+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would Study Pemit be denied if I want to study something different from my field?

May 3, 2019
Hi guys,
I studied Medicine and I've been working for 10 years as a physician in my country. Now I am really tired of that and my intention is to do something entirely different. I will apply for a Trade certificate or diploma in Holland College in PEI. Anyone knows if considering my situation my study permit will be rejected? Thanks

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You will need to explain this shift in your studies clearly and compellingly, or a visa officer will reject your application because it is inconsistent with your previous training and work experience. You may want to take initial steps at home to do some training or work in this field first, to show that you are making significant life changes in line with the study permit.

A visa officer will absolutely be confused as to why a physician is taking up trades, as it will appear to be a regression, especially since you could easily obtain PR in Canada with a medical degree and 10 years work experience.