation!
Totally agreed

Conaider

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018
Thank you for your responses, guys! i think I will send another application with the letter explaining what happened and asking to please ignore the previous one.

Just to be clear, if for some miraculously reason I get the AOR for the first (wrong) application, I can withdraw it so that the second one goes through, right? I don't want to risk getting the wrong one to be processed and then rejected.. application fees aren't cheap! =P

harak

Oct 11, 2017
Hello everybody,

Thank you!

I made something similar mistake. Instead of mm/dd/yyy format I did dd/mm/yyyy format. My application was returned after two month, as this makes ,not to meet the physical presence requirements.

Reactions: dpenabill

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Thank you for your responses, guys! i think I will send another application with the letter explaining what happened and asking to please ignore the previous one.

Just to be clear, if for some miraculously reason I get the AOR for the first (wrong) application, I can withdraw it so that the second one goes through, right? I don't want to risk getting the wrong one to be processed and then rejected.. application fees aren't cheap! =P
Check this page. It will answer your question as to how multiple applications are handled.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/procedure-multiple-applications.html

harak

Oct 11, 2017

In my case I got AOR for first application with wrong date format within one month. Then after one more month, instead of going to IP my application was returned . I lost two month of time before I send mt second application.

Conaider

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018
Thanks for the info! This seems to be the process in case I had sent 2 applications paying the fee for each one. In my case, I will resend the application with the same receipt (I only payed the fee once).

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

The following will only be of interest to those tending to closely follow the minutia in application processing, of very little interest for the vast majority of applicants:

I made something similar mistake. Instead of mm/dd/yyy format I did dd/mm/yyyy format. My application was returned after two month, as this makes ,not to meet the physical presence requirements.
In my case I got AOR for first application with wrong date format within one month. Then after one more month, instead of going to IP my application was returned . I lost two month of time before I send mt second application.
These posts illustrate how such details in information can help the forum immensely. Of course a single participant's anecdotal report is NOT sufficient to draw a firm conclusion, but this reporting makes very good sense and likely (even though not for-sure) illuminates some insights into the CPC-Sydney process.

What I take away from these reports is NOT based entirely on these reports BUT rather based on what these reports appear to illuminate in CONTEXT with a lot of other information we know about the procedures in CPC-Sydney.

We have long understood there is a two-step (at least two-step) screening at CPC-Sydney, a completeness check followed by a more substantive screening which, if and when passed, results in IP. These reports (to my view) illuminate some differences in these two-steps with more granularity. (Probably, likely, albeit not for-sure.)

What I take away from these reports:

The main take-away is that AOR is indeed currently MERELY a completeness check, pursuant to which there is minimal or NO cross-checking or assessment of the information substantively. Then the more substantive screening of the application (again, if and when passed this results in IP) includes some cross-checking, including cross-checking the signature dates and other information in the application, and to some extent a preliminary assessment of the presence calculation . . . at least to the extent of cross-checking it against the date the application was signed.

Some observations about the significance of this:

For the vast majority of qualified applicants, this does not mean much at all. The vast majority of qualified applicants will generally want to watch for AOR, to be sure the application has been received and is being processed by IRCC, but beyond that merely watch for any further correspondences or notices from IRCC while they prepare for the test. That is, the vast majority of applicants merely need to WAIT, and then show up and pass the test, show documents and answer a few perfunctory questions in the interview, and show up for the oath. Smooth sailing.

BUT the take-away here is illuminating and of interest for those who follow the process more closely, those who attempt to provide information to prospective and current applicants about the process, and those who have some concerns, such as those who recognize some errors were made in the application, and those who recognize their history, facts, or circumstances otherwise involve some risk of non-routine processing.

The main thing is that this illuminates just how superficial the initial completeness check is and how relatively insignificant AOR is.

But this also illuminates something about the nature and scope of the screening between AOR and IP, and that it includes some substantive cross-checking of the application, at least to some extent. THIS MAY EXPLAIN WHY there can be a significant difference in the timeline between AOR and IP, something of concern identified in the second-level of screening which, in turn, puts the application in queue for further screening or scrutiny prior to referring the application to the local office (I am not sure, but I believe it is this action, making the actual referral to the local office, which is denoted as IP, that is "In Process"). Of course we do not know the actual internal practice. So we do not know, for example, if there is a more or less clerical screening pursuant to a checklist of criteria and if a concern is identified the application is put in queue for more scrutiny and assessment by a supervisor. Or some other bifurcation which promptly results in the referral to the local office for some applications and for others a more thorough review in Sydney prior to taking the referral action (which, as these reports illustrate, can still result in the application being returned despite AOR).

For context, what I take from this reporting is based on the following understanding of what happened:
Applicant H submitted application in which the presence calculator showed days present meeting the presence requirement but made error in the application date (signature box date), the entered application date nonetheless within the ninety-day window before date application was actually received at CPC-Sydney. Applicant received AOR. But application subsequently returned (not denied, but returned), no IP status.​

Distinction between Applicant H and the OP:

It appears there was nothing about the application date in Applicant H's application which would, on its face, would indicate an invalid or stale application. I assume the erroneous date was not a date which rendered the application stale. I assume it was a date consistent with the form of application submitted. It was only when the application date was cross-checked against the presence calculation that it became apparent the applicant failed to meet the presence requirement BASED on the erroneous date entered as the signature date. BUT that erroneous date thus being the date the application is considered made.

OP's signature date, in contrast, was way outside the staleness period, and was a date for which a different application form would be used.

REMINDER:

The date in the application signature box is, by definition, the date the application is made. If there is an error made in entering this date, the erroneous date is, nonetheless, the date the application is made. This cannot be changed. To change the date the application is made requires a new, different application.

As Applicant H's report illustrates, the impact of a typographical error in the signature box date depends on how that affects the application. In some situations the transposing of the day-date and month-date might have no substantive impact other than its inconsistency with the date the presence calculator is signed and calculates presence based on. I wonder whether some inconsistency is allowed, at least to the extent the application will proceed to be processed by a local office. My guess is yes, so long as there is sufficient presence shown to accommodate still meeting the presence requirement based on the date in the signature box. In Applicant H's case, apparently there was not a sufficient buffer of days to still meet the presence requirement based on the date in the signature box.

Last edited:

Conaider

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018
Thanks again everybody for your replies. I have sent the application again (dated properly, complete, with the same receipt). I will update the thread one I have an update in case someone finds it useful.

january76

Sep 5, 2019
Hi, I sent my application , 2 months ago, with an error in the signature box date (I wrote July 9, 2024 instead of July 9, 2019). So far I have no answer and my problem is that I moved from the address I had written in the application. However, I have been able to contact IRCC and they have told me that they cannot find my application, there is not any trace of it.
I have a specific question please: if my application was returned by postal mail, shouldn't there be any information or trace about that in my dossier? I already have an IUC because it is my second application. Thank you very much in advance for your advice