+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Written Authorization (IMM 0006) If You Haven't Applied For Visa (TRV) Yet

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have done the same procedure for my girlfriend. She is in India. We submitted the application along with IMM 0006 form (notarized). She got bio-metrics request letter the very next day of submission. She will go for bio-metrics in the coming week. How long did it take for you to get TRV approval? Have you received the authorization letter yet?
Biometrics in India is currently not an option for her.

aliasgirl

Feb 28, 2021
Just an update. My bf received the authorization letter with his passport once it was stamped and sent back. There was nothing in the portal. His came from the Vienna office. I was expecting it to show up in the portal, however, it would seem if you apply for a TRV and the authorization at the same time, they do decide at the same time and let you know. There is no need to send a separate email. We uploaded the notorized form under Proof of Relationship when applying for the TRV.

Reactions: 3YrsLeftOnPR

rachelD

Nov 20, 2012
Hello, I applied my TRV last Feb 10 without the Notarized IMM006. I only submitted the IMM 006 to IRCC through email yesterday.
Hope to receive a positive feedback.
For others, may I ask how long did you get yours?

aliasgirl

Feb 28, 2021
From what I've read on different posts, it can be anywhere from a day or two to a few weeks to get a reply via email.

sandhu70

Dec 1, 2016
From what I've read on different posts, it can be anywhere from a day or two to a few weeks to get a reply via email.
I also got my Visitor Visa from Vienna office but there was no travel authorisation letter with it. My wife is a student in Canada (Temporary Resident). I applied for travel authorization letter separately but it was rejected for the reason for travel being not non-discetionary. Can you please share what reason did you mention for travel?

3YrsLeftOnPR

Aug 12, 2020
I have done the same procedure for my girlfriend. She is in India. We submitted the application along with IMM 0006 form (notarized). She got bio-metrics request letter the very next day of submission. She will go for bio-metrics in the coming week. How long did it take for you to get TRV approval? Have you received the authorization letter yet?
HI!

Were you able to get the Biometrics appointment? As for my mother's application looks like it is not open yet in India.

3YrsLeftOnPR

Aug 12, 2020
Hello, I applied my TRV last Feb 10 without the Notarized IMM006. I only submitted the IMM 006 to IRCC through email yesterday.
Hope to receive a positive feedback.
For others, may I ask how long did you get yours?
Hi RachelD,

What is the status update on your email submission of the IMM0006 form? My brother (extended family member) received an Information Letter in his profile stating to resubmit the entire application again. Not sure if he has to pay the $185 fee again!

I therefore recommend everyone who are yet to apply for the Visitor Visa for extended family members to get the IMM0006 form notarized and then upload in the application request.

Below is the letter details from CIC;

Good day,

Please be advised you have not submitted all the required information or documents for us to assess your application. Therefore, we are unable to process your request.

If you wish to continue, you need to resubmit your request and include the missing information or document(s):

A complete statutory declaration (IMM0006) attesting to your relationship with the Canadian Citizen, person registered as an Indian under the Indian Act, or permanent resident that is signed by the Canadian citizen, person registered as an Indian or permanent resident. (if applicable)

Thank you!

3YrsLeftOnPR

Aug 12, 2020
Just an update. My bf received the authorization letter with his passport once it was stamped and sent back. There was nothing in the portal. His came from the Vienna office. I was expecting it to show up in the portal, however, it would seem if you apply for a TRV and the authorization at the same time, they do decide at the same time and let you know. There is no need to send a separate email. We uploaded the notorized form under Proof of Relationship when applying for the TRV.
This is the best scenario to submit IMM0006 form along with your visa application, though it is not mandated during the application submissions requirements. Else we have to resubmit again with the form and $185 ( at least looks like in the case of my brother's application of resubmission).

ggwen

Star Member
Aug 18, 2020
Thank you so much fir responding. His trv just got approved friday, but no sign of authorization letter. Sounds like we should just wait and the letter will arrive in the online portal? When i say we applied in tandem, we followed instructions you outlined above, and submitted the notorized form under Proof of Relationship.
hello, I got my trv approved recently and no letter was issued, on my online portal, it shows approved, so I am not sure if the exemption letter will email to us by email or shows on portal.

ggwen

Star Member
Aug 18, 2020
hi so you received your stamped passport and authorization letter together from IRCC? Thanks!

JyothiJakkana

Jun 13, 2019
Hi RachelD,

What is the status update on your email submission of the IMM0006 form? My brother (extended family member) received an Information Letter in his profile stating to resubmit the entire application again. Not sure if he has to pay the $185 fee again!

I therefore recommend everyone who are yet to apply for the Visitor Visa for extended family members to get the IMM0006 form notarized and then upload in the application request.

Below is the letter details from CIC;

Good day,

Please be advised you have not submitted all the required information or documents for us to assess your application. Therefore, we are unable to process your request.

If you wish to continue, you need to resubmit your request and include the missing information or document(s):

A complete statutory declaration (IMM0006) attesting to your relationship with the Canadian Citizen, person registered as an Indian under the Indian Act, or permanent resident that is signed by the Canadian citizen, person registered as an Indian or permanent resident. (if applicable)

Thank you!
Hello !
I am currently a student in Canada and my husband got his SOWP approved and recieved the passport request. I filed this application in August 2020 i got the result on 5 April 2021. We have sent the passport for TRV stamping.

As, we haven't applied for any written authorization earlier, can somebody pls guide me what exactly we have to do next for him to travel to Canada?
I wonder, If i can submit IMM0006 form after getting the notorization done here in Canada? Or my husband has to do it only from my country?

I really appreciate any help with information on how to get the written authorization in my case please.
Thank you!!

vaykres12

Apr 24, 2021
Hello,

We are looking into the process to apply for travel exemption for extended family member (exclusive dating relationship, Canada / Kenya) through IMM 0006. At the same time, we are also working through the Visitor Visa (TRV) application process. We are aware that you would not submit IMM 0006 without having your visa application submitted, but would now also submit these two in tandem, and have a few questions regarding both Written Authorization process and IMM 0006, and hoping for some advice:

1. Regarding Written Authorization, according to this section of the website, it states only:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html#authorization

"If you need a visitor visa but haven’t applied for one yet
Follow the instructions for How to apply for a visitor visa. We’ll assess your reasons for travel and make a decision on your visitor visa and your written authorization at the same time. Remember to submit evidence to show you’re eligible to travel at this time."

However, it is not clear to us under this scenario how to actually request the written authorization. All other scenarios are quite clear on the request process except this one, i.e.:

• If instead you already have a valid visitor visa or have an application in progress, you would follow the instructions for what to do if you've already applied for a visitor visa:

And send your request to this email address: IRCC.COVID-TravelExemptions-Exemptionsdevoyage-COVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca
Including all the requested information, after which they'll contact you within 14 business days.​
  • If instead you have an eTA or need one to travel, you would contact IRCC through their Web Form:

And follow the steps outlined on their How to apply for a new eTA page:​

So in our scenario, we're not sure if it is supposed to be done through email, or through the Web Form, or some other way, such as through the IRCC account when submitting your visitor visa application (though we could find no such place to do this when looking through the IRCC account). Furthermore, if following the link within "If you need a visitor visa but haven’t applied for one yet" for "How to apply for a visitor visa" it mentions:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/visa.html#new

"Step 5: Wait for a decision on your application
You’ll get one of the following:
- an email confirming if your application is approved or refused
- a letter asking for more information, so we can make a decision
This will be sent to your IRCC Secure Account. If your application is approved, we tell you the next steps in the process."

Unless this is specifically referring to the decision of your visa application (possibly), this is different from the other scenarios, which mention (in the case of emailing) "We’ll contact you within 14 business days of getting your complete request", as it's saying it will be sent to your IRCC Secure Account. Steps 2 and 3 further up are talking about IMM 0006, and because the two processes are now intertwined, it is confusing.

Though unsure, we suspect the answer is that you would submit the visa application as normal through IRCC Secure Account, then either:
  • Use the email method and reference your application etc., as you would then technically fall under the "If you have a valid visitor visa or an application in progress" scenario.
  • Use the Web Form method but instead of selecting the eTA option, select "Temporary Residence (applied online) - Visa"

2. On the website page for IMM 0006, How to apply for a visitor visa:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/visa.html#new

Step 2 is also confusing, and would like to clarify since it seems to be quite specific in what it wants:

Step 2: Fill out the form
When answering the question on the application form about the purpose of travel, enter the following information exactly as written to make sure your application is prioritized:
- For question 1 a) purpose of travel, choose “other” from the drop-down menu.
- For question 1 b) description field, write “COVID-19” exactly like this (you must use capital letters).

On IMM 0006, under Section 2 - Personal Information (Foreign National / Extended Family Member), at the bottom there is a field for "Purpose of travel". Is this where you're supposed to put "COVID-19"? Because there is no drop-down for "Other" here.

If it is instead referring to IMM 5257 Application For Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa), under the section Details Of Visit To Canada, there is Question 1 "a) Purpose of my visit" (not quite "purpose of travel", but close), where you can select "Other", as well as "b) Other" for a description field where "COVID-19" could go.

Or does "COVID-19" go on both forms?

3. This one is minor, but also on IMM 0006, under Section 2 - Personal Information (Foreign National / Extended Family Member), at the bottom there is another field "Telephone number". But since this is in the "Address While In Canada" section, does it want the current number of the Foreign National, or the number related to the Address While In Canada?

To us the intent of this reads as "where will you be and how can we contact you while in Canada", but since many people would change their SIM when visiting another country, their number would change, so we're thinking it's actually asking for the number related to the Address While in Canada. Although that could still be the Foreign National's number depending, I guess the question is more about the intent of the field, as we're inclined to just put the same number as the Canadian Citizen's number (mine), as the addresses are the same in our scenario.

Appreciate any thoughts, or feedback from those who have already gone through this.
Thanks!
I think I’m having a panic attack. I already have my Stat Dec notarized and in the “purpose of travel” I only put “other”. What was your answer for this one?

aliasgirl

Feb 28, 2021
I think I’m having a panic attack. I already have my Stat Dec notarized and in the “purpose of travel” I only put “other”. What was your answer for this one?
If you are talkinth about the notorized form: i put simply: to reunite with my boyfriend. I think they want you to put other then COVID19 in the application for purpose for travel. For the form, they didn't specify. It may be ok, but most people put something along the lines of to reunite with so and so. It doesn't give much space.

Reactions: vaykres12