+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Writ of mandamus: Do you know a good lawyer?

walitys

Star Member
May 19, 2013
Hi all,
I am waiting for 31 months (s. timeframe below).
I am going to shop around for a lawyer now.

Do you know good lawyers, who are experienced with writ of mandamus?

My Timeline:
App recieved by CIC - November 12, 2010 --- Processing started - June 16, 2011 --- Transferred to St Clair - August 3, 2011 --- Test - September 15, 2011 --- RQ received by CIC - Februar 10, 2012 --- Waiting...

jellyace

Apr 28, 2013
ii understand that its been a very long wait and can be frustrating but y hire a lawyer? it is very expensive and just imagine the process, fees , time and stress will cost u. have u tried contacting ur MP? try it first and its for free and ur right. Ive know a lot of ppl , my friends and from here in this website who called and email their MPs and they got the answer . i suggest give it a try.

jellyace

Apr 28, 2013
I read again ur timeline, actually my friends too, does it occur to u that maybe or any chance u failed the test? u said in ur timeline u took the test september 2011 and its very impossible that u'll not hear anything from them if u passed the test, i mean the oath letter. the cic staff told us that if u failed the test u will have to wait for 12 to 24 months for a schedule to judge interview. i suggest call ur mp, u will hear the answer asap.

walitys

Star Member
May 19, 2013
Dear jellyace,
thank you for your ideas and your concern. We are a family of three, and we all have no news. The test was very easy, I can not imagine, we failed. I also ordered my file (ATIP) a week ago. Yes, I will contact my MP, although I have read here, that some of MPs are becoming less responsive to this type of requests. Do you think, MP can trigger CIC activity?

jellyace

Apr 28, 2013
hi! i have a friend who took the test like 4 months ago and yet no news if she failed or not, she called her mp and right away she learned that she is sched to meet a judge for interview or something and it only mean one thing she failed the test tho no confirmation frm the mps office bec they wont tell u if u passed or failedl. and they will advise u to wait for the letter. i hope everything will be ok to u and ur family, try calling ur mp.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
I don't think there's a point in hiring a lawyer just yet - the standard time typically quoted by CIC for processing an RQ has been 35-48 months, so I think you'll end up waiting anyway. Lawyer or no lawyer.

walitys

Star Member
May 19, 2013
Swede said:
I don't think there's a point in hiring a lawyer just yet - the standard time typically quoted by CIC for processing an RQ has been 35-48 months, so I think you'll end up waiting anyway. Lawyer or no lawyer.
Do you think "the time quoted by CIC" is a Law? Or is what CIC does a breach of Law?
It feels like violation of multiple rights... (But I am biased.)

What are the grounds for judges' decisions in cases of "buerocratic underperformance"? 31 months in my case...

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
walitys said:
Do you think "the time quoted by CIC" is a Law? Or is what CIC does a breach of Law?

What are the grounds for judges' decisions in cases of "buerocratic underperformance"? 31 months in my case...
Not having any legal expertise per se, I still don't think that you'd have a case unless your application has taken more time than the average. If it turns out that the average RQ takes 36-48 months to process (the problem here is the lack of a baseline since RQs haven't been around for that long - what happens when there's nothing to compare with?) I don't think a judge would agree that you have been mistreated after 12, or even 24, months of processing.

That being said, good luck!

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
walitys said:
Hi all,

My Timeline:
App recieved by CIC - November 12, 2010 --- Processing started - June 16, 2011 --- Transferred to St Clair - August 3, 2011 --- Test - September 15, 2011 --- RQ received by CIC - Februar 10, 2012 --- Waiting...
maybe you can give the test again under new changes:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06/02/new-rules-will-allow-free-do-over-for-applicants-who-fail-canadian-citizenship-test/

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
walitys said:

31 months...i see (mine almost 36 months), if you have money..go ahead. But no gurantee you will get citizenship though. Claiming CIC ""buerocratic underperformance".....gluck with that.

walitys

Star Member
May 19, 2013
I called CIC today. This time an agent told me, we all passed the test (new element, they did not tell you that before), the "next step is probably the Oath". I do not trust those empty words though: they were not telling truth so many times.
35 months was cited as a kind of a "standard processing time".
"If I do not hear from them" before October 12, 2013, I can "give them a call and they will send a mail to the local office" bla-bla, bla-bla...

My Timeline:
App recieved by CIC - November 12, 2010 --- Processing started - June 16, 2011 --- Transferred to St Clair - August 3, 2011 --- Test - September 15, 2011 --- RQ received by CIC - Februar 10, 2012 --- Waiting for 31 month now...

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
walitys said:
Hi all,

My Timeline:
Check the Federal Court decisions...search Writ of Mandamus you will get a list of cases. Contact the lawyers representing the (non CIC) appellant. it won't be cheap. Also chances of a lawyer taking the case when its within published processing times are slim to none..the Citizenship Act doesn't state a timeline to decision making!

Mr. Wannabee

May 8, 2011
Any time frame for CIC decision for permanent residency application? According to CIC website average time in Ottawa is about 17 months. How long should I wait for my permanrnt residency application to be processed in Case processing Ottawa. I am planning to get a lawyer for writ of mandamus. How long should I wait to get a lawyer? Thanks for your responses.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Mr. Wannabee said:
Any time frame for CIC decision for permanent residency application? According to CIC website average time in Ottawa is about 17 months. How long should I wait for my permanrnt residency application to be processed in Case processing Ottawa. I am planning to get a lawyer for writ of mandamus. How long should I wait to get a lawyer? Thanks for your responses.
There are subforums for residency applications. This is citizenship.