+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WP arrived-need a little advice re. entering Canada.

jillyk

Sep 12, 2011
Hi, very quickly I would just like to ask....

Myself and my common law partner just received our WP's for 3 years. He got an LMO and I got my work permit aswell because of our common-law status etc.

We are currently in Ireland (we got our permits while we were at home, both Irish) and he wants to return to Canada immediately. Can I return separately to him? As in he's leaving next week to start working again and I would like to spend Christmas at home with family and then return....

Also on the work permits it says, "this does not authorize re-entry". I understand this to mean that if you were from a country where you would need a visa to enter Canada you would still need to get it but because we are from Ireland we don't need visas so it is irrelevant?

Any input is greatly appreciated... I like to ask questions to be sure to be sure :D

Jillyk

nadeem55

Aug 3, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2011
Doc's Request.
15-04-2011
Nomination.....
????
AOR Received.
25-05-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with the initial application to CIO
File Transfer...
20-06-2011 to Buffalo
Med's Request
22-02-2013 from Ottawa
Med's Done....
27-02-2013
Interview........
Wavied :)
Passport Req..
05-04-2013 via Email
VISA ISSUED...
06 May, 2013
LANDED..........
11 May, 2013 Landed Immigrant :)
Hi,

Yes, you can go separately, there's no harm in it, but at the point of entry officer may ask your common-law partner.

Second: "This does not authorize re-entry" means if you're a citizen from a country who require visa before entering Canada, they need to apply first otherwise Work Permit solely doesn't let you in, and if you're from visa exempt country then this does not effect you.

Cheers and enjoy the time with your family.

Regards,
Nadeem

Nov 6, 2011
Hi Jillyk,

I can second that. I am an Irish citizen. Just moved back to Canada (Canadian citizen as well) with my EU partner (Polish). You'll have no problem whatsoever. Welcome to Canada and all the best to you and you partner on your new adventure!