+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would like some answers to questions!

moosetrail7

Dec 6, 2016
As title states, I am looking for advice. All of the Canada Immigration subs on reddit are dead and the cic website doesn't help much. (We will consult a lawyer when we are ready but we just want to know a few answers before hand!)

My fiancé is a Canadian citizen and I am a US citizen. I am trying to move to Canada with him when we're married.

He's almost done with University and me (being a lot younger) have only completed 3 semesters of Community College here in the States. Would my lack of education affect my family sponsorship application?

Do I have to do an interview to be able to move there through family sponsorship? If so, what can I do to help my case?

Can I move there AFTER I apply for PR and after he applies for sponsorship, or will I have to wait for 14 months in the States while our application processes?

What can we do to prove our relationship is not fraud? I tend to over think things a lot and I'm very scared whoever looks over our application will deny me. We met on the Internet and we have plane ticket receipts and Skype logs. But most of our communication has been through Kik (and I'm not sure how I can get those logs) and we have been together for 3 years...

Does it look suspicious if we start the application immediately after marrying? Does it matter if we marry in the US or Canada?

Is there anything else we need to know before we get married and start the long journey towards my PR?

Thank you :3

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
moosetrail7 said:
As title states, I am looking for advice. All of the Canada Immigration subs on reddit are dead and the cic website doesn't help much. (We will consult a lawyer when we are ready but we just want to know a few answers before hand!)
there is no need to use an immigration lawyer, assuming you do not have any major legal or dependant (children) issues. this forum will give you better information for free. do not waste money on a consultant or attorney - they are known to give very bad advice!

moosetrail7 said:
He's almost done with University and me (being a lot younger) have only completed 3 semesters of Community College here in the States. Would my lack of education affect my family sponsorship application?
no - educational background is irrelevant to spousal sponsorship. while they ask for your educational information, it has no bearing on approval.

moosetrail7 said:
Do I have to do an interview to be able to move there through family sponsorship? If so, what can I do to help my case?
a majority of us applicants are waived the interview. an interview is generally called if they have doubts about the validity of your relationship or if there is some criminal or dependant issue. if you can prove your relationship and have no major issues, then you can assume you will not need to have an interview. if you are called for an interview, you will be given notification so you can provide additional information to relieve their concerns. again, there is a slim-0 change of an interview if your case is straight forward. us interviews are held in LA, BTW - regardless of the piece of paper in the application that suggests there is an option in NY.

moosetrail7 said:
Can I move there AFTER I apply for PR and after he applies for sponsorship, or will I have to wait for 14 months in the States while our application processes?
first thing to note is the times listed on the cic website are not averages. it suggests 80% of applications are processed within that timeframe, which means a majority of applications are processed in much less time. right now, the average time for us applicants we see on this forum is 4.5-6 months total time.

second thing - you apply for pr and he applies for sponsorship at the same time. both applications go into the same package and are sent to CIC together.

third - you can't legally "move to" or "live in" canada until you are approved for pr. you CAN visit your husband in canada when your application is processing, and stay there during the entire process - assuming you keep your status by extending your stay as needed. it is especially important to understand this distinction and use the right language when you are at the border.

moosetrail7 said:
What can we do to prove our relationship is not fraud? I tend to over think things a lot and I'm very scared whoever looks over our application will deny me. We met on the Internet and we have plane ticket receipts and Skype logs. But most of our communication has been through Kik (and I'm not sure how I can get those logs) and we have been together for 3 years...
answer the questions truthfully and show them your relationship is known to your family and friends. you can take screen shots of social media pages to show important dates and events, pictures of you two together and with other people, receipts/vendor info and guest lists for your ceremony/reception, as well as all you listed. you do not need to provide transcripts or proof of texts/communication. simply mentioning it in the application and suggesting proof is available if needed is enough. know that us/canadian couples have a low threshold for proving their relationship, so there's no reason to assume your application will be rejected. my application package was 97 pages total - including all our proof and required documents. your application does not need to be substantially large - it needs to make sense.

moosetrail7 said:
Does it look suspicious if we start the application immediately after marrying? Does it matter if we marry in the US or Canada?
No and No.

moosetrail7 said:
Is there anything else we need to know before we get married and start the long journey towards my PR?
it's really not that long of a journey - you can be approved in about 6 months. use an FBI Channeler for your FBI report, since it takes 4-5 months to get it directly from the FBI these days. There is a list of approved channelers on the CIC website. Make sure to time your medical exam to as close to when you plan to submit your application, so you do run into any expiration issues.

moosetrail7

Dec 6, 2016
What if we get married at a court house? Like if we can't afford to have a big reception or anything, will just having a few people with us to sign the marriage certificate be enough? We'd like to have a big ceremony later on when we can afford it but right now we're focusing on getting together and starting our life!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
moosetrail7 said:
What if we get married at a court house? Like if we can't afford to have a big reception or anything, will just having a few people with us to sign the marriage certificate be enough? We'd like to have a big ceremony later on when we can afford it but right now we're focusing on getting together and starting our life!
small courthouse ceremonies are fine. you can explain all of this in your application. courthouse weddings are not unique these days, so it's not something that causes suspicion.

stop trying to find reasons you'll be rejected, otherwise you will be driving yourself crazy. it is very rare us/canadian couples are rejected. submit what you can, answer questions truthfully and clearly, and assume you'll be approved.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
moosetrail7 said:
Just want to make sure that you understand that you'll be submitting both, simultaneously. Your `package' will include:

The forms and required documents for sponsor approval

The forms and required documents for you to be approved for sponsorship

The proof of your relationship with your [soon-to-be husband] sponsor.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
moosetrail7 said:
Thank you so much! This thread put me at ease a bit.
another thing to add. if he's not going to be living in canada at the time you submit your application, you will need to include information about your plans to settle in canada. you do not need to have a concrete plan, as cic is aware it is not possible to have certain things set in stone. what you do need to do is write a clear plan of how you will start your lives in canada. this can include research done on jobs, cities, companies, etc as well as letters from family in canada who will support you while you get on your feet. basically, cic needs to be convinced you will not seek social assistance (welfare) upon moving to canada. if he plans to be in canada when you submit the application, then none of this applies.

best of luck!

moosetrail7

Dec 6, 2016
His parents are extremely helpful and will 100% help financially support us until we are on our own feet. Hopefully them writing a letter and declaring that will look good as well! Thanks!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
moosetrail7 said:
His parents are extremely helpful and will 100% help financially support us until we are on our own feet. Hopefully them writing a letter and declaring that will look good as well! Thanks!
yes, that is an excellent thing to have in your package.