+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would you approve or refuse? SOP with Dual Intent from Cuba

KanaPolak

Aug 30, 2015
Thanks for all the resources we have found on this great forum.

We are almost ready to submit our Study Application. I would like to present our SOP to everyone, maybe the forum can suggest some improvements?

I have changed the names of people and places.

November XX 2015
To:
Subject: Personal statement in support of application for a study permit

Dear Immigration Officer,

I, Marsha Gomez, am applying for a study permit to conduct my graduate studies in Canada. The University of Windsor has offered me full financial support and admission into the Master of Science program in Physiology, with an anticipated start date of January 10, 2016.

This past June I graduated with a Bachelor of Science from the University of Havana. During my undergraduate studies, I was part of the Research Group in Bioacoustics and Neuroethology, where I studied the neural processing of sound in the mammalian brain. I published the results of this research and also finished first in my undergraduate program, and as a result, I was given the opportunity to participate in the MIRTA program at Vandada University, Nicetown, Kentucky in the summer of 2015. There, under the guidance of Dr. White, I worked on a project related to the role of a specific brain region involved with addiction. I returned to Cuba in August following the completion of this program.

The years that I have spent as an undergraduate researcher have bestowed on me a genuine respect for physiology and neuroscience, and a deep desire to contribute to these scientific communities through continued research, with the ultimate goal of unraveling the mysteries of the diseased brain. However, particularly following my research experiences abroad, it has become apparent to me that Cuba cannot offer me a high quality of research training, as access to innovative training facilities and expert advisors in limited.

I seek graduate training from the University of Windsor Masters in Physiology Program because the training I will receive there will most effectively prepare me to compete for top positions in biomedical research worldwide. The Program – ranked among the three best in Canada – offers rare, specialized scientific training in techniques outside of my current expertise such as optogenetics, electrophysiology and biological engineering. The Department is also home to leading experts in my field including Drs. Blue, Gregory Red and Mr. Pink. Dr. Blue and I have been in close contact for the past several months and have already devised a Research Plan for my Master’s thesis, examining the neural basis of respiratory syndromes including central sleep apnea.

Critically, Dr. Blue has committed to paying my differential tuition fees, and will pay me an additional $20,000 CND a year as salary support. Thus, despite having the opportunity to complete my graduate studies in two other highly respected institutions (University of Frankfurt, Germany and Vandada University, USA) the University of Windsor is my top choice for reasons beyond the first-rate education system and global recognition of Canadian institutions. The generous financial support that I will receive at the University of Windsor will fully cover my tuition and all living expenses, allowing me to live comfortably while focusing on my studies.
Dual Intent - Current Permanent Residency Applicant

I currently have an application submitted for Permanent Residency in Canada through Spousal Sponsorship. My Canadian husband and I are very pleased that I may have the opportunity to study in Canada. Like me, my husband is career-oriented and we are both committed to my goal of one day completing a PhD, and ultimately becoming a professor so I may be a servant to science.

If, for whatever reason, my permanent residency application is refused, I fully intend to exit Canada when my study permit expires. If refused, it would not be possible for me to study for a PhD in Canada and I would not be able to continue this career in which I have invested my life and passion. The reason is simple and sincere: in order to become a biomedical researcher I require a PhD from a top university, and if I am not able to continue my research training through studying in Canada, my husband and I have agreed to relocate to another country that will offer me a PhD position. His job in the oil industry offers many opportunities for re-location.

Completing this Master’s program at the University of Windsor will be clear progress toward my goal of being a scientist, worldwide; whether I decide to continue my career in Canada, Cuba, Germany or elsewhere this study program will prove to be an invaluable experience. My desire for knowledge and my passion for science would not let me act in any other way.

Therefore, I kindly request to grant the study permit allowing me to obtain graduate training from Canada.

Yours sincerely,
Marsha Gomez

Approve or refuse?

Reactions: forestalt

NisargShivali

Star Member
Jun 26, 2015
KanaPolak said:

We are almost ready to submit our Study Application. I would like to present our SOP to everyone, maybe the forum can suggest some improvements?

November XX 2015
To:

I, Marsha Gomez, am applying for a study permit to conduct my graduate studies in Canada. The University of Windsor has offered me full financial support and admission into the Master of Science program in Physiology, with an anticipated start date of January 10, 2016.

This past June I graduated with a Bachelor of Science from the University of Havana. During my undergraduate studies, I was part of the Research Group in Bioacoustics and Neuroethology, where I studied the neural processing of sound in the mammalian brain. I published the results of this research and also finished first in my undergraduate program, and as a result, I was given the opportunity to participate in the MIRTA program at Vandada University, Nicetown, Kentucky in the summer of 2015. There, under the guidance of Dr. White, I worked on a project related to the role of a specific brain region involved with addiction. I returned to Cuba in August following the completion of this program.

The years that I have spent as an undergraduate researcher have bestowed on me a genuine respect for physiology and neuroscience, and a deep desire to contribute to these scientific communities through continued research, with the ultimate goal of unraveling the mysteries of the diseased brain. However, particularly following my research experiences abroad, it has become apparent to me that Cuba cannot offer me a high quality of research training, as access to innovative training facilities and expert advisors in limited.

I seek graduate training from the University of Windsor Masters in Physiology Program because the training I will receive there will most effectively prepare me to compete for top positions in biomedical research worldwide. The Program – ranked among the three best in Canada – offers rare, specialized scientific training in techniques outside of my current expertise such as optogenetics, electrophysiology and biological engineering. The Department is also home to leading experts in my field including Drs. Blue, Gregory Red and Mr. Pink. Dr. Blue and I have been in close contact for the past several months and have already devised a Research Plan for my Master’s thesis, examining the neural basis of respiratory syndromes including central sleep apnea.

Critically, Dr. Blue has committed to paying my differential tuition fees, and will pay me an additional $20,000 CND a year as salary support. Thus, despite having the opportunity to complete my graduate studies in two other highly respected institutions (University of Frankfurt, Germany and Vandada University, USA) the University of Windsor is my top choice for reasons beyond the first-rate education system and global recognition of Canadian institutions. The generous financial support that I will receive at the University of Windsor will fully cover my tuition and all living expenses, allowing me to live comfortably while focusing on my studies.

I currently have an application submitted for Permanent Residency in Canada through Spousal Sponsorship. My Canadian husband and I are very pleased that I may have the opportunity to study in Canada. Like me, my husband is career-oriented and we are both committed to my goal of one day completing a PhD, and ultimately becoming a professor so I may be a servant to science.

If, for whatever reason, my permanent residency application is refused, I fully intend to exit Canada when my study permit expires. If refused, it would not be possible for me to study for a PhD in Canada and I would not be able to continue this career in which I have invested my life and passion. The reason is simple and sincere: in order to become a biomedical researcher I require a PhD from a top university, and if I am not able to continue my research training through studying in Canada, my husband and I have agreed to relocate to another country that will offer me a PhD position. His job in the oil industry offers many opportunities for re-location.

Completing this Master’s program at the University of Windsor will be clear progress toward my goal of being a scientist, worldwide; whether I decide to continue my career in Canada, Cuba, Germany or elsewhere this study program will prove to be an invaluable experience. My desire for knowledge and my passion for science would not let me act in any other way.

Therefore, I kindly request to grant the study permit allowing me to obtain graduate training from Canada.

Yours sincerely,
Marsha Gomez

Approve or refuse?
Hi KanaPolak,
I read your post. It was very helpful.
I just want to know whether you got the visa approved?

Ylover207

Star Member
Aug 6, 2020
Hello
Could you

November XX 2015
To:

Yours sincerely,
Marsha Gomez

Approve or refuse?
Hello could you
get your visa ?!