+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would living with BF's parents intervene gaining Common Law Status/PR?

Charliesaurus

Sep 17, 2014
Leeds, England, United Kingdom.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey,

So I'm looking for some information on gaining PR. I'm going to be going down the Common Law status route - me and my boyfriend are hopefully going to be together for 365 days from September 2015. However, we are going to be living together under his parents house.

Now I've read on CIC that to prove your common law status, there are several different options you can give them listed below;

"Common-law partner
You are a common-law partner—either of the opposite sex or the same sex—if:
you have been living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year in an ongoing 12-month period (you are allowed short absences for business travel or family reasons).
You will need proof that you and your common-law partner have combined your affairs and set up a household together. This can be in the form of proof of:
joint bank accounts or credit cards.
joint ownership of a home.
joint residential leases.
joint rental receipts,
joint registration or payment of utilities (electricity, gas, telephone),
joint management of household expenses,
joint purchases, especially of household items, or
mail addressed to either person or both people at the same address."

So, as a non-citizen, and a visitor on a British passport... there are few ways (I believe) in what I can give evidence for. I've learn bank accounts are feasible for us. However, the rest doesn't look promising without citizenship or a permit of some description? Can anyone help?

We can't really afford a property of our own - and thus are living with his parents. Would this effect attempting to gain common law status?

Thanks a lot guys!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You should really post this to the Family Class section of the forum.