+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would knee surgery cause any complications in Medical Exam?

tehminanawaz

Sep 3, 2018
Hi everyone,

I submitted my PR application in October 2018. In two months, it will be a full year since I applied and my previous medical will expire. I need to get knee surgery because I completely tore my ACL. If I still don't hear back from CIC, I will be having my medical exam again in around 2 months after going through my ACL surgery.

I wanted to ask since I will not have full mobility in my knee in that time, will this create issues in my medical exam. I am really concerned about this and I am considering whether it would be better to have the surgery after my medical exam in around two months. Advice on this will be much appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

I submitted my PR application in October 2018. In two months, it will be a full year since I applied and my previous medical will expire. I need to get knee surgery because I completely tore my ACL. If I still don't hear back from CIC, I will be having my medical exam again in around 2 months after going through my ACL surgery.

I wanted to ask since I will not have full mobility in my knee in that time, will this create issues in my medical exam. I am really concerned about this and I am considering whether it would be better to have the surgery after my medical exam in around two months. Advice on this will be much appreciated.
As long as you have surgery in your home country it will not be an issue. This is hopefully a one time surgery and not a longterm condition that will be expensive to treat. Just be honest at your medical exam and say that you have had your acl repaired.

tehminanawaz

Sep 3, 2018
Thank you so much, barring any complications in the surgery, this will be a one time surgery and I will have it in my home country a few months before the medical exam.

tehminanawaz

Sep 3, 2018
As long as you have surgery in your home country it will not be an issue. This is hopefully a one time surgery and not a longterm condition that will be expensive to treat. Just be honest at your medical exam and say that you have had your acl repaired.
The recovery time for my surgery is longer than what was initially expected as the doctor had to repair my meniscus as well. I won't be able to walk without crutches for 6 weeks and I need to complete my medical in 3 weeks. Is it possible to request an extension on my medical exam since it won't expire until two months from now?

tegbir_93

May 28, 2019
Hi Tehmina Nawaz,

I had a question with your situation. Did your medical pass? I have partial tear in ACL. I did not go for surgery as my knee got well with exercise. I wanted to see if it is a serious problem for IRCC and if the cost of it is a lot for them to reject the case.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Tehmina Nawaz,

I had a question with your situation. Did your medical pass? I have partial tear in ACL. I did not go for surgery as my knee got well with exercise. I wanted to see if it is a serious problem for IRCC and if the cost of it is a lot for them to reject the case.

Thanks,
Tegbir
Of course not.

tegbir_93

May 28, 2019
No it isn't a chronic issue just an injury.
I am thinking to just write it in the LOE (when I upload my file for Express entry) about my past ACL injury just to avoid any problem if they check my medical history with Canadian Medical system. Do you think it should be fine to write it in LOE.? I am just worried that I am not doing any misrepresentation by not telling it to CIC. @canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am thinking to just write it in the LOE (when I upload my file for Express entry) about my past ACL injury just to avoid any problem if they check my medical history with Canadian Medical system. Do you think it should be fine to write it in LOE.? I am just worried that I am not doing any misrepresentation by not telling it to CIC. @canuck78
Just mention it to your panel physician. It isn’t a big deal. I wouldn’t worry too much.

Dhruvisha

Jun 4, 2021
Hii everyone,
I had my medical examinations before 2 months and recently i got ligament injury which require surgery. What should be the next step after my recovery will i need to have my medical examinations again?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hii everyone,
I had my medical examinations before 2 months and recently i got ligament injury which require surgery. What should be the next step after my recovery will i need to have my medical examinations again?
You should mention it if you are required to do another medical but other than that no issues. Once you have your surgery there are no further treatment.

Dhruvisha

Jun 4, 2021
You should mention it if you are required to do another medical but other than that no issues. Once you have your surgery there are no further treatment.
What if i do not have my medical again and mention in the visa application . Will it have any complications?