+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would it be worth it to get married to get my PR?

pgcaro

Nov 22, 2012
Hello,
I've been living in Québec for the las 3.5 years. I've finished my M.Sc in a Quebecois institution and I am currently doing my PhD at the same place. I've been dating a canadian citizen for the past 3 years, and we started living together last June (2012). Next year I will be done with my program requierements to start my CSQ and eventually ask for my PR. We are in no hurry to marry, we are very happy with the way things are right now. We do want to get married eventually, but at first the idea was to wait until I was done with my studies. Now my question is if it would be worth it (time and money wise) to get married and start the process as an sponsorship or if it wouldn't change much compared to me doing the whole process on my own.
Thank you

gsize

May 2, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009....denied Feb 2010.....appeal allowed (August 2012)..waiting for processing
Doc's Request.
04/04/2013
File Transfer...
30/01/2013
Med's Done....
04/2013 (second time)
Passport Req..
21/02, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
18/03/2014
LANDED..........
05/04/2014
pgcaro said:
Hello,
I've been living in Québec for the las 3.5 years. I've finished my M.Sc in a Quebecois institution and I am currently doing my PhD at the same place. I've been dating a canadian citizen for the past 3 years, and we started living together last June (2012). Next year I will be done with my program requierements to start my CSQ and eventually ask for my PR. We are in no hurry to marry, we are very happy with the way things are right now. We do want to get married eventually, but at first the idea was to wait until I was done with my studies. Now my question is if it would be worth it (time and money wise) to get married and start the process as an sponsorship or if it wouldn't change much compared to me doing the whole process on my own.
Thank you
the other option is to wait until June 2013, and then file under 'common law' .

pgcaro

Nov 22, 2012
gsize said:
the other option is to wait until June 2013, and then file under 'common law' .
We've thougt about it, but since the whole process takes so long, I could actually applied as a skilled worker alone before becoming common law. In that case I don't know if time wise it would end up being the same or it would take even longer if I wait

gsize

May 2, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009....denied Feb 2010.....appeal allowed (August 2012)..waiting for processing
Doc's Request.
04/04/2013
File Transfer...
30/01/2013
Med's Done....
04/2013 (second time)
Passport Req..
21/02, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
18/03/2014
LANDED..........
05/04/2014
interesting. Best to wait for someone who knows more than I. Having said that.....maybe you should speak to a Lawyer or Imm consultant. They will often give you a free consultation. Immigration is such a mess. I highly suggest you look at the pros and cons of each......its difficult because they hold all the cards ! Good luck !

pgcaro

Nov 22, 2012
gsize said:
interesting. Best to wait for someone who knows more than I. Having said that.....maybe you should speak to a Lawyer or Imm consultant. They will often give you a free consultation. Immigration is such a mess. I highly suggest you look at the pros and cons of each......its difficult because they hold all the cards ! Good luck !
Thank you, that's what I was thinking too, but I want to get as much info as I can, and this seemed like a good place to start.