+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Writing a Novel ...

Jkilpack

Sep 25, 2017
**I realize there are real people will real situations, please do not feel obligated to take the time to answer these questions. If, however, you have the time/interest. I would appreciate the help very much.

I am an American Novelist writing a contemporary Women's Fiction novel that involves an issue of Canandian immigration. I am struggling to find consistent information that would allow me to make sure I get it right. Here is my scenario:

American man goes to Ontario on a study abroad program--Student Visa?--meets a gal and she gets pregnant. They are together when the baby is born, so his name is on the birth certificate. But they don't stay together and mom ends up being a nightmare. She dictates when he can see the baby, disappears for weeks on end, etc. Then mom dies.

Here are my questions?

What kind of visa would he have to transition to once he decides to stay beyond his student visa. Can he work?

Would baby have duel citizenship?

When Mom dies, would he then be able to leave the country? Is there a process he would need to go through?

Can he revoke the Canadian citizenship of the child after he's in the States?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If he completes his education and provided he attends a qualifying school - he will qualify for an open work permit (length depending on the duration of his studies). The open work permit will allow him to remain in Canada and work for the duration of the work permit.

Yes - baby would be a dual citizen.

I assume you're asking if he could remove the child from Canada and the legal processes required to remove the child. This is a family law question rather than an immigration question.

No - he cannot revoked the child's citizenship. Only the child can do this once the child is an adult and can make an informed decision about giving up citizenship.

Reactions: Jkilpack